Raf hurcules j

goose

Hi I have the Italeri 1/72 hurcules c-130 j 

What could I put inside the loading area?

Any suggestions just to hide the basicness of it

Edited by goose

A cheap and cheerful fix I saw many years ago involved an OXO cube and coffee stirrers from Macdonalds. Can't remember who made it but they contrsucted a pallet from the stirrers then used the cube as a load. Covered it in damp tissue to look like a tarpauling. When painted it looked rather effective with the added benifit of costing next to nothing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shatters said:

A detailed interior ? ;)

Phil

Ha ha I'm not very skilled at scratch building to be honest 

On 03/05/2017 at 1:47 AM, goose said:

Italian 72 hurcules j 

Any suggestions just to hide the basicness of it

I assume you mean the Italeri 1/72 C-130J Hercules? (that's awful spelling, grammar and syntax all in one post)

However, if you want to have the ramp open, see if you can find a large truck which can be carried by the C-130J (you may even find a die-cast) and position it like so.......... all you need to detail is a few ribs on the interior and a bit on the ramp. You might even find the load-lady in 1/72!

166th_Airlift_Wing_C-130_Hercules_suppor

'Hurcules' - quite apt I think from my first experience of the beast during an ATC Annual Camp at RAF Thorney Island around 1968 when it was the OCU for the Hercules which had not long entered service and 470 (Falkirk) Squadron was given an Air Experience Flight in one for some local medium level flying around Hampshire and from which every single one of us came back from carrying at least one 'sick-bag'.     That particular experience was never repeated but in later years was always glad to step out into 800 feet of fresh air rather than land in them.

As for loads for the Hercules C.1 at least the annual solo display often included a tactical display where from what I recall over different years included a ground element supported by different vehicles unloaded from the aircraft which in different years were variously a Scimitar / a Scimitar and a LWB Landrover / a pair of LWB Landrovers.      Unless there are 1/72 diecasts available the only kits I can think of for these are the Airfix Scimitar and the originally JB Models and more recently Airfix re-boxed LWB which are all 1/76 scale and of which the Landrovers would need a little surgery and additional detail to be displayed minus their tops but even with these a fair amount of scratch detail would still be needed to fill the cavernous and empty rear end still exposed around them.

I think the first part of your response to someone who, more than likely, isn't native English speaker is a bit harsh... I do like your pic, though. Would like to find something similar (someday) in 1/48 when I get around to building my Italeri C-130E.

On 2017-5-5 at 9:08 AM, Ed Russell said:

I assume you mean the Italeri 1/72 C-130J Hercules? (that's awful spelling, grammar and syntax all in one post)

However, if you want to have the ramp open, see if you can find a large truck which can be carried by the C-130J (you may even find a die-cast) and position it like so.......... all you need to detail is a few ribs on the interior and a bit on the ramp. You might even find the load-lady in 1/72!

166th_Airlift_Wing_C-130_Hercules_suppor

It's called not really reading, after phone has self predicted itself, not what I wrote 

You just wanted an excuse to use that particular emoticon, Don.

How about an Airfix Gazelle, suitably unclothed, if you can find one? Or a civilian ambulance? I believe Oxford Diecast have one in their range, and it can come under Military Assistance to the Civilian Authorites (MACA) rules.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just closed the ramp and door on my C-130E and will do the same on the C-130J-30, as the amount of detail required is quite demanding really and most of it is in the ramp area behind Fuselage Station 737 (the ramp hinge), rather than the cargo compartment. For my C-130H, I'm putting a 1/72 Australian Army UH-1H into the cargo compartment as the load, complete with packing boxes for the removed bits like rotor blades (thanks Mick O'Brien for the idea in 1/48!) and will detail the ramp and door sides with some help from the Airwaves set. The large load will hide most of the cargo compartment sides and roof!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I just closed the ramp and door on my C-130E and will do the same on the C-130J-30, as the amount of detail required is quite demanding really and most of it is in the ramp area behind Fuselage Station 737 (the ramp hinge), rather than the cargo compartment. For my C-130H, I'm putting a 1/72 Australian Army UH-1H into the cargo compartment as the load, complete with packing boxes for the removed bits like rotor blades (thanks Mick O'Brien for the idea in 1/48!) and will detail the ramp and door sides with some help from the Airwaves set. The large load will hide most of the cargo compartment sides and roof!

Rob,

Sounds like a plan! I have a Hasegawa 1/72 deuce and a half  I've   been saving to put in the back of my Italeri C-119 for just the same reason....oh boy, now I'm gonna need some more nose weight!

Mike

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 4:58 AM, T7 Models said:

You just wanted an excuse to use that particular emoticon, Don.

How about an Airfix Gazelle, suitably unclothed, if you can find one? Or a civilian ambulance? I believe Oxford Diecast have one in their range, and it can come under Military Assistance to the Civilian Authorites (MACA) rules.

You're onto my game, sir! 

• Like 1

Some cheap options-

1/72 Revell: Warrior MCV

1/72 Revell: MAN LKW trucks (these German army trucks are not exactly like the MAN trucks used by the British Army today, but half-hidden inside a C-130 fuselage, would be close enough in my opinion)

Diecast:

1/72 Amer diecast Warrior (one of those magazine part-work models that are now easily available on ebay)

1/72 Carama Diecast: Landrover Defender 110 (needs repainting, and a few basic mods to better represent a military type- and in my opinion this is MUCH better than using the various kits/diecasts of military Landrover Series III, which dates to the 70s.)

Small manufacturers:

1/72 SandS models resin 'Snatch' Landrover (intended for wargaming, but looks quite neat) http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product-category/post-war-modern-vehicles/20mm-172-post-war-british-vehicles/

They also do a Bedford TM truck (1980's- Gulf war era)- which would really fill the C-130 cargo bay. I don't know whether this was within the capabilities of the RAF C-130, so I hesitate suggesting it. 

Good luck!

Will

The idea of a die-cast vehicle is a good one. Some of them may have a glossy finish; so, a light spraying with a clear flat/matte finish may be needed. The upside of a die-cast is that it is already built. You need only place it in the cargo bay. Will's suggestion of likely types should help.

Joe

• Like 1