On 10/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, Badder said:

Hi Jure,

As a dedicated diorama maker...

When I first eyeballed your post I read:  "As a dedicated drama maker..." which gave a very different implication on the subject of the reputation feature!

I feel a bit ambivalent about it all- I certainly don't evaluate a contributor's worth by their community reputation score, though I do sometimes look at how many posts they've made, just to get a sense of how "involved" they are here. 

As for Likes, I put much more value in someone taking the time to actually use words to communicate with me.  (Along similar lines, I vastly prefer e-mail conversations to the Facebook free-for-all.)  However, I do hit "Like" from time to time when I want to pat someone on the back but don't really have anything particular to say.  And I can't help but be curious when I see that someone has "liked" one of my posts.  I'd be pretty frustrated though, on a "discussion" forum, if my topics got lots of "likes" but no actual thought-contributions from others.  I sure don't post here just to hear myself talk, though I grant it might seem that way sometimes!

bob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I sure don't post here just to hear myself talk, though I grant it might seem that way sometimes!

bob

I know what you mean Bob. But it reads as though you talk while you type! :lol: 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

And I can't help but be curious when I see that someone has "liked" one of my posts.  I'd be pretty frustrated though, on a "discussion" forum, if my topics got lots of "likes" but no actual thought-contributions from others. 

Just means that someone agrees with you and if they don't add to the duscusion it means that they either haven't the time, or they think that you have said it so well that nothing they can every say will improve on it. :wink:

Take it as a compliment – I do.

(It's always nice to have someone think you are right, when your outnumbered by women)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Take it as a compliment – I do.

So do i,when it comes to replying to a build to me it's pointless replying if you're just going to say the same as other posters so a like does the job...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 4

So do i,when it comes to replying to a build, to me it's pointless replying if you're just going to say the same as other posters so a like does the job.

Damn. Vince just said that!

Like.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Badder said:

So do i,when it comes to replying to a build, to me it's pointless replying if you're just going to say the same as other posters so a like does the job.

Damn. Vince just said that!

Like.;)

Cheers Badder although if i can think of some smartarssed comment i'll post (why on earth you put up with some of mine on your WIPs i'll never  know)....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Cheers Badder although if i can think of some smartarssed comment i'll post (why on earth you put up with some of mine on your WIPs i'll never  know)....

Does a 'Haha' count as a 'like' in the 'Community Reputation' count? Cos if not, you just missed out on a 'like' Vince. ;)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

C'mon you guys- I see what you're up to- you're artificially driving up your "reputation".  Well, I'm afraid you've already got a reputation... ;)

bob

I have no idea what you mean (honest) :shrug:

Gorby ('Like' tart)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Gooseberry, cus I'm just a fool. :fool:

To sour (which i blame my mum making lemon pies with no sugar,the effect was like sticking your fingers in a wall plug)...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Heh, I remember watching my mother making a rhubarb pie once- even I  was impressed by the mound of sugar atop the rhubarb chunks in the mixing bowl!  'Twas tasty, though.

Is there a 'cringe' button and would it DECREASE your reputation if I pressed it? The thought of rhubarb pie sets my teeth on edge. :think:

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

IMHO BM is a great international forum full of people from around the world with lots of languages.

To read a post is simpler than to write one for who doesn't speak a decent English (to write even a simple message takes lots of minutes for me), so... God bless the faster "like button"!

I think that more "like" more "good reputation" is a great idea. :D

Edited by davmarx
  • Like 6

Does hitting the like button really increase your "reputation" it might technically "tick" on the counter of "likes given" 

but does it mean your a worthwhile asset to the BM community? 

Filling a forum full of "likes" and contributing little to no words means what to your reputation as a fellow member? 

Thats just me sticking my nose in to what's become a very funny thread 😀 

..... never much cared for mums rhubarb pie... but the lemon meringue pie.... 😛😛😛😛 🍴 🍴 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

Does hitting the like button really increase your "reputation" it might technically "tick" on the counter of "likes given" 

but does it mean your a worthwhile asset to the BM community? 

Filling a forum full of "likes" and contributing little to no words means what to your reputation as a fellow member? 

Thats just me sticking my nose in to what's become a very funny thread 😀 

..... never much cared for mums rhubarb pie... but the lemon meringue pie.... 😛😛😛😛 🍴 🍴 

Hitting the 'LIKE' button does nothing for your own reputation, unless you hit it for every single post and people notice, and then you get a reputation for being a trollop. (Unofficially) 

There is no count on how many 'LIKES' you give.

Likewise, there is no count for how many times you use the 'dog poo' Emoticon when commenting on someone's work!

On the original point though, someone with a high 'community reputation' COULD be called an asset to BM. If every member of BM produced mediocre work, the site wouldn't be able to compete with other similar sites. We NEED good model-makers, i.e. those who tend to attract the most 'LIKES', to draw in the new members, whether they be beginners, or highly skilled. Visitors to the site will gravitate to the most recent posts, or those that grab their attention, but mostly to those topics with the most 'views'. Those topics (and therefore the poster) tend also to have the most 'Likes'.

In other words we need the odd Black Forest Gateaux amongst the Spotted Dicks, the odd Lemon Meringue amongst the Rhubarb Pie in order to whet visitors' appetites and get them to sign up.

Badder. (Cheesecake addict)

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4