Revell 1/32 G10.*****Finished*******

First, your build is looking excellent!

Second, what is flexifiller? I mean I get an idea of what it is from the name, but what is the product? Is it actually flexible? I can think of a million applications for something of the sort.

• Like 1

Great progress Steve.

I haven't seen this Revell model been build before, so it is quite interesting how they have broken down the part. Specialy how they have done the wings.

I only have got the G6 from Revell in my stash and haven't taken a good look at it (yet). Now I still have some 1/32 Hasegawa Bf-109 kits in the stash (five or six),

that is why I didn't bought all the Revell ones.

But I am learning.:popcorn: So keep up the good work.

Cheers,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

First, your build is looking excellent!

Second, what is flexifiller? I mean I get an idea of what it is from the name, but what is the product? Is it actually flexible? I can think of a million applications for something of the sort.

Many thank's,I use a general filler from a tube similar to Restore crack filler sold by Walmart in the state's put a little into wing joins panel's

etc and smooth with a damp cloth or finger until the surface is clear and the gap filled saves hours of sanding and sometime's the loss of

detail, I'll pop a couple of photo's in when I fill the wing join.

• Like 1

Your G-10 is looking great. Somewhere I have this kit and seriously considered it for this group build. Glad you chose it and you are doing a much better job building it than I would. Waiting for the paint stage. Also, glad to know the fit and construction is good. 

• Like 1

Morning folk's,here is the G10 as of this morning.As I didn't want to drop the flap's etc I broke from the instruction sequence which lead

to a lot of extra work so if you plan to build this kit don't make the same mistake,basically the two inner flap's build around the rear of the

wing and clamp round it top and bottom,anyway all sorted now.

DSCN5052_zps7cpgs9so.jpg

• Like 3

Morning all,a few odd's and sod's added to the undersides before priming,and my camera broke yesterday but I upgraded my phone

a few weeks ago and it takes good photos so a test shot at the same time,the test will come when I see what RFI photo's look like so I

may dig out an oldie and give it a go.I've assembled the leg's and wheel's ready for painting so progressing well.

20170521_121227_zpsr4nhp0b9.jpg

• Like 5

Morning folks,with the little 109's finished time free to potter on with their big brother,I was looking at the option's for this boxing

and was quite interested in the second scheme which is a well worn machine with part's seemingly from other aircraft especially

the nose panel's so looking on the excellent LSP site found a couple of build's both outstanding but what struck me was the two

very different takes on this particular aircraft.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1964

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2450

I love both and the prospect of really going to town on the weathering really appeal's,the first one seem's to adhere to the kit's

instruction's but I'm sure Dejan Lukic Had information about the scheme to the contrary.Only that fuselage tail decal worries me!

• Like 1

I've had to add more filler to smooth out the wing fuselage joint and added the gear legs and tail wheel yolk,so leaving well

alone to thoroughly dry.

20170525_110832_zpsnevsqqqt.jpg

• Like 2

Morning folk's dried overnight and nice and sturdy on her feet,primer has revealed only one or two tweak's needed with the filler.

7056e5a8-b903-4c9b-988f-012bb281e62e_zps

• Like 2

Morning folk's,I was just having a cuppa and thinking again of which scheme to go for when I decided to go with the aircraft of Erich Hartmann

so looked at photograph's of his various aircraft then the inevitable search of Wikipedia for his entry,what a life he led.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann

28 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

I just happen to know of a blog that goes into some detail on Hartman's 109s, including the G-10....;)

And I think I found it! funny I looked at Photo's of Hartmann earlier and thought this one or that one would be great to show in the

RFI post but not knowing the minefield of copyright law and not being inclined to blatantly nick other people's photo's I would not

dream of posting,then reading a piece on the blog on this very subject realised how much of it goes on which must be a pain for

you guy's that love your subject and do original research! Anyway I know have a new site to wet my Luftwaffe appetite,now where

did I put that big Heinkel ?

• Like 2

Hi folk's,I brush painted some pre-shading along the panel lines and cover's etc and re-sprayed the undersides and fuselage sides

with my mix of blue gray,last job of the day was a first coat on the wheel well's and leg's as wall as the door's.

20170527_195339_zps3u6rtfy5.jpg

20170527_210634_zpsfsnsmfes.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,well I was in a good mood today,sun shining, weekend off work going to see my Grandson etc,then while waiting for SWMBO

to get ready had the brilliant idea of putting the spinner decal on the 109,life just doesn't get better!

20170528_111209_zps27lbggi5.jpg

So that's the scheme decided for me thank you Mr Revell! these decals are Crap,as soon as they hit the water they broke up

it does not bode well for the rest.So we go for the second option which thankfully doesn't involve a re-spray and I'll be painting

the large fuselage band and binning the decal!

• Like 1

Sad to see the spiral decal did not work. I'll see if I have some in 1/32 in the spares if you would like?  Otherwise, the build looks great!

4 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Hi Steve

I have some spare spirals if you want one . let me know and i will get it in the post

Alistair

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Sad to see the spiral decal did not work. I'll see if I have some in 1/32 in the spares if you would like?  Otherwise, the build looks great!

Many thanks guys for the kind offer,I think I'll go with the second scheme as I t's just a bit different and means less in the way of larger

decals and damn spiral's!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

I like modeling along the path of least resistance. Many a paint scheme has been based upon ease of completion. 

Couldn't agree more! So let's get the complicated painting done first,here is the forward fuselage painted in the familiar Luftwaffe

style,the rest of the airframe is Green all over or with a brown/earth disruptive pattern on the wings,more research to do there.

20170528_180233_zpsbtm8doun.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

the rest of the airframe is Green all over or with a brown/earth disruptive pattern on the wings,more research to do there.

20170528_180233_zpsbtm8doun.jpg

your guess will be as good as anyone else's on 'green 7' ..

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Couldn't agree more! So let's get the complicated painting done first,here is the forward fuselage painted in the familiar Luftwaffe

style,the rest of the airframe is Green all over or with a brown/earth disruptive pattern on the wings,more research to do there.

Hi Steve

the plane in question was much debated, IIRC research showed it was JG300,  and Erla built

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-3.JG300-Yel

these Erla 109's had distinctive camo, very dark fuselage,  

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-JG300-White

another

Here you can see the entire tail and most (all?) of the fuselage underside is dark.

This has come up before....

Green 7 is featured on a Barracudacals decal sheet

instructions pdf here http://barracudacals.com/images/instructions/BC32145_web.pdf

and http://theprofilepaintshop.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/barracuda-studios-bf109g-10-erla-decals.html

Most Erla built Bf109G-10’s seems to have been camouflaged in the regular Luftwaffe camouflage scheme of RLM 74/75/76. A few colorphotographs as well as written descriptions in the “Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports” supports this.

Beginning somewhere in the 151xxx W.Nr batch another scheme was introduced that stands out clearly against the regular schemes. These schemes must have been the results of the requirements on factories to save on both labour and raw materials. The entire fuselages including the undersurface was painted in a very dark color, most likely RLM 81. In some instances a second lighter color, that if the rules were applied, would have been RLM 82 was sprayed on top of the RLM81 to create a camouflage pattern. Such a scheme gives a very low contrast in B&W photos and is often hard to discern.The wings of these aircraft were also painted in the same dark color on the uppersurfaces, while the undersurfaces were left in natural metal with only wooden and canvas components painted RLM 76.

The latewar colors
Docuements recently found in German archives by Michael Ullmann has revealed some startling facts about the so called latewar colors. RLM 83 was according to these documents not a dark green as has been previously believed, but rather a dark blue color intended for use at unit level on bombers operating over the Mediterranean sea.

So the latewar colors seen on fighters must have been different variations of RLM 81 and RLM 82. The documents found by Ullmann shows that RLM 81 and RLM 82 were both developed from green colors, RLM 81 being described as Olive Green while RLM 82 was described as Bright Green. The document goes on to describe that new colors 81 and 82 (Brown tint) were introduced as well. This points to brown versions of BOTH RLM 81 and RLM 82 being tested.

There is little doubt that a green version of RLM 81 was produced as there’s even been a can found in the Czech republic labeled 81 but containing a dark green paint. So most likely, instead of a transition period where RLM 83/82 schemes were replaced with RLM 81/82, it now seems as if it was RLM 81/82 all the time, but that the RLM 81 changed from dark green (or olive green) to brown violet.
The so called 83/81 scheme would, following the same logic, be dark green RLM 81 with brown tint RLM 82. There’s no proof of this but it could certainly explain why there’s a brown color that is slightly darker than green 81 but also a brown significantly lighter than green 81.

That would mean that an RLM 81/82 scheme could actually be a number of combinations and for the Erla built G-10’s I’ve used Olive Green and Bright Green as that’s the combination that would likely give the lowest contrast. Until a colorphoto emerges of these aircraft, these theories are as close as one can get.

For modeling purposes, the olive green or dark green is matched by most brands by the “RLM 83” designation, Gunze for example being spot on. LifeColor has an RLM 81 that they call Brown Violet but in reality it is dark green. Green RLM 81 is also matched by RAL 6006 and FS 34083.

also of note is the profile shows a replacement cowling, but the other G-10 shown,white 13, has a similar finish, perhaps stocks of pre painted cowlings from a sub-contractor were being used up?

the wing uppers look to be a dark two tone scheme....

and

from Neil Page's blog

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/more-maxis-ivjg-53-bf-109-g-14.html

ErlaBf109.jpg

Bf 109 G-10 W.Nr. 151 86. "Weisse ?", 7./JG 51, Fels am Wagram. An exceptional shot showing a late ERLA Leipzig-produced Bf 109 with its all dark green low-visibility camouflage. (Marc-Andre Haldimann caption)

and https://www.flickr.com/photos/28092068@N03/9006066583

9006066583_993036730c_b.jpg

Bf 109 G-10 W.Nr. 15. ... "Schwarze 13", 2./JG 27, Salzburg (?), May 1945.

the dark underside to the fuselage and tailplanes are a feature I was unaware of, certainly makes for an interesting model.

here's another with a two colour cowling and what looks like natural metal underwing,

5154608685_7c50b7041b_b_zps19e394f8.jpg

somewhere in my searches it was noted the airfield this was taken on was very muddy, note the 'pale' underside does look rather like mud, look at the cross, and otherwise it matches the other dark upper Erla G-10's...

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-3.JG300-Yel

ONe final point, in the above the nose appears the same as the prop blades,  I'm wondering if paint shortages caused the of black green 70 as part of these dark 109's, (I'm thinking a scheme of 70/82 would look very appealing....)

there are a few more photos here as well

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/JG300.html 

As Neil says, who knows for sure, but hopefully will give you some ideas

finally, not a 109, but here's colour shot of 262 with 81/82 uppers, and then in B/W, compare to the two JG27  planes above...

262_c_81_82.jpg

same pic in b/w

me262_25.jpg

HTH

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 2

a small detail to add to Troy's comprehensive review - IV./JG 300 machines featured a black band around the front of the cowl. See the Lorant JG 300 history for more on this. 

• Like 2

Thank's as ever Troy for the photo's and colour information I think I know the way to go now with the scheme and also a big save

by Falkeins as I would have missed the black band it really is a minefield this RLM colour business!

• Like 1

Morning folk's a good step forward in the painting process first a base coat of green was applied and after drying the same brush coating

of the panel lines applied,sorry for the poor pictures I have no camera so using the phone this week.

20170530_113155_zpswqzf6yaq.jpg

Then a spray of mixed Tamiya olive green and field gray applied over the air frame.Once dried lightened with a touch of interior

green and with the airbrush on low power passed over the centre off the panel's and leading edges/fuselage top.

20170530_115746_zpst9ifpkqg.jpg

I've tinkered with the editor to get a decent shot which has killed the "greeness" but hope you get the Idea it look's much

better in the flesh hopefully I'll pick up a little digital camera at the weekend.

• Like 2