Revell 1/32 G10.*****Finished*******

Morning folk's, the enforced change of scheme has complicated the build as I would have done the natural metal portion

of the wing before the light blue so out came the masking tape and kitchen roll!

20170531_103953_zpstevsqyuu.jpg

Happily apart from a re-paint of the u/c leg's it turned out well Halford's silver worked well.

20170531_111312_zps4cimsufq.jpg

Just a touch up in a few places I thought, till I turned her over and saw sunlight glistening on tiny bit's of overspray due to doing it

in the breeze outside! So I lightened the green one more time and misted the upper surface again and all's well.

IMG-20170531-WA0000_zpslemo2trd.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good Steve

I do think the uppers are a two colour low contrast scheme,  but it's your baby ;)

one thing, the underside of the tailplane is dark  too

ErlaBf109.jpg

cheers

T

• Like 1

On 27/05/2017 at 9:51 AM, stevej60 said:

Anyway I know have a new site to wet my Luftwaffe appetite,now where

did I put that big Heinkel ?

HEINKEL HEINKEL HEINKEL!

HEINKEL!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Looks good Steve

I do think the uppers are a two colour low contrast scheme,  but it's your baby ;)

one thing, the underside of the tailplane is dark  too

cheers

T

Thank's Troy,

the tail plane needs another coat thank's to silver over spray so an easy fix,are you suggesting a lighter shade for the camo

or slightly darker and I assume wing's and upper tail plane's only?

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thank's Troy,

the tail plane needs another coat thank's to silver over spray so an easy fix,are you suggesting a lighter shade for the camo

or slightly darker and I assume wing's and upper tail plane's only?

Hi Steve

I was thinking the fuselage was two colour, note the band behind the cockpit on black 13,  and on the cowling on black 7

9006066583_993036730c_b.jpg

Bf 109 G-10 W.Nr. 15. ... "Schwarze 13", 2./JG 27, Salzburg (?), May 1945.

the dark underside to the fuselage and tailplanes are a feature I was unaware of, certainly makes for an interesting model.

here's another with a two colour cowling and what looks like natural metal underwing,

5154608685_7c50b7041b_b_zps19e394f8.jpg

but looking again, I can't see any real contrast on the rear fuselage

I also can't see any pattern on the upper wings

ErlaBf109.jpg

So, overall dark green (or brown 81, )  is possible, my main point was the dark underside to  the tailplanes.

the reason for the though of two colour low contrast uppers was this ,  which does appear to have two colours.

xrFlo6Z.png

from

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=52447.0

Given the pic of the JG 300 plane is not that clear,   you may well be right,   maybe even the centre section was dark?

Anyway, it looks really menacing in that monotone dark green ;) 

The wing underside being natural metal could do with some slight tonal variation,   but as a chap  at my model club said,  who  looks at the underside of a model! 

One easy way maybe to use some graphite dust on individual panels,  varying the amount used

this  is a captured 109, in the US post war which has had the paint stripped, and small tone variances, hence the graphite idea,  I just tried out an technique I read about for representing the blued metal finish on guns, tried out on a bren gun,  I used Tamiya Rubber Black (very dark grey blue) and then rubbed a soft pencil over it.

USA-post-war--Messerschmitt-Bf-109--1-.j

from here

http://silverhawkauthor.com/german-warplanes-of-the-second-world-war-preserved-luftwaffe-19391945-klemm-to-siebel_454.html

which has a lots and lots of pics of captured 109's,  which may entertain, or  inspire... 

this one is a view I have not seen  before,  cannon but no engine... very odd.

USAAF-EB-100--Messerschmitt-Bf-109F4---W

not a 109, but a 262 in bar metal with puttied joints

Me262_022_zps30929371.jpg

Sorry, bit rambling,  but hopefully of interest.

cheers

T

• Like 2

Long may your rambling's continue Troy! Photo 4 is without doubt a two tone scheme which could be interesting to try the more

I read and see the more I realise there is no right and wrong on these scheme's until someone find's an actual example under

dust cover's in a Bavarian barn,it would be interesting to witness the conversation's if the two model's in my earlier link's were

displayed side by side.

Morning folk's right scheme agreed and finished,sorry for the poor photo had to go into yard as indoors the two tone scheme

well it wasn't! so hope you get the idea,next up will be the fuselage band's which I'm painting as I don't trust that decal so I'm

stuck now as I may as well wait till the Northern show on Sunday to grab some paint's,with the Heinkel in the wing's and a few

other Luftwaffe aircraft I would like to do I'm thinking of one of the boxed set's of colour's available.

20170601_111826_zpsjzjah4pu.jpg

Oh! And tail plane under surface colour amended.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Well I had a halfhour before the table got packed away so I glossed her where appropriate and tried the decals.......Crap,sorry Revell

you really dropped the ball on this sheet as far as quality is concerned I had to resort to applying the wing crosses then cutting away

the carrier film which was harrowing until done the same will have to be done for the rest and for a laugh I soaked the band which

broke up as expected ah well all's not lost.

20170601_124212_zpsoj6pduth.jpg

• Like 8

Morning folk's last update of the week due to work and the upcoming Northern show the table will stay folded till next week,I,ve

fitted the wheel's and doors and the tail wheel so she's on her feet proper.

20170602_114125_zpsxvyynxn5.jpg

And cut off the glazing which is beautifully molded and fit's just as it should.

20170602_114145%202_zpsooly59vl.jpg

• Like 4

Morning folk's,not a great deal done for a few day's on this one so time to crack on,I was at the Northern show on Sunday and picked up

among a couple of kit's a near match for the tail band with Tamiya;s sky blue,it's gloss probably more an automotive colour but the whole

kit will be Matt coated so no worries.

20170606_130258%202_zpswtjeegj0.jpg

tomorrow when its dried out will come the masking tape and I'll add the centre white band.

• Like 3

Evening folk's well a step back today,I masked the blue band for the white centre stripe and realising I had no Tamiya white

left used rattle can humbrol which reacted almost melting it's way down to bare plastic,I got it off as quick as I could and

once dry it looked a real mess but sanding it smooth and re-doing the blue has done the trick,as you can guess I'll be 

buying a bottle of white tomorrow! Anyway I got a couple of base coat's on the glazing and the fit is so good once done it

should just pop on without filler.

20170607_205756_zpsclmf0o8e.jpg

• Like 4

Morning folk's,pottered on over the last week with this one,slowly getting the decals on but with the cutting off of any trace of

backing it's time consuming,I've ran a couple of different washes into the detailing and again apologies for the camera photo's

you can just see the exhaust staining applied with a few passes of the airbrush on low power.On the underside I've fitted the

fuel tank and glossed and washed also,I'll pop a photo on when the decal's go on.

20170613_105855_zpsiatb8epu.jpg

20170613_112234_zpsbjuoaja5.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

I like it a lot Steve, especially since it's 1/32nd which nowadays I consider as my scale!  Being a Bf109 numpty, please explain the tail wheel oleo (or is it?) situation.  It looks like the oleo should be compressed when on the ground but few seem to be, or am I reading this all wrong?

Max

• Like 1

Thank's Max,not sure about the tail wheel set up it's just as kitted I'll have a look at the photo evidence.

Edit,looks like Revell got it right looking at Troy's photo earlier in the thread

Edited by stevej60

On 2017-6-14 at 19:30, galgos said:

I like it a lot Steve, especially since it's 1/32nd which nowadays I consider as my scale!  Being a Bf109 numpty, please explain the tail wheel oleo (or is it?) situation.  It looks like the oleo should be compressed when on the ground but few seem to be, or am I reading this all wrong?

Max

On 2017-6-14 at 22:10, stevej60 said:

Thank's Max,not sure about the tail wheel set up it's just as kitted I'll have a look at the photo evidence.

Edit,looks like Revell got it right looking at Troy's photo earlier in the thread

Hi Max

if you are  a '109 numpty' don't worry..... they can and will give you a headache.

the standard G tailwheel is short,

123acff96d97cb738bd00f44036e742f.jpg

This is a G6/AS in all black   BTW

but there is also a long leg version,  which is what Steve is building

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-3.JG300-Yel

This was I think brought in for better ground handling, and in the K series was meant to be  retractable

you can see the doors open on this K-4

1-Bf-109K4-11.JG3-xY1+Ih-Martin-Deskau-W

the long tailwheel is usually seen with the tall fin, but there are exceptions...(there are  always exceptions with 109's)

eg

sbh6jd.jpg

The information on bf 109's  is a lot clearer now,  I had John Beaman's 'Last of the Eagles'  which was done in 1976, but in the years since it has been possible to pin down details,  for example, which factory  built the plane,  as in the posts about Erla,  and these can be identified  by the paint scheme and certain specific details,  but many older books do not have this.

but, yes, it is confusing.....

HTH

T

PS I forgot, the 109 looking very sharp  Steve,  good job! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2