Canopies shine like Klear/Future

Jack109

Good day

I am working on canopies at the moment. I am tryng to find a product to make them shine like the well known future/klear.

I have 3 separate question on the matter,

1)I know there is Humbrol clear, but I would like an alternative to that. Maybe a cheaper solution!?

I tried with valleyo gloss, satin or Matt but it fogs my canopies.

2) when it fogs how do I clean it?

3) if I scratch it by mistake, after sanding how do I give new shine to the canopy?

I am no ready to scratch build yet...

I know there are many topics on this but I didnt find exactly an answer to this.. I am looking for old school solid methods.

Thanks a lot

1) It does seem odd, but it isn't model varnishes which you should use – it's floor polish. That is what 'future' is (in the USA). I use 'Pledge' which is easily available (I got mine in Sainsburys) but there are plenty of other alternatives. Just dip the canopies in and then leave to dry – make sure dust can't get on them.

2) Unfortunately they may be bu****ed, unless you do…

3) It a pain but you will need to, sand out the scratch then use finer and finer sandpaper until you get to something like 2000 grit. Then use a plastic polishing compound (white toothpaste works well) and polish the sanded area until it's clear again. A dip in Pledge should help to remove the final blemishes.

There may be other methods, but that is what I do.

Hope this has helped.

Gorby

• Like 1

Thank you Gorby

1) That is helpful, but I cant find pledge in my local store.. which other varieties do you suggest? I have read may posts but they only made my ideas messy...

I tried lubricant for chains, but its very oily. I ve seen they sell floor polish for wood but not sure if it will shine.

2) so once is fogged is ready for the bin?

3) ok this is clear, so I will use tooth paste and the product at point 1 that I still need to identify,

thanks again!!

1) There was a thread recently about this very thing...

2) I would unless you need it.

3) don't forget it needs to be sanded out before the toothpaste step.

I've just noticed that I said 'floor varnish' in my first reply - change that too 'floor polish'. very important difference.

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

as Gorby has said, Klear/future (made by S.C.Johnson) is an acrylic floor polish, available from all of the large(ish) branches

of your (or the wifes / girlfriends) favorite supermarket, also from the likes of Wilkos.

If your a member of a club, 'Future' is also available in commercial 5ltr containers, a little large for one person! but as a group purchase.......

If you dip your canopies BEFORE they get near superglue, you shouldn't have a problem with 'fogging'.

Should you have a branch of Lakeland near, they do a product that is very similar and sold in a similar size bottle (500ml)

HTH

Paul

Ok Thanks!

Now I have an idea of what I should get, at least this is available. Thank you so much!

Its a bit pricey on ebay goes for 16 pound with shipping, no Lakeland stores ready available.

I am keen to go to my local TESCO/ Sainsury /lidl to check for cheaper alternatives to share with everyone after testing.

EDIT after paul post: I will look again for Pledge but on my first attempt I didnt see it.

just 1 clarification: which are the elements in the product I should look for?

e.g. Acrylic base, wood wax etc...  I am afraid to get a milky solution that does not dry clear.

Modelling is an amazing hobby but very challenging!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Jack109

I would be surprised if Tesco or Sanies didn't have Pledge - which I think only cost about £4. It is milky appearance, but make sure you experiment on a spare/scrap canopy. The bottle I bought looks like this:

Pledge_Multi_Surface_Wax_Klear.jpg

All right I got that, today I will go and scout for this, in fact is available on sainsbury website. Maybe not in the local sainsbuty I checked.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/polishes-dusters/pledge-multi-surface-wax-750ml

I ve read in some topic that the milky variant was not good and that only the old clear one was the ticket.

many thanks!!!

Jack

When I was working in UK during 2013-2014 I purchased Pledge floor polish with Future shine. It was a bluish color, cloudy, but dried clear as can be and worked just like the original Future/Klear. I got it at either Sainsbury or Tesco and remember it being very inexpensive at £2 or so. 

Try it on anything and see if it dries clear, doesn't have to be a model or canopy. Great thing is, if you put it on a canopy ammonia can take it off so you can start over. 

I went around... 1 m&s, 2 sainsubury, 1 cost cutter, another house related store, tesco and Wilco and poundland. This last as last resort. No sign of pledge floor polish. I found only the spry version.

Anyone tried It? 

Then I did a Google search and ordrred it online with delivery at local store. More expensive but Hey... Central london is hell :) 

Thanks to all' for the support, Next week I will be able to try it. 

Dear all'

While wondering at wilko and others I found a pledge multisurface spray, cheap at 1 pound.

Have you have heard of it?

Maybe its only a dust remover and does not give any benefits to canopies.

Its in a big Blue cannister . (I have to learn how upload photos)

Thanks 

If it's not too late, you could try this...

0_0_productGfx_4d4941e4ccf74da874ae05959

It's available from poundland and other such cheap shops. Only cost a quid and works pretty well. Also smells nice.

Matt

Thanks Matt 

I ordered the pledge but Will give a try to this !

Did you try it? How do you compare It with other brands?

I like when we Can Save money and share the knowledge !!

Interesting topic.

If your aircraft is straight out of a factory the canopy will shine like-- new.

If you are portraying your aircraft as in theatre for instance Afghanistan then the canopy would not be all

shiny. With the sand etc on every take off and landing it undergoes treatment. Even more with helicopters

which take off in a sand blasting exercise.

Just food for thought. All my aircraft I portray in service and I have left the plastic as is as realistic for

that mode.

Laurie

Having used Future/Klear for decades, I just tried (for the first time)  Alclad II Aqua Gloss Clear (ALC 600).  It is thinner than Klear, works even better on canopies and can also be used over hi-shine Alclad finishes without killing the shine. It is said to also prevent the canopy from fogging up when using CA, but I have not tried that yet. It seems to be a tougher finish than Klear, and cleans up with water -- BEFORE it dries.

I HIGHLY recommend this product!

Ed

• Like 2

Thank you Ed for your experience

can you also provide 2 elements on the product:

1) price

2) Availability

As  how we found out there are many products that do the same thing do its good to compare the best price/source.

As update I received my Future product, the milky looking one. Works absolutely perfectly, and yes its the 1000 time we say but YES works as the old one.

I am really curious to know how the poundland one works...

Ps> i checked in 1 poundland and I didnt find it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 0:02 PM, S5 modeller said:

If it's not too late, you could try this...

0_0_productGfx_4d4941e4ccf74da874ae05959

It's available from poundland and other such cheap shops. Only cost a quid and works pretty well. Also smells nice.

Matt

I picked up a bottle for £1 in The Range today- with the cleaning products rather than the art and craft stuff (they're missing a trick there).

On 04/05/2017 at 0:50 PM, Jack109 said:

Thanks Matt 

I ordered the pledge but Will give a try to this !

Did you try it? How do you compare It with other brands?

I like when we Can Save money and share the knowledge !!

I've used it a few times, and it seems good, but it's more prone to leaving surface marks from bubbles. You need to dip carefully to avoid this.

Apart from that it's easy to use.

I've also used alclad aqua gloss. This too is good. Trouble is, canopies won't fit through the bottle neck, so you need to pour it into a suitable container. 

Matt

4 minutes ago, S5 modeller said:

Trouble is, canopies won't fit through the bottle neck, so you need to pour it into a suitable container. 

Simples... pour a decent amount of 'Clear/Klear/Future/AquaGloss' product into a flexible plastic drinking cup and dip your canopies in that.

Once you've finished, carefully pour the polish back into it's original bottle and it should stay useable and fresh for quite a while.

When not in use, I also hide mine away in a dark cupboard to keep it away from UV light, thus stopping it drying up or getting thicker.

Cheers.. Dave.   

• Like 1

Hi, Jack109,

Been busy for a few days and I didn't see your query. The Aqua Gloss (ALC 600) is readily available at Amazon and E-Bay, and also at pretty much any hobby shop that carries the Aclad II line. Average price I'm seeing is around $8.00 U.S. plus shipping, or about $10.00 U.S. total. I found it in Australia for slightly more. It is certainly not as cost effective as as Future, but as I've said, I like it a little better.

One thing to be aware of the the Aqua Gloss -- do NOT shake it, stir it or thin it! I use my Aztek brush with a .4mm tip, as my Iwata with the .3 mm tip causes a little graininess, which the larger orifice does not. Lastly, turn the air pressure UP to about 20-30 psi.

Ed

I have been using the pledge now for a few days...

Result is ok! not super shiny as I apply it only once, which is ok for the effect I want to give.

Its good because with the pledge the inside of the cockpit or the pilot are more easy to be seen...

When I dip the canopy in pledge I shake off any excesses, so far its not bad!

If I knew before I would have tried the 1 pound delight cited above!

Thanks to all

Instead of shaking off the excess, I've always heard/read that the clear part should be placed on a paper towel to allow the excess to wick away. I have only done this once ( I'm a painfully slow and mostly incompetent modeller ) but it worked a treat.

My 2 cents.

Chris