1/72 seafire XVII conversion

21 hours ago, TheRazgriz118 said:

I'm still very new to scale modelling but my best suggestion would be to maybe experiment with plastic sheet to extend the wing chord to match the edge of the fuselage and hopefully that would work with maybe some scribing here and there as needed.  I saw someone do this with the italeri 1/72 su-27k to correctly shape the area where the canards meet the fuselage. Just my two cents. Hope it helps :)

Hiya!

Cheers ! Yea I've  used some plastic card to close the gap and align 

Go with the trailing edge alignment and trim down the leading edge at the root.  The Airfix 19 is known to have too wide a chord on the wing and my gut feeling is that it's at the leading edge, which makes the cowling look too short when in fact it's the same length as all the other two stage Griffon Spits out there.  

Edited by The Wooksta!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Go with the trailing edge alignment and trim down the leading edge at the root.  The Airfix 19 is known to have too wide a chord on the wing and my gut feeling is that it's at the leading edge, which makes the cowling look too short when in fact it's the same length as all the other two stage Griffon Spits out there.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys! 

Yea i went with the  trailing  edge, was very very noticeably short if aligned to the leading edge!

Two sword xvis turned up today! Looking  forward  to  planning how to convert  to Xvìi! :-)

Sword did a Seafire XII kit!  There should still be plenty about - I haven't bought THAT many!  And given you're in the right neck of the woods, the Ventura kit has be reissued by Jays Models.

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/

It'll need some cleanup and a fair few bits from the spares box (Eduard's mk IX can be your best friend there!), but it can and does build into a cracking little model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Wooksta! said:

Sword did a Seafire XII kit!  There should still be plenty about - I haven't bought THAT many!  And given you're in the right neck of the woods, the Ventura kit has be reissued by Jays Models.

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/

It'll need some cleanup and a fair few bits from the spares box (Eduard's mk IX can be your best friend there!), but it can and does build into a cracking little model.

Yup. ;) I used one of these, to build this. It had its moments but still a good basis for a Spitfire XII.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Hiya, yea im thinking  te ventura/jays kit will be the way to go; quite a bit of reshaping from a lowback  spit xvi to a seafire!! :mellow: 

Got the fuselauge together on the 45, though gotta use some dullcoat on the wing beneath the cockpit as 8s shining  through!