Shackleton

sinnerboy

Greetings Peeps

Title says it all really, what are you opinions on the merits and negatives of the two Shackleton kits available ( soon to be three )

Fancy making one and don't mind if it's a Mr2 or a AEW2 just would like you're views as to which is the best kit overall.

TIA

Rick

• Like 1

This thread covers the various details of both kits quite well

Personally speaking, I found the Revell kit generally superior, in fit, plastic quality, finish and accuracy (I have been involved with Shacks and have plenty of tech references) wise. 

However it lacks any interior detail which the Airfix kit has in spades and does really well.

As you can see in that thread, I built a Revell AEW with the Airfix MR.2 interior (actually for an AEW!).

My Airfix examples were made from a soft plastic, which featured warping and sink marks, and was generally harder work to put together, I'm hoping that their new AEW.2 release will feature the new plastic seen on their other new releases.

• Like 2

For the Shackleton, if you don't have the rivets it doesn't look right.

So I'd go for the Revell; you're not going to see much interior when it's finished!

As 71chally did so well,go for the Revell with at least the front interior gubbins from Airfix as it can be seen.His thread shows the necessary corrections too.

Buy the T4 /MR1 conversion and do that with the Airfix one.I'm slowly doing that at moment

I'm still figuring out how to do the rivets but will probably use a rivet wheel to make the indentatons to at least give the impression of the quilted look.

There is an absolutely superb WIP on the SeaKing showing riveting taken to perfection but I'm not that brave!

• Like 1

Airfix.  I've built both and prefer it.  Didn't enjoy building the Revell one at all and it's been abandoned to gather dust.

As for cheaper...  Well, shop around.  Some traders were knocking out the Airfix Shack for £25 last year.  Wish I'd bought a few more as I want one for a wing donor for a Tudor.

• Like 1

Agree with most -go Revell. I've built both, and the Revell was a joy to build-Airfix less so. I liked Revell's engineering-thought it was better than Airfix. One word of caution-Revell has you build the engine nacelle's separately and then attach to the wings. After you do that, it has you put the engine exhausts onto the nacelles-that is a real pain to do. I recommend you attach the exhausts while you are building the nacelles. Outside of that, a very easy kit to build. 

I abandoned my Airfix MR.2 build, but I am saving the relevant parts (turret, etc.) to convert a Revell AEW.2 back to an MR.2 at some future date.

2 hours ago, Welkin said:

I abandoned my Airfix MR.2 build, but I am saving the relevant parts (turret, etc.) to convert a Revell AEW.2 back to an MR.2 at some future date.

Have you kept the rest of the wreckage?  I could be tempted to take it off your hands.  I'm really after the wings, engines and u/c for an Avro Tudor build.

• 4 weeks later...

71chally points you to a great thread about the two Shackleton kits. If you go through all 4 pages; you will learn a lot about these two kits. Both have their adherents and detractors, so, it is a case of what features and details, etc. that you prefer. Some like both, I might get both when I have the money. Good luck in your build!

Joe

• Like 2