Ford 8-AT

I have had plans for a transport variant of the Airfix Ford Trimotor, a Ford 8-AT for a very long time. I bought this kit 2005 and I finally I got around to do something with it. But as usual I have to convert it a bit.

ford1m_02.JPG
I started by cutting along the recess for the windows on the inside of the fuselage  to cut out away the windows. I also cut thin slivers of a plastic tube 

ford1m_01.JPG
I filled the hole from the old windows with corrugate plastic card and drilled out new windows.

ford1m_03.JPG
The thin plastic rings was used for the port holes to get a nicer look. I also needed to make a new door without a window.

ford1m_04.JPG
I learned that three of the small windows later was closed on this plane so I had to do the same.

ford1m_05.JPG
The cargo bays under the wings has to go to. More plastic card to the rescue, but the biggest problem probably is that the canopy is to wide.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket
  • Like 7

ford1m_06.JPG

I cut a part from the nose and added some Northrop Gamma parts instead. It gives me a basic shape to work from.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket
  • Like 4

The 8-AT is actually a single engine version of the trimotor.

Pacific%20Alaska%20Airways%20Ford%208-AT

It flew with six different engines. I would love to have a Hisso engine version but I settle for this.

• Like 2

I'm always facinated by models that are far off the beaten track and yours surely is! :D

I couldn't do that as I simply don't have the knowledge to do such an undertaking, so I'm glad that somebody is! :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing the finished model! :)

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Its a very long time since I saw anyone doing anything with this kit. Very interested to see how you get on with this build.

Martian

• 2 weeks later...

ford1m_07.JPG

I started to dress up the nose.

ford1m_08.JPG

I have to improvise as I don't have to many pictures. But I build for fun and besides not many persons will know how it really looked like.

Edited by Orso
Photobucket
  • Like 4

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:56, Orso said:

I build for fun

The very best reason for doing it!

Martian

• Like 1

ford1m_09.JPG

I replaced all dead Photobucket pics above. Work goes on slowly. The wing is in place and the nose almost done. A lovely salmon coloured resin engine is also added.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

ford1m_11.JPG

Not much to report. I got the tail in place.

ford1m_10.JPG

Time to start on the landing gear. My first plan was floats but I found some skis in the scrap box so I'll use them. I think it is right for an Alaska plane.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

ford1m_13.JPG

It took me twelve years to start this build but now it starting to look like a plane.

ford1m_14.JPG

I will let the glue set before I start adding struts.  

ford1m_15.JPG

Struts and wires, I wonder were the lower wing are

• Like 7

This is really great Orso, I like it a lot :thumbsup: .

Very nice work on the conversion. Keep up the good work ;)

Best regards 

TonyT

ford1m_18.JPG
I removed the engine and moved it forward as the engine cowl was to short

ford1m_20.JPG
Now I could add the details I wanted. Plus the engine didn't sit straight either.

ford1m_19.JPG
But I had do convert the exhaust system as the original didn't fit any more.
The only things left to do is a new landing gear for the tail and some small details.
But I forgot to drill holes for the rudder wires so it will be a little tricky do do as the landing gear is in the way.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...