Mosquito FB Mk6, 811 Squadron FAA - Finished

This has been in the stash for some time. I bought it as the Freightdog Models 'Brits at Sea' transfers sheet had an FAA Mosquito. The sheet has TE711 of 811 Squadron, based at NAS Ford in 1946. My Sea Hornet is getting close to completion and I thought another DH aircraft would be in order. Rather than fight a limited run like the Hornet or the resin Sea Devon I did for the airline GB, hopefully a Tamiya kit will go together fairly easy. 

Z

Here's the transfers. I do like the Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey finish.

IMG_1719_zpsh1jrb7i6.jpg

Ii previously painted up the interior green but it's well under the 25% previous build. 

IMG_1720_zpsl91nzwce.jpg

Edited by 825
Finished
  • Like 2

Great subject choice,....good luck with the build. If I remember correctly I don`t think that the nose machine guns were fitted

Cheers

Tony

I'd try to find a photo of the aircraft - those instruction on the decals indicate twin wingtip lights but the trailing edge ones are deleted on the FB6.

More Mosquitos is good, but that's one aircraft that's over represented by the decal manufacturers given that it's on at least four separate sheets!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Great subject choice,....good luck with the build. If I remember correctly I don`t think that the nose machine guns were fitted

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. There is a picture of a sister ship in the Stuyvesant book which doesn't have the nose guns, so despite them making the Mossie a mean looking machine I'll omit them. Any other info gratefully received.

10 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

I'd try to find a photo of the aircraft - those instruction on the decals indicate twin wingtip lights but the trailing edge ones are deleted on the FB6.

More Mosquitos is good, but that's one aircraft that's over represented by the decal manufacturers given that it's on at least four separate sheets!  

Thanks. I'll see what I can find. The photo mentioned above is from the front, and isn't all that clear, so it doesn't really help.

I'm not too bothered about it being a common set of transfers.  I'm too much of a Scot to let the transfers go to waste. I feel I had had some more time I may have tried to see if I could have made one of the FAA night fighter Mosquitoes. I believe there was at least one ace crew. Unfortunately tempus fugit and I'm not the fastest builder. 

Found it.  Stuart Howe - De Havilland Mosquito: An Illustrated History vol. 1 Page 107 has the aircraft in question but from behind and the tip is cropped by the photo.  However, on pages 108 and 115 there are photos of other aircraft from the same unit and they definitely have the single wingtip light.  They're all consecutive serial codes, so presumably were posted direct from production to the Navy.  

As none of the aircraft have any machine guns fitted in the group shots, I'd presume that FD-4L didn't either, so best to delete them and fill the ports (although a clear decal and then sprayed over may give a better effect).  All appear to be quite dirty.  None shrouded exhausts on all aircraft and none are shown carrying drop tanks.  Don't delete the "Monica" blister just aft of the tailwheel well and use the larger paddle blade props.

Hope that helps!

Edited by The Wooksta!

Thanks Wooksta, really helpful. Tamiya give the wing tips with and without the rear lights and give both types of prop blade.

Tamiya unusually suggest starting with the nacelles and wimgsso here we are at the end of today. Less than an hour's work and the need for filling and sanding is where if been a little over enthusiastic removing sprue gates. Or added the obligatory glue finger mark. So much easier thean the Sea Hornet. I've also made a start on the cockpit by adding the transfers for the IP and seat belts. No photos yet of the latter. 

IMG_1734_zpsw1bhoqfk.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started to sort out the cockpit and ended up here. 

IMG_1745_zps5cnjuln9.jpg

The cockpit detail is nice. There is a black wash and some dry brushing on the black but otherwise pretty straightforward. 

IMG_1746_zpseyzbus4h.jpg

I know some are not so keen on transfer seat belts due to lack of depth but to be honest I think the look pretty good and once buried inside the lack of depth won't show but the detail will.

Fuselage front panels added and closed up. The engineering on this kit is phenomenal, the fuselage literally falls together. 

IMG_1747_zps1avtgdtx.jpg

Just look at this joint between the main fuselage and the front panels, almost invisible. All that was done was it was the front was slotted into place and a wash of solvent run down the inside and left for a couple of minutes. 

IMG_1748_zpsbhevktiq.jpg

• Like 1

Bomb bay and other bits added. A couple of pictures to show the joints. Will need a little gentle sand and polish. Apart from one bit where is was a bit over enthusiastic sanding off a sprue gate. 

IMG_1749_zps3dynp3qi.jpg

IMG_1750_zpskg5ggyi2.jpg

Tailplane on as well

IMG_1751_zps1fjpx9vh.jpg

I know I'm sounding a bit obsessive but the fit is excellent. It takes more time to cut off the prue and remove the gate than it does to fit it all together. I have to file down two bits to get them to fit and that is likely to be the paint rather than the fit per se. 

Here is the Mossie (wings just slid on) after a few weeks compared with months of work on the Special Hobby Sea Hornet. I am thoroughly enjoying this build. 

IMG_1753_zpsvztyzx4s.jpg

• Like 2

On 01/05/2017 at 0:44 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Tony, do you know if the belly guns were fitted? I've seen a few pictures of the nose and as you say the nose guns are not fitted but panelled over. I'm going to use some tissue paper to represented what possibly was doped canvas. However, I can't find any photos of the underside. As the Mosquitoes were issued to 811 in lieu of them getting their Sea Hornets, I presume that they might have had some armament for weapons training, but without photo confirmation this could just be theoretical. And just as probable wrong. 

9 hours ago, 825 said:

Tony, do you know if the belly guns were fitted? I've seen a few pictures of the nose and as you say the nose guns are not fitted but panelled over. I'm going to use some tissue paper to represented what possibly was doped canvas. However, I can't find any photos of the underside. As the Mosquitoes were issued to 811 in lieu of them getting their Sea Hornets, I presume that they might have had some armament for weapons training, but without photo confirmation this could just be theoretical. And just as probable wrong. 

I don`t know for sure but I would think that they would have retained the cannons or at least the use of their cannons, The openings may have been be covered with canvas anyway, to be shot away when fired. The cannons may well have been removed and put in the armoury to be fitted for specific sorties in which they were needed ,... but that would mean adding ballast I suppose.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, that's where I was thinking. I'll maybe leave them on and avoid having to make up more paper patches.

At the end of today, the Mossie has a few coats of Medium Sea Grey.

IMG_1758_zpsvg0v5kzr.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsotxdgesw.jpg

Looks not at all bad, IMHO

Masked up the airframe and a couple of coats of RAF Dark Green brushed on. 

IMG_1775_zpsbiqix2xw.jpg

Starting to look like a proper aeroplane now. Have also dipped the canopy in Klear.

IMG_1781_zpsazzd1cga.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks gents. I've now got the red centres in the roundels and it looks even better. No chance for a photograph this evening but should post something in the morning. 

As promised. 

IMG_1783_zpskbemvgby.jpg

• Like 2

Undercarriage all put together. Fairly complex but pretty robust when assembled.

IMG_1784_zpsessq0rix.jpg

And now fitted into the nacelles.

IMG_1787_zps2e4gij1h.jpg

And standng on one's own three wheels.

IMG_1788_zpsmybt8jyz.jpg

IMG_1789_zpsyv9b596m.jpg

Just the canopy, wing lights, the props and a few bits and pieces to finish. The blue spinners are taking a lot of coats of paint, but the props are done and ready.  

• Like 3

Props nearly done

IMG_1791_zpslt6sti22.jpg

and popped on

IMG_1794_zpsfcdjlitx.jpg

Canopy masked with a Montex mask

IMG_1797_zpsk7looymt.jpg

As you say DAG058 nearly there. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Nice work on the spinners and all round 

Martin h

Thanks Martin, the spinners took a long time and they're not perfect and I have hidden the less than perfect parts underneath. But I'll live with it.