• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Richard E. I have never hit that Like This button, either on this forum, either anywhere else on the web. I do thank to all posters, responding to my questions or comments though. I am also glad when others respond in similar way to my posts. I know it sounds silly, but is there a way to switch this off? I prefer the old fashioned ˝Thanks˝ or something along this line. Cheers

Jure

the advantage of the 'like this'  is it saves thread clutter, but allows you to show appreciation to the poster if you have nothing to add to  the thread in question,  especially in the reference sections,  and the disadvantage of  one line 'thank you' posts is that it can start to obscure the information posted,   which is what used  to happen before the feature was introduced.

IMO it's a useful feature.

I requested the use of it specifically to avoid clutter in this one

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

One line "thank you" post would make this sprawl over 5 pages.

• Like 12

To speak for me I like to use the Like button to say thanks,

I normally prefer this especially if I have noting else to say than a thanks, mainly to avoid cluttering up threads where good info is posted.

But that's just me ... everyone do as they please.

Edit:

Troy you just posted while wrote this, totally same stance here ...

Cheers !

• Like 2

Hello, Troy Smith and Occa

I understand your point of view. I can also understand how Like This button is a convenient way to show appreciation for someone, responding from his or her smartphone. But why tie this to or why to have such feature as Community Reputation at all? I do not think number of Likes is very high on priority list for the most of us. Cheers

Jure

P.S.: I am probably making too much fuss over a minor issue. There is not many posts on BM I specifically dislike and most of them are in locked topics anyway. Still, I am feeling like a begrudging ******* right now.

Edited by Jure Miljevic
P.S. added
  • Like 2

I like to give likes, often I see builds in the RFI thread but can't think of a comment to make, giving a like is a convenient way of acknowledging the build.

Likes can also be a handy way of seconding someone.

Couldn't care less about the community reputation thing, didn't know it existed and don't care what it is. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hairystick said:

Surely it means that we can redeem points at our LHS to get discounts on kits and accessories.

Yeah, but you've got to have a LHS in the first place!

It's a good way of expressing appreciation for a build/post without the usual "great build" "nice finish" response (I know, I've done it enough myself), when you can't think of anything more substantive to say. 

John.

Hairystick, to obtain discount for my fellow-modellers I would hand out Likes left, right and center. On the double if needed.

To summarize, my ideas about Like This button are in distinct minority, although it does not seem any of us loses sleep worrying about Community Reputation. Does this mean that Like This button would work fine even without keeping score? Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

To me the community reputation simply means I haven't got in to trouble - - - yet ;)

Don't worry - we're watching you now :fight:

• Like 4

On 5/28/2017 at 9:17 AM, Jure Miljevic said:

To summarize, my ideas about Like This button are in distinct minority, although it does not seem any of us loses sleep worrying about Community Reputation.

Absolutely not. It is an "internet thing" which means exactly zero. On another website I belong to, it is a particularly vicious and mean spirited tool that permits hatred and vindictive "reputation" since it allows a message to be added to it.

Britmodeller's "like this" button is much more friendly, and also shows appreciation to those who have gone to the effort to compose some words which we appreciate... or not.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hairystick, to obtain discount for my fellow-modellers I would hand out Likes left, right and center. On the double if needed.

To summarize, my ideas about Like This button are in distinct minority, although it does not seem any of us loses sleep worrying about Community Reputation. Does this mean that Like This button would work fine even without keeping score? Cheers

Jure

Yes.

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Thank you, Hairystick. Careful with that description of the ˝other site˝ though, someone might get ideas :D. Cheers

Jure

That isn't a problem! The "other" site I'm referring to is not a modelling one.:winkgrin:

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

I understand your point of view. I can also understand how Like This button is a convenient way to show appreciation for someone, responding from his or her smartphone. But why tie this to or why to have such feature as Community Reputation at all? I do not think number of Likes is very high on priority list for the most of us.

Hi Jure,

As a dedicated diorama maker my WIPs tend to be quite involved (some would say 'too involved) and are therefore long. (Like this response) Now, people view these WIPs and the number of views is detailed beside each topic, but without 'Likes', I have no idea how my work is being received. People might just view the first page and think 'pfffft... rubbish' and then leave, never to return. With 'likes' I know that at least SOME people are following and appreciating my work. Without 'likes' I probably wouldn't bother going into so much detail because I would think people aren't interested. And then some people might feel I've skipped a lot of the methodology/techniques/details!

Obviously some people comment, give advice, ask questions, give praise, or criticise, and whether positive or negative, I welcome all such responses. But 'Likes' tend to come from regular followers and it's nice to know that they are there, still following and still interested in what I am doing, even if they don't comment.

Because the thing is, I spend time on my WIPs because I hope people find the details interesting or the methods new, or useful. And as others have already said, people can just hit 'Like', without having to say 'thanks' or repeat what someone else has said.

And it works both ways, don't forget. If I see that a member has a high 'community reputation' I have a pretty good idea that they are good at what they do. So, If they have a high reputation and their profile says they exclusively make '1/92nd scale Neanderthal Figures', I will probably not bother looking at their work (unless it's a very slow day). But if they have a high reputation and their profile says they mainly make WWII German AFVs, I will almost certainly have a look. And if I like their work I will follow them, and learn from them. And though I may not comment on everything they post, I will hit the 'like' button a lot if I like what they are doing.... and they will know that I am still along for the ride and finding it all helpful.

Having said all that, I do of course have a look at all those topics I am interested in, whether the poster has a high reputation or not. They may be new, with a very low reputation, but their work may be stunning and I will follow them from then on.

A very long response, I know, but the 'like' feature is a good one IMHO and has multiple benefits.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If it helps Badder ... i follow your work because its beyond my abilities and scope. I find it very useful as i hope to use the info i’ve learned here at Britmodeller, and from specific builds to help me. 

Thanks Uncle, kind of you to say.

That's what we're all here for isn't it? To learn from each other and maybe help others along the way. I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two as well. There are members whose work blows me away, but if I watch what they do, live long enough and practice, practice, practice, I might one day be able to match them!

Meanwhile, I certainly don't post my work seeking praise (although it's greatly appreciated) I post it because it drives me to do the very best I can. I don't want to post stuff which is below my current standard. I have to push myself. And sometimes I come up with a technique or methodology which is new (to me at least) and if others  find that 'new thing' helpful I am humbled. And of course, if people are new to the hobby and post stuff and want advice, help, tips, criticisms, we are all here to help them as well.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4