A6M Zero canopy questions

I have a question regarding Zero canopies. Was the canopy used on the Model 21 and 22 the same? Did the canopy change for the Type 52 and subsequent types? Or, were the canopies one size fits all? As an aside, which models did not have the antennae? On that one I have some information regarding the removal of the antennae on an individual basis, but need to know if there was any factory mandated discontinuation of antennae placement. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Hi, Spitfire addict,

Canopies in Model 21 and 22 are the same for sure (only the engine changed). The rest... I should check, though aftermarket examples (i.e., Squadron's) are advertised as compatible to any variant. Antennae?

Fernando

18 hours ago, Spitfire addict said:

I have a question regarding Zero canopies. Was the canopy used on the Model 21 and 22 the same? Did the canopy change for the Type 52 and subsequent types? Or, were the canopies one size fits all? As an aside, which models did not have the antennae? On that one I have some information regarding the removal of the antennae on an individual basis, but need to know if there was any factory mandated discontinuation of antennae placement. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Re the antenna masts, from the photos I've looked at, it remained a factory item at least into A6M5 production. The masts were made of wood and were sometimes simply sawed off at unit level due to the unreliability of the Japanese radios. This was certainly true of some/many of the A6M3s in New Guinea. I don't know whether or not better radios were developed later in the war, but there are plenty of pictures of A6M5s with the masts.