9 hours ago, Mike said:

Looking great Andy - how have you resisted the urge to put the bits together already? :)

Cheers Mike. Partly cause I'm not absolutely convinced the various colours are going to work together, so I'm kind of putting off the moment of truth, and partly because I get ahead of myself with most builds. I only finished putting the legs together on Monday, long after I'd started the painting and weathering on the hull and cockpit.

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

A typically informative WIP Andy - are you planning to display the finished model work of art on a diorama base?

It had crossed my mind to do a simple base, but I'll probably leave it as it is for now. I'll hopefully be getting another at some point, which I might do on an Endor themed base, since most people will probably do them on a Hoth base. I like to be different :D

Andy

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Cheers Mike. Partly cause I'm not absolutely convinced the various colours are going to work together, so I'm kind of putting off the moment of truth, and partly because I get ahead of myself with most builds. I only finished putting the legs together on Monday, long after I'd started the painting and weathering on the hull and cockpit.

Your lost me at "getting ahead of myself". I don't know what that's like! :lol:

• Like 1

Only a little more progress over the last day or two. The legs have had some preliminary weathering. Just enamel washes, and a bit of grime/staining here and there. I'll probably add some more once it's all built up, but I don't want to over do it, as it's such a small scale

34619211331_cf3ba70be6_b.jpg

The hull's had some light weathering too. The panel lines have had a black pin wash, although it doesn't show that well. I've also highlighted the tops of the centre panels with a light dust enamel wash, which has helped define them a little better. The red panel's had some grime added, although again nothing too strong at this stage. I'll be adding some further weathering with oils, but only after it's all together, as I don't want to have to handle it too much after the oils are applied

34750977345_cb0230b6f1_b.jpg

34619209621_6f72e4c05f_b.jpg

34366191650_8d6dbfe85f_b.jpg

34750976045_8124cf46bb_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 9

That's really starting to come together with the extra layers of grime.  people often forget (self included) that you don't have to achieve it all in the one session. :)

• Like 1

Not an update as such, as I've not done any more paint/weathering since the last post, but I have started to put it together. Actually, it's pretty much all together apart from the upper hull

34718798316_534edcfa9c_b.jpg

34627032571_f97785d8a4_b.jpg

34627033261_4e7e1c6181_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 15

Looking boss, Andy :D

I just learned from a build vid on one of these that the main guns under the chin are 88mm cannon from a Tiger.

It seems a bit apt for it, lol

Gaz

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, R0ver said:

This thread has convinced me to order an AT-AT

Cheers Kev, Keep checking ebay for the prices. The place I got mine from usually sell them for around £45-46, but they marked them down to £40 at one point, which is when I ordered mine. Helped off-set the inevitable vat and post office fees

4 minutes ago, GazB said:

I just learned from a build vid on one of these that the main guns under the chin are 88mm cannon from a Tiger.

It seems a bit apt

Thanks Gaz,

It makes you wonder what ILM would have done if Tamiya hadn't been around in the 70's

Andy

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Cheers Kev, Keep checking ebay for the prices. The place I got mine from usually sell them for around £45-46, but they marked them down to £40 at one point, which is when I ordered mine. Helped off-set the inevitable vat and post office fees

Thanks Gaz,

It makes you wonder what ILM would have done if Tamiya hadn't been around in the 70's

Andy

Thank you sir. Just ordered one on ebay for under £42 so pretty happy with that. They seem to be the perfect size for diorama scenes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GazB said:

10 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

And who would not have wanted a job in ILM's special effects shop back in the day: presumably today the same models are a combination of CGI renders and 3D printing?

• Like 2

Man, never ceases to amaze how good you can make a model look Andy.......and it's not even finished !!

What type of enamel did you use this time for the grime (body and red bumped bit) ?  MIG Engine Grime or something else ?

Just watched Rogue One again tonight. You got the right leg up in the air. That shot of the front left foot coming down hard on the beach is one of my favourite shots. So epic !

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 2

Thanks guys,

51 minutes ago, Portaler said:

What type of enamel did you use this time for the grime (body and red bumped bit) ?  MIG Engine Grime or something else ?

Yeah, mainly AMMO engine grime, with some AK Kriegsmarine grey wash on the grey parts. The panel line wash on the hull was AK NATO wash, as it was the only thing dark enough to show up against the dark grey and blue.

Andy

15 hours ago, Gekko_1 said:

Looking good Andy. Seeing it like that, without its upper body on, has given me an idea! :wicked:

:popcorn:

There is something about it that looks "right" isn't there: perhaps it could be used as the basis for a Combat Engineer or Logistics role.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Thanks Gaz,

Andy

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

And who would not have wanted a job in ILM's special effects shop back in the day: presumably today the same models are a combination of CGI renders and 3D printing?

It appears these days they're going back to including more practical effects over complete CGI. It seems that way at least. But I have heard they're using 3D printing more now.

I still think some of the best original sci-fi vehicles originate from kitbashing, such as the Star Wars vehicles and the Aliens dropship.

Gaz

Edited by GazB
Adding sentence.
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone,

I spent yesterday tinkering with the weathering, mainly adding a bit more shading and highlighting, and a few streaks here and there, and I've decided to call it done. I could keep adding more but, given the small scale, I think it would start to look over-worked. I'd rather keep it more on the subtle side, although admittedly I may already have gone beyond that point :hmmm:

The hull's had some more enamel work, and some of the raised details have been highlighted in acrylic. Most of the hatches have had some oil paint shading around them, to give them a little more definition. There's also some very subtle streaking, which was done with watercolour pencils

34640011542_396c93bb22_b.jpg

33992903333_27a8a5881d_b.jpg

The legs and feet have had some shading and dirt added, using a few oily/grimy colours

34416509130_c94241d512_b.jpg

After adding the main hull to the chassis and legs, the last things to attach were the two flak shields on either side of the 222 armoured car

34640002722_ddde8cda41_b.jpg

So that's it; build finished. It's gone together much faster than I'd initially thought it would, but the kit's deceptively simple, especially considering how much detail Bandai have packed into it. For my money (all 50 quid of it, courtesy of the post office and their fees) it's the best (Star Wars) kit Bandai have produced to date. I can't think of much they could have done to improve it, apart from make it bigger of course.

Thanks to everyone for following along. I'll get the finished shots up in RFI shortly.

Andy

• Like 11

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, AndyRM101 said:

Not an update as such, as I've not done any more paint/weathering since the last post, but I have started to put it together. Actually, it's pretty much all together apart from the upper hull

34718798316_534edcfa9c_b.jpg

34627032571_f97785d8a4_b.jpg

34627033261_4e7e1c6181_b.jpg

Andy

Andy, looks like a "Skinny" Elephant in this shot!  I Love It!

• Like 1