This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Orso

Ford 8-AT

12 posts in this topic

I have had plans for a transport variant of the Airfix Ford Trimotor, a Ford 8-AT for a very long time. I bought this kit 2005 and I finally I got around to do something with it. But as usual I have to convert it a bit.

ford1m_02.jpg
I started by cutting along the recess for the windows on the inside of the fuselage  to cut out away the windows. I also cut thin slivers of a plastic tube 

ford1m_01.jpg
I filled the hole from the old windows with corrugate plastic card and drilled out new windows.

ford1m_03.jpg
The thin plastic rings was used for the port holes to get a nicer look. I also needed to make a new door without a window.

ford1m_04.jpg
I learned that three of the small windows later was closed on this plane so I had to do the same.

ford1m_05.jpg
The cargo bays under the wings has to go to. More plastic card to the rescue, but the biggest problem probably is that the canopy is to wide.

2 people like this

Nice start Orso, interesting project.  Got one of these kits myself, planning on trying to make the float plane version.

Posted (edited)

ford1m_06.jpg

I cut a part from the nose and added some Northrop Gamma parts instead. It gives me a basic shape to work from.

Edited by Orso
2 people like this

You are a very brave (skilled) modeller attempting to match corrugated parts in 1/72! I have no experience of this trimotor variant. Can you tell us more about it?

Will

1 person likes this

ford1m_06.jpg

I cut a part from the nose and added some Northrop Gamma parts instead. It gives me a base shape to work from.

2 people like this

The 8-AT is actually a single engine version of the trimotor.

Pacific%20Alaska%20Airways%20Ford%208-AT

It flew with six different engines. I would love to have a Hisso engine version but I settle for this.

1 person likes this

I'm always facinated by models that are far off the beaten track and yours surely is! :D

I couldn't do that as I simply don't have the knowledge to do such an undertaking, so I'm glad that somebody is! :winkgrin:

Looking forward to seeing the finished model! :)

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Its a very long time since I saw anyone doing anything with this kit. Very interested to see how you get on with this build.

Martian

Excellent start on a challenging project, Sir.

Looking forward to more.

ford1m_07.jpg

I started to dress up the nose.

ford1m_08.jpg

I have to improvise as I don't have to many pictures. But I build for fun and besides not many persons will know how it really looked like.

1 person likes this

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:56, Orso said:

I build for fun

The very best reason for doing it!

Martian