Greetings from the Colony

Jackaroo

G'day all,

Tim from Adelaide, South Australia checking in to say hi and look forward to participating here and there as an aircraft and diorama modeller for many years with a variety of aviation interests.

I've joined on the recommendation of a member here who's a good Buddy, thanks Mark!

cheers,

T

Edited by Jackaroo
Bad spelling

No worries mate.

Welcome to BM Tim - I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. :speak_cool: (I like playing with the emoticons).

Any problems - just ask and there is usually someone who will reply.

Mark

Hello and welcome Tim. Am interested in seeing your dioramas one day soon. They have always fascinated me but for some reason have never tried making one. 

All the best, hope you enjoy it here as much as I do, Martin

Hi Martin and thanks, really looking forward to being able to contribute.

The dio is coming along well but I'll confess it's not based on any specific air base. More of a what-if to accommodate my 1/144 builds and that looks pleasing within the confines of 120cm x 90cm.

Last night I scratch built the blast fences for the engine test area and am waiting for some structures to arrive. The nice thing for me is that I can vary the aircraft on display as I progress with each kit I build.

I've worked out the site takes pictures from photobucket so my big challenge will be getting my head around using that tool.

rgds and will post some pictures very soon.

T

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackaroo said:

I've worked out the site takes pictures from photobucket so my big challenge will be getting my head around using that tool.

Hi Tim,

A few members have been saying that Photobucket has become a pain to use because of the adds and pop-ups. Following a recommendation from another member, I use a photo hosting site called 'Village Photos', which is free to use, and easy enough for even me to understand.

Mark

Mate, you're a life saver...you should move to Bondi!

Any technology is challenging for me even on a good day so I'll seek it out and give it a whirl, otherwise it's going to be a very dry discussion without pics.

thanks Bud, appreciate it. rgds, T

• Like 1

On 04/05/2017 at 10:50, Jackaroo said:

you're a life saver...you should move to Bondi!

That made me laugh – the thought of me as a hunky Bondi life-guard. Plus I'm not going in that sea, I saw Jaws and I've heard about Box Jellyfish.

• Like 1

Nah...mate that's all Hollywood bs.

Bondi is a nice beach but some of the Adelaide beaches near me are great. Jaws was filmed off the South Australia coast new Port Lincoln and box jellies are up in tropical north Queensland.

Being an Aussie, I can get enough of our hot summers and the water, that's just the Aussie way.

I thought it was every blokes dream to be a life saver?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Ford said:

I'd only do it if I could use binoculars all day.

You wouldn't be having some impure thoughts there would you Martin? :wicked:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

You wouldn't be having some impure thoughts there would you Martin? :wicked:

Remember years ago working on Bournemouth pier. We were doing the bar up and all the chippies and sparkies and painters brought their binoculars in. I was the youngest at the time and had to spend most of the day on lookout. It was the best day 😉

Greetings !

Adelaide you say. The water you drink starts from up from I live in Toowoomba. ( Although an open cut coal mine near Acland get more of it nowadays. )

4 hours ago, Martin Ford said:

Remember years ago working on Bournemouth pier. We were doing the bar up and all the chippies and sparkies and painters brought their binoculars in. I was the youngest at the time and had to spend most of the day on lookout. It was the best day 😉

Martin! Not in front of the colonials! It's supposed to be you upper lip, not other body parts.

16 hours ago, Jackaroo said:

Being an Aussie, I can get enough of our hot summers and the water, that's just the Aussie way.

Tim, talking of heat, this will probably amuse you. Today is one of those rare English spring days when it's warm enough to sit in the garden for lunch – 18 degrees! I had to go inside as it was too hot for me.

I don't know how humans can cope with your summer heat – it sounds more like temperatures to cook your dinner on.

• Like 1

Hey All,

Firstly Mick, Adelaide water is what they use for the base substance in Alclad, it's rubbish and I have a filter on my tap because you'd end up glowing in the dark there's that much flouride and other s**t in it.

Martin and Mark, binoculars are sold in huge numbers at Aussie beaches, kind of like a must have accessory really. no no wait, that makes me sound like an old perve, d'oh! forget I wrote that.

The Adelaide summers are great, the one just gone we pushed it to 44c (circa 112F) and may sound daft but at those temperatures, you can smell the heat which is something you can only know if you've experienced it.

18c...mate, c'mon I'd be having my thermals, a jumper and beanie on, that's cold for this old geezer. Out in the scrub, you can fry eggs on the bonnet of your car on those really hot days, I recall there's even a youtube clip of someone doing just that.

Yesdterday we had 22c and I had the slow-combustion fire burning good and strong.  As our winter approaches, I want to hybernate like bears because I can't deal with the cold.

anyways, off the put another layer of clothes on....take it easy guys and have a great day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Tim, talking of heat, this will probably amuse you. Today is one of those rare English spring days when it's warm enough to sit in the garden for lunch – 18 degrees! I had to go inside as it was too hot for me.

I don't know how humans can cope with your summer heat – it sounds more like temperatures to cook your dinner on.

We are quite tough here down under as there is plenty of beer to quench our thirsts during the hotter months !

• Like 1