P-8 Doesn`t meet RAF Specifications!!

tonyot

18 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Sadly the Americans are now busily ruining anything with a Cadbury's label on  it.

To be fair, they are doing this in smaller portions.

And in further fairness, they do some things rather well, like microbrewery beers. Here is a recent sampling....

1762A2D4-B488-4922-B37E-F295B42E8285_zps

EB857AAF-2D85-4309-BC27-6B8F899A361F_zps

76E22241-3F77-41A1-B2B0-E4AB9F04A45A_zps

Does this his qualify as thread Drift?

Trevor

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul J said:

So why was the opening picture in that article showing a Nimrod?????

Umm, because most of are Brits and therefore all new things, including, but not limited to stuff from the Colonies, are automatically to be viewed with disdain and not a little sniffiness as really not quite up to snuff whereas the old stuff that we built is obviously far better.  We like old stuff.  After all it is old, which means it has character, and we're still using it1, therefore it must be good. The P-8 is new and it's from the Colonies.  I rest my case.

Post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and a large helping of tongue-in-cheek.

1 - Well obviously not Nimrods, unless you've got some very special razor blades

Edited by TheLurker
Grammar
  • Like 5

On 02/05/2017 at 4:37 PM, Jeepboy said:

I just read the article on line and it was amazing how much the P-8 in the Express on line article looked like a Nimrod.  That'll fool the Ruskies as they know we scrapped all the Nimrods they'd ignore any P-8 camouflaged as a Nimrod.  Cunning plan.

Plane

I didn't realise the RAF drank their tea from fine bone china.  No wonder there's such a big black hole in the defence budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

I know I am a peasant, but it is hard to beat a Hershey Big Block with almonds when a chocolate fix is needed.

I love love love chocolate, and knowing this, a few years ago the American parents of my daughter-in-law, send me some Hershey bars. What I tasted was very very nasty, it certainly wasn't chocolate and was deposited in the bin.

But it reminded me of something...

Being of a curious nature, I once tried one of my dogs choc-drops and the taste and texture was a very close match.

So, in summary, Hershey 'chocolate', is what we give to our dogs.

My daughter-in-law now loves Cadbury's and can't stomach the Hershey stuff now.  

• Like 4

On 5/2/2017 at 7:44 AM, tempestfan said:

How about a Surplus TeaOrnado with Flowery Tippy Buddy pack ?

I'm wondering what Milspec knitted "tank cosy" will be ordered to keep the tanks warm whilst at QRA...

As for chocolate. Don't try Australian stuff as they seem to think "carob" = chocolate.

Hopefully there are some artisan manufacturers hidden away, producing quality treats!

16 hours ago, georgeusa said:

No, really, tell me your true feelings on the subject, I sense you are holding back. Just out of curiosity, what would be real tea?  (Being serious here, I really don't know.  Grew up on only sun tea and iced tea. Didn't have any hot tea until was in law school!). Also, there is also something called "Lady Grey" tea. Did the Earl's missus get jealous and wanted her own version?  

And I know I am a peasant, but it is hard to beat a Hershey Big Block with almonds when a chocolate fix is needed.  Now, if you would like to talk beef, I'm all in. I generally only eat beef that I watched grow up to a nice looking steer.  That Texan thing you know. 

Lady Grey is Early Grey with citrus notes from peel and reduced bergamot.  Its pretty good on its own, cold or hot with a large sploosh of rum in it.  

Normally my tea has to be NATO and strong enough to stand my spoon up in it.  But the Grey's are a nice change.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

I love love love chocolate, and knowing this, a few years ago the American parents of my daughter-in-law, send me some Hershey bars. What I tasted was very very nasty, it certainly wasn't chocolate and was deposited in the bin.

Glad someone else's experience has mirrored mine.  When I visited the US, my American friend was keen for me to try a Hershey bar as part of my introduction to American life and culture.  I wasn't sure which I preferred, the alleged "chocolate" or the cardboard stiffener behind the bar.  Pretty much a draw, flavour-wise. 

• Like 2

Im sure the cardboard tasted better unless it had been impregnated with 'flavour' by being in close proximity to the abomination that is the confectionary bar (I refuse to call it chocolate!)

8 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Glad someone else's experience has mirrored mine.  When I visited the US, my American friend was keen for me to try a Hershey bar as part of my introduction to American life and culture.  I wasn't sure which I preferred, the alleged "chocolate" or the cardboard stiffener behind the bar.  Pretty much a draw, flavour-wise. 

I think there's some sort of inverse proportion law affecting chocolate bars and the distance from the Cocoa bean's point of origin .  The further east you get from the point of origin the better the flavour.  It's also a, tiny,  bit like that, "I know my place" sketch from the Frost Report (or mebbe TW3 - whatever).

CEC "I am Continental European Chocolate,  I look down on that because it is British chocolate. I am upper class. "

BC   "I am British Chocolate I look up to that because it is Continental European Chocolate. I look down on that because that is USA Chocolate. I am middle class."

USAC " I know my place."

Sadly I have to agree  with those denigrating USanian "chocolate". A colleague brought a large numberHershey bars back from a work related trip some years ago.  Almost all of them were left uneaten. Imagine that! Uneaten chocolate in an office full of software developers!

Edited by TheLurker
  • Like 2

On 15 May 2017 at 6:42 PM, Max Headroom said:

To be fair, they are doing this in smaller portions.

And in further fairness, they do some things rather well, like microbrewery beers. Here is a recent sampling....

Trevor

Things have changed then: I was introduced to root beer at RAF Upper Heyford when I was in the CCF.  It looked like Coke and tasted like Germoline (please don't ask how I know what Germoline tastes like).

• Like 2

Not only will the range be affected by the weight of the tea carried, you must also factor in the milk that goes with it. I'm certain our American cousins have not thought of either. ☕️-🥛=☹️. ☕️+🥛=😋

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

not forgetting the scones, butter, Devon cream, strawberry jam preserves

Ah yes, but cream or jam first (or doesn't it matter)

Trevor

• Like 1

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:24 PM, stever219 said:

To describe Hershey as a chocolate-coloured congealed vomit is an insult to chocolate-coloured congealed vomit.  I tried it once and that was twice too many.  Sadly the Americans are now busily ruining anything with a Cadbury's label on  it.

Don't buy Cadbury any more and I'm gagging for a crunchie...have thought about making my own with British or even proper euro stuff.....but defo not polish American Cadbury.

That's not political by the way I'm pro EU just not a fan of Modelez or kraft or what ever they are called....each to their own :rant:

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 8:40 PM, Max Headroom said:

Coffee is horrible foreign muck.

Tea however is thoroughly British.

Trevor

(milk no sugar thank you Vicar)

Is now the wrong time to point out that we Brits were coffee drinkers before we were tea drinkers?

Karl

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bordfunker said:

Is now the wrong time to point out that we Brits were coffee drinkers before we were tea drinkers?

Karl

Thank you for pointing that out. 

That's Darwinism. Tea officionados  evolved from coffee drinkers.

Trevor

......my tongue is firmly in my cheek but I can't find a tongue-in-cheek emoticon 

• Like 7

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 11:51 PM, junglierating said:

That's not political by the way I'm pro EU just not a fan of Modelez or kraft or what ever they are called....each to their own :rant:

Mondelez produces Milka which used to be Swiss made  (Suchard) but now seems to come mainly from Austria. I prefer varieties that are made from milk products and cocoa butter, but actually some of those consisting mainly of palm oil taste rather nice. 

As insulation for the buddy pod I recommend one of those ceramic coatings, so the P-8 crew may fry an egg or two. This of course requires a roof hatch to be incorporated into the P-8.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Mondelez produces Milka which used to be Swiss made  (Suchard) but now seems to come mainly from Austria. I prefer varieties that are made from milk products and cocoa butter, but actually some of those consisting mainly of palm oil taste rather nice. 

As insulation for the buddy pod I recommend one of those ceramic coatings, so the P-8 crew may fry an egg or two. This of course requires a roof hatch to be incorporated into the P-8.

Easy to clean too ..so I believe.lol

8 hours ago, tempestfan said:

but actually some of those consisting mainly of palm oil taste rather nice. 

Mrs Hovis won't eat anything with palm oil in it, they make Orang-utans homeless in the collection of it apparently....

• Like 1