Airfix 1:72 BAe Lightning F2A

Another in the flurry of April completions crosses the finish line. This is the Airfix Lightning F2A.

I wish I had had this kit in the 80s and 90s when all there was to work with was the elderly Airfix kit. And even now, I wish they had chosen the F1 and F3, due to the higher number of colorful markings. I suppose I could wait until Airfix does the earlier marks (since that has worked out so well with the metal wing Hurricane...)

I thought I had aftermarket decals for 92 Squadron, but if I do I could not find them when they were needed, so I used the kit markings. That is fairly rare for me; I will try to use aftermarket stuff, if only to put my own mark on the model. One troubling thing was that some of the Airfix decals, such as the wing walk lines, actually pulled up as they dried. I'm not sure that the sealer coat will keep them down. We'll have to see. 

This is completed aircraft #470 (3 aircraft, 0 ordnance, 1 vehicle for the year), finished in April of 2017.

DSC_0688_zpsnoqqfvgc.jpg

DSC_0687_zpsy0d9mmux.jpg

• Like 18

I think it looks absolutely brilliant, especially the decals and particularly that yellow touch around the cockpit.

I mean, really, really good,

Michael

Hi Kevin:

I would love to   have one in my hands to  add to the Lightning collection, have the Matchbox single seater,  Hasegawa/Revell  and the two Airfix variants all to build, hope tp do first an F3 and later some of the others. It would have been impressive to watch this bird in action overhead!!!

I like your Wonderful  build Kevin, nice finish and wonderful colours!!

Thank you veery much for sharing, 

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso