HIJMS Mogami 1/350

58 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's incredible, those little guys are 1/350? How big is a figure in that scale? I can't even picture it...

Boat looks nice, by the way :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Yeah! I think they'd be about 4 or 5mm tall? Too small for detail. More an L. S. Lowry type impression I think!

4 or 5mm for the figures is actually quite a bit bigger than I expected, because my brain just grinned weakly and waved at me when I suggested it try to work out the size for me - those figures are injection-moulded too, aren't they? Not etched?

That hull looks very nicely worn, the way I would imagine a ship in the midst of a repaint might look B)

Is that a tin of the new B5 Blue weighing down the instructions?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

I felt that since it was being portrayed as a bit tatty topsides and being repainted, it would look inappropriate being a wall of unblemished red below the surface of the (clear) water.

That is indeed a tin of B5, left there after taking a photo of it on Saturday!

17 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Thanks Brian :) What about you? Have you opened the box yet?

Hi Jamie, I have opened the box in awe, then closed it again. I'm going to ease myself into ships gently with the Liberty Ship Jerry O'Brien,  I visited a few years back in San Francisco with lots of happy memories & photographs. I have a few other build to complete first, then onto a floaty thing, a first for me.

Cheers

Brian

• Like 2

Thanks Rob,

It's nothing fancy - I sprayed it cream first then drew vaguely rectangular lozenges in with the airbrush to suggest at some "oil canning" between frames etc

20170514_162432_zpsdeoevlun.jpg

20170514_162422_zpsfpbtwib1.jpg

Then blended it in with more red until I got something that looked half-way credible I suppose? I think it looks better than solid red.

• Like 7

That is good, it adds a 'texture' to the surface which provides interest and with the subtle approach gives a realistic look. I also like the soft rust effect modelled to look like old worn paint, combined with more newly repainted portions adds a great appearance. It's also enhanced by realistic looking colour shades - there's certainly a few tips we could pick up here. 

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

Neat work the paint work with all these weathering effects is stunning.

Good luck with painting all these little guys :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I hadn't touched this (or any ship really) since the last post by me up there ^.

Photobucket since committed commercial suicide and this thread is one of many of mine that would require retrieval of old photos, rehosting and rebuilding of threads and frankly I just haven't got the time to do that.

I had decided not to go to work yesterday late last week so spent the weekend doing the usual sort of stuff that consumes all the time I'm not at my day job and yesterday felt sufficiently recovered from the soul-sucking monotony of being a self-sufficient adult to do some ship modelling. I had taken this out of the box many times since May, shuddered at the thought and put it away again. Yesterday, I enjoyed it.

I think I have lost my touch a bit due to lack of practise, but I have surprisingly little to show for several hours stolen here and there over the course of yesterday:

resized_b2a9b101-d185-4a69-836b-0a5cc073

resized_3ea8f49f-c3a8-441c-b4d7-0b0f9343

resized_bc93c5a0-50a7-4678-ba7f-fe2484ee

resized_1949118b-c18d-4390-a45d-1033dc6e

resized_c48b0486-0173-4c8c-a1e3-349d66b8

• Like 4

Very neat PE there Jamie I know what you mean about things getting in the way at work and real life but even if you think you have not done much it is always nice to be able to say you actually did do something if you know what I mean  :rage:

beefy

• Like 1

Hi Will,

That platform still needs the full treatment, as does the gun platform aft of the funnel. I agree with you - the kit ladders look very crude. I was planning to dress up that one but ran out of time :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Will,

That platform still needs the full treatment, as does the gun platform aft of the funnel. I agree with you - the kit ladders look very crude. I was planning to dress up that one but ran out of time :)

It's going to look swell! 

Based on Will's post, I decided to tackle that particular platform next. The WEM set comes with bespoke railing sections for each location on the ship with suitably positioned stanchions. My personal preference is to use as large sections of railing as possible, pre-bend then tack them on with medium CA one straight at a time.

Some people prefer to chop them in to tiny bits and/or use slow setting glues like PVA. I personally find it harder to get satisfactory joins consistently between bits of railing than it is to work with a longer length so chopping railings up doesn't work for me. I also lack the patience for PVA and prefer the rapid tacking of CA glues. Again, running a little glue in to 1/2" lengths at a time and working along a railing seems easier to me. But there you go - there are many ways to do it and you will hate most of them and like one.

resized_7daac2cb-d5cc-40a0-b03c-860eb1c6

resized_2289545c-60b8-4759-9f34-963d7322

resized_84f1a67f-65d2-47e6-a7dc-d549be5f

resized_4f541085-dfb2-42d2-8df5-1c940565

• Like 5