Question about possible FW 200 Condor in KG 200

28ZComeback

Greetings all. I have read that US OSS agents reported sightings of FW 200 transports in Manchukuo in 1945. Specifically sighted in Harbin. Can anyone comment on whether such sightings are plausible and in addition, is there any record of FW 200's in the KG 200 commando unit?  Assuming yes, what color scheme was utilized?  Many thanks in advance. 

Hello

Writing from memory I do vaguely remember reading about some long distance KG 200 flights from German side of the Eastern front to Manchuria. However, I think the plane in question was Ju 290 and the flight took place in 1944 or even in 1943. Will check my books and come back with more reliable information. Cheers

Jure

Hi

I browsed through books on my shelf but unfortunately, no joy. In his book Geheim-Geschwader KG200 (Motorbuch) Stahl mentions that in early 1945 unit's transport capability had been still practically intact. Still, he does not list nor mentions Fw 200 among the aircraft types used. While Thomas and Ketley list four Fw 200s in their KG200 - the Luftwaffe's most secret unit book, published by Hikoki, they state that neither New York nor Japan flights ever took place, neither by Kondor, Ju 290 nor by any other type. While several flight routes to Japan held territories had been considered at the end of 1943/early 1944, eventually nothing came out of it as Japanese worried that Soviets may use such flights as an excuse to launch an attack on their forces in China. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
edited for spelling