Top Gun - decals for Maverick's F14? (1/48 scale)

Fandango

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help me. I'm trying to find a decal sheet that will let me build Maverick's F14 from the classic Top Gun film. I thought I had found exactly what I needed in Fightertown decals sheet 48077 Best of the Best, but after extensive searching it seems to be out of print and no-one has any left in stock. I've emailed Fightertown directly, got an initial reply saying they thought it was out of stock and would check, but nothing more despite a follow up email from me.

So with that sheet appearing to no longer be an option (unless anyone has one they are prepared to sell?) , can anyone point me to another source of these decals? I've searched google extensively and the only option seems to be to try and track down the old Testors(?) F14 boxing on ebay and hope the decals are usable, I'm really hoping someone can point me towards an alternative!

Cheers

Tom

Just yesterday I found these by accident while looking for totally different stuff

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1-48-USAF-US-AirForce-F-14-VF-1-VFA-213-Tomcat-Fighter-Model-Water-Decal-5721-/132178065059?hash=item1ec66d36a3

According to Scalemates they are from a company named Globaltoy, of which I've heard nothing before. The title is very generic, most likely because they didn't want to pay royalties to the Top Gun movie production company or whoever, in any case the insignia in that sheet have little to do with markings worn by Tomcats in squadron service but are the same used in the movie...

Of course, as I don't know anything about the company, I know nothing about the quality of these decals

Thanks a lot, that was a really handy link. Using that item title I searched around and found a listing on the US ebay so I could understand the text. I've taken a punt and ordered a set, hopefully the quality is ok. I'm still open to other ideas though, in case they turn out to be a waste of money!

Cheers

Tom

On 2017-5-4 at 0:11 PM, tempestfan said:

AFAIK, the Testors Top Gun F-14 is 1/72 (probably Italeri), as is the Airfix and the AMT (likely Esci).

There was an 1/48th scale release as well - Testors #293, a Revell repop. 

Cheers,

Andre