June 2017 SAM

Jonny

Normally I find the latest SAM on the shelves a few days before the end of the preceding month.  It didn't appear and I was thinking my only two local newsagents might have sold out while I was away from home.

This morning there it was !!!!  There's a nice reminder by Gary Hatcher about the benefits of taking a subscription and so on.  Then a useful walk around on the F86A Sabre, the one that was at Duxford, with nice photos and text ... which suddenly morfes into a build of  Airfix's new Ju87 complete with a quite nice photo of the assembled kit.  It took me a minute to realise the page numbers jumped from 20 (the last concerning the F86A) to 25, (half way through the Ju87 build).  All is not completely lost because pages 21 to 38 follow, which are followed by an un-numbered 13 Page Aircraft in Profile about '86 Fighter Interceptor Wing'.  this is followed by pages 54 to 64 (page 64 us the start of a build article of a 1/48 Prone position Meteor) and then we're back to page 21, the end of the F86A walk around, then pages 22 - the start of the Ju87 build - to 24 and then pages 65 to the end of the magazine.

It's obvious something's gone awry with the binding and subsequent Quality Control.  However, I do expect better for my £4:50. I was contemplating taking out a subscription as recommended by Mr. Hatcher but oddly, there is no information in this  edition as to how one goes about arranging it!   Oh well - another evil plan I was making hits the dust.

Enjoy!

Congratulations on buying a copy , so many who comment here on magazines proudly boast of only ever standing reading them in W H  Smiths.

Looks like you have found a rogue copy, got mine earlier this week and found no problems with it but over the years have found it can happen with most publishers ,    subscription advice if you are still looking for it is in the bottom right-hand corner of page 83 just below the advert for the Scout & Wasp Warpaint.

Did you try asking the shop to replace it or contact Guideline to let them know about the problem so that it might be avoided in the future?  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Des said:

Congratulations on buying a copy , so many who comment here on magazines proudly boast of only ever standing reading them in W H  Smiths.

Really, any evidence to pick up this rather sweeping comment ?

43 minutes ago, Des said:

Did you try asking the shop to replace it or contact Guideline to let them know about the problem so that it might be avoided in the future?  

Sadly, I bought it on the way to a meeting and commented here after a quick scan of my copy. I managed to make. I posted my remarks here while waiting for someone to arrive for the meeting. I will contact Guideline directly, I think

Thanks for your comments.

Jonny

...and some of 'em end up locked too. :shrug:  Best way of reporting a problem with a mag is to speak to them directly.  If it's just a "was it just me?" type thread, that's fine, but do remember to go direct also.  We've got no way of knowing if any magazine staff post here, so you could just be wasting your breath.

Good news: at least I haven't missed it, as I feared.

Bad news: doesn't sound as if there'll be anything in it to justify my buying it - which is why I don't take out a subscription.

Bit of a black not to have it on the shelves for the Bank Holiday.

3 hours ago, Des said:

One of my pet hates.

Yes, have a flick through to see if the contents interest you, if the don't put it back, if they do buy the thing!

WHSmiths IS NOT A LIBRARY! :fuyou_2:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Most every thread complaining about magazines in general features these posts.

6 hours ago, Des said:

Beat me to it Paul.

Very odd, I have never really noticed this happening.

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Teething problems with the two different versions (shop lite & subscription extra pages) of the mag?

That's exactly what I think has happened.  

I was wondering where it was last Thursday when I popped into my local Smiths. All the opposition mags were there but SAM was missing.

It's a shame they seem to have muddled up their paging system this time round. I'll probably still buy it. It might even become a collector's item :)

I see that all the time in numerous model mags these days. It is not uncommon for a model review to quote the wrong scale in the article title. I presume it's a function of using a standard layout for each segment followed by poor proof reading.

• Like 1

I'm a subscriber and there is no problem with the page order in my issue. It is correct that the Aircraft in Profile section pages aren't numbered and looking at previous editions some of the pages are numbered so this appears to be an error.

Assuming we're all talking about the same edition which I think we are then I'm sure I am not the only one noting the slight irony in the title of this thread pointing out the mistakes in the June issue of the magazine when in fact it is May's edition.

2 hours ago, Latinbear said:

I'm a subscriber and there is no problem with the page order in my issue. It is correct that the Aircraft in Profile section pages aren't numbered and looking at previous editions some of the pages are numbered so this appears to be an error.

Assuming we're all talking about the same edition which I think we are then I'm sure I am not the only one noting the slight irony in the title of this thread pointing out the mistakes in the June issue of the magazine when in fact it is May's edition.

Most monthly magazines are printed for the month ahead - so we are talking about the issue published end of April 2017/beginning May 2017 and dated for June 2017 - to be exact Volume 39, issue 03.

There is no irony in the title of the thread - the op is quite correct in the title - we are indeed talking about the June issue.

30 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Most monthly magazines are printed for the month ahead - so we are talking about the issue published end of April 2017/beginning May 2017 and dated for June 2017 - to be exact Volume 39, issue 03.

There is no irony in the title of the thread - the op is quite correct in the title - we are indeed talking about the June issue.

I would have thought that if the magazine has May printed on the cover which Volume 39 issue 3 has then it is the May issue.

I do miss my SAM,SAMI and MAI,at the end of the month but since joining BM I stopped as I get review's,news,great build's and get to chat

to folk's too and there ain't many question's you cannot get answered as well!

45 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

I would have thought that if the magazine has May printed on the cover which Volume 39 issue 3 has then it is the May issue.

My apologies - I misread the date on the issue - think I need new glasses - I am slightly myopic....

(shortsighted):oops:

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:55 PM, treker_ed said:

My apologies - I misread the date on the issue - think I need new glasses - I am slightly myopic....

(shortsighted):oops:

Your reply gave me a chuckle this morning. Happily accepted. :winkgrin: