1/72nd Special Hobby Wirraway, 21 Sqn RAAF/ later part of Y Sqn RAF at Kluang, Malaya in 1941/42.

Hiya Folks,

Having recently built the 1/48th scale Special Hobby Wirraway I decided to have another go at its smaller brother from the same stable and it is a very nice kit indeed. Here is the WIP if anybody is interested;

This one was built as A20-47, GA-B from 21 Sqn RAAF based in Malaya in 1941. After re equipping with the Brewster Buffalo the unit passed its Wirraway`s and some experienced pilots to form part of Y Sqn RAF at Kluang, Malaya which was set up to train newly arrived fighter pilots. During the Japanese invasion these aircraft also flew ground attack sorties against the advancing Japanese and at least one was fitted with a rudimentary dive bombing siren. Here is the real aeroplane;

Image result for WIRRAWAY GA-BImage result for WIRRAWAY GA-B

And finally,....here is the model;

DSCF0331DSCF0330DSCF0328DSCF0327DSCF0339DSCF0332

DSCF0328_zps6wtphw8k.jpg

DSCF0330_zpssi8wclvv.jpg

DSCF0339_zpsxwebbuyd.jpg

and here is another I built earlier,...well 2013 to be exact!

Wirraway8_zps8e22e3cc.jpg

The new model was brush painted using Polly Scale acrylics for the camouflage and Tamiya rattle can was used for the silver undersides,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 49

'One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small...'

Have I seen a '48 one of these recently, or have I just fallen down a rabbit hole? I thought it was another in '48. Another nice Wirraway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darby said:

'One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small...'

Have I seen a '48 one of these recently, or have I just fallen down a rabbit hole? I thought it was another in '48. Another nice Wirraway.

Haha,.....yes there was a 1/48th one recently too,....here it is;

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

They look great (and the recent one was done so quickly). I do like the plainer blue and white plainer insignia – a little different in the world of modelling.

I hope my little Wirraway turns out half as good.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

Great Wirraway - guaranteed to warm an Aussie modeller's heart - and in my favourite scale (1/72)!

I have the kit in my stash and your build inspires me to take another look in the box.

If I could do it as good as yours I'd be extremely proud.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Great as always! Are they both Special Hobby?  There are few of 1/72 Wirraways, among them two of SH/MPM concern, one from 1996, second from 2010 (named "new tool" here:   

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q="cac+wirraway"++1%3A72  ) .

Actually I do not know the difference among them...Have you experienced with both moulds by chance?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hello,Tony - Well here we go again. More inspiring work from TONYOT  AEROSPACE!

These are two beautifully built and finished examples of the Wirraway together with your customary informative introduction.Well done indeed,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JWM said:

Great as always! Are they both Special Hobby?  There are few of 1/72 Wirraways, among them two of SH/MPM concern, one from 1996, second from 2010 (named "new tool" here:   

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q="cac+wirraway"++1%3A72  ) .

Actually I do not know the difference among them...Have you experienced with both moulds by chance?

Regards

J-W

Hi J-W,

The CA-1 thru CA-9 were broadly similar with some detail differences, mostly related to the cowling and associated air intakes.  There were many detail differences on individual airframes so good photos are important...of course, the Wirra wasn't extensively photographed under combat conditions so it can be hard to find good images of non-training machines.

I can heartily recommend Stewart Wilson's "Wirrawy, Boomerang & CA-15 in Australian Service" as a good primer on the type:

21019657416.jpg

• Like 2