F-94 Starfire

dalea

Can anyone make a comment on the accuracy of the newly re-released Sword F-94 B kit of this aircraft? How does it compare with the Heller kit? or for that matter with the Emhar F-94C? Yes I know that the F-94C is significantly different.

Most of the reviews out in cyberspace seem to be first look or in-the-box type, but I did find one in which comparisons were made to scale drawings, but I would take Detail in Scale drawings with a very jaundiced eye, as I have found the ones in  most of that series to have accuracy issues. I have attached a link to the article below.  You might also  look for reviews or build articles for the Heller kit, which I have, but have not built, and other than raised panel lines, thick canopy, and simplified cockpit parts, it looks pretty good to me. I was planning to use the Sword detail parts and True Details cockpit and wheels on my Heller kit, which I was planning to scribe and put a Falcon canopy on it. I do have some other 1/72 drawings  which I will try to find and do a quick comparison of both kits. I hate to go out on a limb, especially as I haven't built either kit, but I have seen some pretty nice builds of both and maybe one of the makers can help us both out.

Mike

http://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/references/reviews/119-kit-reviews/523-sword-sw72054-lockheed-f-94b-starfire-by-chris-st-clair

Edited by 72modeler
removed redundant words
  • Like 1

OK, so the length is about right which was what I was really worried about. Now to find my Heller one. As you say, I've seen some nice builds of it,too, but I'm worried about its length as well

I recently completed the Sword T-33, which of course was the basis for the F-94.  Go with Heller and some aftermarket stuff and be done with it.  I realize that the Sword kit is short run, but it was a brute to build.  The only photo-etch I used was for the instrument panels.  I assembled the wings and when it came time to attach them to the fuselage, the fuselage would not fit because the wing roots were too far in.  Lots of sanding and carving finally got it to the point where the fuselage would fit on somewhat properly.  Everything on the wings,i.e. flaps and ailerons, were lined up properly, the roots were just too far inboard.  The instructions left a lot to be desired, especially when it came to putting the landing gear doors on.  Even with its age, I would still prefer the Hasegawa kit over Sword as a far easier build.  I have three of those in the stash, along with the Airwaves photo-etch set for all three, along with a Heller kit, and now also three Platz (one of which is under the Tan label and includes and engine and engine stand.

Later,

Dave

I had a Sword T-33, a Sword RF-80 and a Sword F-80C and sold them all in favour of going for Platz and Airfix, respectively. My actions were determined by reviews on line and then comparing the actual kits with detailed drawings. If the F-94 follows the trend - and is based on the T-33 - then leave it alone. Get out your scribing tool and go Heller.

Martin

• Like 1

Hi, am currently at the painting stage of completing the Sword F-94B.

Not an easy build and used some filler on the wing roots and intakes

but it is generally a good quality kit for limited run. I hate photo-etch so

got Scale Aircraft Conversions T-33 undercarriage rather than use etch

oleo links etc. I am pleased with the final result and saw a very nicely

completed model at last years Telford show. There is a build review

on the IPMS USA website. All in all a decent kit with pretty good detail

and nice decals, just needs care in construction. I remember seeing

a comment that it does not fit as well as the Sword F-80 though.

Cheers, Paul

18 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

I remember seeinga comment that it does not fit as well as the Sword F-80 though.

Cheers, Paul

I hope that is true.  I have a Sword F-80 and also the old Airfix kit with an Airwaves photo-etch set to go with it.

Later,

Dave

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:14 AM, e8n2 said:

I hope that is true.  I have a Sword F-80 and also the old Airfix kit with an Airwaves photo-etch set to go with it.

Later,

Dave

I don't want to depress you but I've built a Sword F-80 and when you mention "lots of sanding and carving" in your earlier post in relation to their T-33, I know exactly what you mean. The main problem was in the same area you encountered: the fuselage wouldn't fit between the wing roots. And the bottom edge of the cockpit canopy wasn't straight, so it didn't fit on the fuselage. I wouldn't build another one, I've got two Airfix kits laid down for future use, and a Heller F-94. 

With the Sword T-33 for some reason the front cockpit coaming is a separate piece which is a pain to get to fit right and it also throws off the windscreen as well. Maybe Airfix can re-tool their F-80.  It would certainly be cheaper than a Platz F-80.

Later,

Dave