Dingo Mk.III - Miniart 1/35

On 5/3/2017 at 3:45 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Great model made to a very high standard.

reminds me of a real one on show at Telford few years back, how hard it looked to drive, and how cramped it looked inside, driving through France would have been hard work 😊

I had the privilege of driving a preserved one occasionally at rallies back in the early 80's.  Never on the public road.  Definitely before the days of ergonomics.  Not much room, sat on a squint and legs out flat, B****r all visibility.  Manual steering and brakes: strong biceps and quads!  The pre-selector gearbox was a hoot though (especially with 5 in reverse and even less rear visibility!) and there was adequate power on tap despite only being 55BHP.   NCR211R / F473*5, if anyone knows where it is now.

I didn't know the US apparently bought 10 to use in Vietnam, putting an experimental turret on one.  Now, if you modeled that you'd be laughed-at.  Daimler should have tried to sell them some Ferrets: maybe they did try.

Have a look at this one with 2 fixed 0.303" Brownings and a 15mm BESA, presumably experimental. 

Image result for daimler dingo preserved

• Like 1

Thank you very much, your comments are very pleasant.

I have finished the diorama, I will post the photographs.

Here the model before painting, 100% from the box.

799063P1050295.jpg

924893P1050296.jpg

896729P1050297.jpg

725646P1050298.jpg

T's a very pleasant kit.

Edited by builder52
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:01, Das Abteilung said:

I had the privilege of driving a preserved one occasionally at rallies back in the early 80's.  Never on the public road.  Definitely before the days of ergonomics.  Not much room, sat on a squint and legs out flat, B****r all visibility.  Manual steering and brakes: strong biceps and quads!  The pre-selector gearbox was a hoot though (especially with 5 in reverse and even less rear visibility!) and there was adequate power on tap despite only being 55BHP.   NCR211R / F473*5, if anyone knows where it is now.

I didn't know the US apparently bought 10 to use in Vietnam, putting an experimental turret on one.  Now, if you modeled that you'd be laughed-at.  Daimler should have tried to sell them some Ferrets: maybe they did try.

Have a look at this one with 2 fixed 0.303" Brownings and a 15mm BESA, presumably experimental. 

Image result for daimler dingo preserved

Many thanks

11 hours ago, builder52 said:

Daimler should have tried to sell them some Ferrets: maybe they did try.

You hit the nail on the head?  They did try! In September 1952 a Mk1 Ferret was shipped to Fort Knox, Kentucky for tactical evaluation and automotive testing.

The vehicle was described in the trials report as being one of the original FV701A prototype vehicles which had been extensively rebuilt in the UK with as many production modifications as possible incorporated during the rebuild.  Photographs which accompanied the report suggest this may well have been the case and, although the vehicle has been rebuilt to standard FV701C configuration, the hull was not armoured and the warning triangles to this effect were still in position.

During the test which covered 4000km, problems were experienced with the transmission, which failed twice during the trials, as well as with the Tracta joints, various oil seals, and all 4 x shock absorbers.  For some reason the platinum-tipped 'long-life' spark plugs were replaced twice during the period of the tests.  Driver comfort and safety, and stowage provision were heavily criticised, and it was reported that the generally-larger US radio sets could not be easily accommodated.

The final report concluded that the ferret was 'unsuitable for use by (US) Army Field Forces' and that no further action be taken.  History does not relate what became of the test vehicle.

• Like 1

I'm still intrigued by the - unverified - idea that 10 Dingos made their way to Vietnam in US Army markings.  Although if they didn't like the Ferret, one suspects they liked the Dingo even less!  Allegedly, 7th Cavalry had them.  I can't find anything on the great Web about them.

• Like 1