Ghost in the Shell helicopter kitbash/scratch build

Sambowlambow99

Hello, 

I'm wanting to kitbash/scratch build a helicopter from the anime film "Ghost in the Shell". What would you recommend I do? It has the features of a Hind, but it has a bay where snipers are perched. Any scale will work. https://goo.gl/images/Yq9vxn

Yours truly,

Sam

• Like 1

Start with a basic Mi-24D.

The pilot's cockpit would need those bulgy window thingies (I think that's the technical term) added but the gunner's looks the same as a normal hind.

The Hinds had the troop carrying cabin and the kit doors could be modded using plasticard.

I have no idea what the rest of it looks like but thats a start for you.

Richard

56 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Start with a basic Mi-24D.

The pilot's cockpit would need those bulgy window thingies (I think that's the technical term) added but the gunner's looks the same as a normal hind.

The Hinds had the troop carrying cabin and the kit doors could be modded using plasticard.

I have no idea what the rest of it looks like but thats a start for you.

Richard

I cannot find a hind variant with two bulgy window thingies on the top. The helicopter I'm building has twin bulgy thingies on the top.

12 minutes ago, Sambowlambow99 said:

some concept art

How to make a Mil Mi-24 even uglier!

No Hind has those bulged windows at the pilot's bit. They are fairly useless aren't they..huge areas of obscured vision..not what you want in any flying machine.

Most obvious things:

Cockpit canopy

6 blade main rotor.Not too difficult to make a blade or scrounge a spare from someone.

Big filters on engine intakes (Look like from a Sikorsky HH-53C)

Bigger wings (Do they fold down to close part of the side door?)

Pod on fin instead of tail rotor.

Huge open area on fuselage..much bigger then normal door

Mega huge ginormous cannon type thingy on front.

Certainly looks doable but I wouldn't buy the most expensive Mi-24 kit (That's the canny Scotsman talking)

I would suggest easiest in 1/72.

One thing for sure nobody is going to argue over precise dimensions,or have I spoken too soon.

Richard

PS where's the undercarriage?

4 hours ago, Scimitar said:

How to make a Mil Mi-24 even uglier!

No Hind has those bulged windows at the pilot's bit. They are fairly useless aren't they..huge areas of obscured vision..not what you want in any flying machine.

Most obvious things:

Cockpit canopy

6 blade main rotor.Not too difficult to make a blade or scrounge a spare from someone.

Big filters on engine intakes (Look like from a Sikorsky HH-53C)

Bigger wings (Do they fold down to close part of the side door?)

Pod on fin instead of tail rotor.

Huge open area on fuselage..much bigger then normal door

Mega huge ginormous cannon type thingy on front.

Certainly looks doable but I wouldn't buy the most expensive Mi-24 kit (That's the canny Scotsman talking)

I would suggest easiest in 1/72.

One thing for sure nobody is going to argue over precise dimensions,or have I spoken too soon.

Richard

PS where's the undercarriage?

Thanks. The wings do fold down and I'm not sure about the undercarriage.

A Google search gave a name and description.

Megatech Hekatoncheires Sniping Helicopter: The unique sniping helicopter is Section 6's premier piece of equipment. This chopper is designed specifically for sniping targets at extreme ranges from an airborne position. When the helicopter is in position, the sides fold out and the floor lowers creating a platform for four snipers, two on each side. The snipers jack into "device drivers" which control their cardiovascular functions and ensure weapon stabilization. Once jacked in, the snipers and their "Ultima Ratio" rifles become a part of the helicopter. They use its small targeting pods for extremely accurate target acquisition. There is no more precise sniping system in the world, and with the aid of the AWACS helicopter, the two are an almost unstoppable team. Special Equipment include chaff and flare dispensers, military radio with scrambler and laser communicator, auto pilot and navigation, cybernetic linkage, military radar, terrain-following radar, laser detector, telescopic optics, thermal imaging and microwave rangefinder. It has no weapons except for four snipers armed with "Ultima Ratio" Full-Sensing sniping rifles. All snipers using this system operate as if using the Hawkeye cybernetic eye (+4 bonus second round, +6 third round, +20 2d4 rounds later) except they also gain +1 critical threat rating and the range increment increases by x2. Also, if the shooter fires more than once in a round, his bonus to hit applies to every shot that round. The next round requires a new aiming cycle.

It shows the concept drawing as seen above which

seems to have twin bubble canopy's for two pilots?

The helicopter in the film clip pictures has those odd

bubbles with flat windscreens but no wipers. In the second

picture the upper structure can be seen. The exhausts are

at the rear, unlike a Hind or Puma. The main rotor appears

to have four blades. The 'wings' when deployed, being so

large, would probably blank out half the downforce and make

hovering a bit dicey.

Weird, all in all, but this is the world of anime so anything goes.

I'd probably get (in 1/72) a Hind, a Puma and maybe an NH90?

and chop and change until I had something like.  As for those

bubbles, maybe 1/144 bubble canopies?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Megatech Hekatoncheires Sniping Helicopter: The unique sniping helicopter is Section 6's premier piece of equipment. This chopper is designed specifically for sniping targets at extreme ranges from an airborne position. When the helicopter is in position, the sides fold out and the floor lowers creating a platform for four snipers, two on each side. The snipers jack into "device drivers" which control their cardiovascular functions and ensure weapon stabilization. Once jacked in, the snipers and their "Ultima Ratio" rifles become a part of the helicopter. They use its small targeting pods for extremely accurate target acquisition. There is no more precise sniping system in the world, and with the aid of the AWACS helicopter, the two are an almost unstoppable team. Special Equipment include chaff and flare dispensers, military radio with scrambler and laser communicator, auto pilot and navigation, cybernetic linkage, military radar, terrain-following radar, laser detector, telescopic optics, thermal imaging and microwave rangefinder. It has no weapons except for four snipers armed with "Ultima Ratio" Full-Sensing sniping rifles. All snipers using this system operate as if using the Hawkeye cybernetic eye (+4 bonus second round, +6 third round, +20 2d4 rounds later) except they also gain +1 critical threat rating and the range increment increases by x2. Also, if the shooter fires more than once in a round, his bonus to hit applies to every shot that round. The next round requires a new aiming cycle.

It shows the concept drawing as seen above which

seems to have twin bubble canopy's for two pilots?

The helicopter in the film clip pictures has those odd

bubbles with flat windscreens but no wipers. In the second

picture the upper structure can be seen. The exhausts are

at the rear, unlike a Hind or Puma. The main rotor appears

to have four blades. The 'wings' when deployed, being so

large, would probably blank out half the downforce and make

hovering a bit dicey.

Weird, all in all, but this is the world of anime so anything goes.

I'd probably get (in 1/72) a Hind, a Puma and maybe an NH90?

and chop and change until I had something like.  As for those

bubbles, maybe 1/144 bubble canopies?

Thanks for the advice, I knew it took a lot of digging.

On 01/05/2017 at 6:48 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

You've too much time in your hands Pete..thankfully as now I don't need to do it :D

Some cross-breeding project though!

• Like 1