P-8 Doesn`t meet RAF Specifications!!

tonyot

10 minutes ago, camper1 said:

I think non compatibility with RAF tankers is pretty much a major oversight, who specifies equipment these days?

Will adding a probe like on an E-3 not be an option?

What is the endurance of a P-8 anyway?

Trevor

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, tonyot said:

The RAF have discovered a design flaw in the P-8 which the American`s just did not foresee!!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/798183/RAF-US-military-aircraft-designers-cup-tea-nuclear-submarine

Cheers

Tony

When I just read the topic header, I thought I would be so funny and quip "Didn't have a tea pot installed?"  Who knew that was going to be the issue.  For long flights overseas us poor, pathetic grunts, who clearly don't have a brain since after all, we are going on this stupid mission no one else thinks we have a chance of surviving, came up with the novel idea of thermos bottles filled with the hot/cold liquid refreshments of our choice.  (Yeah, I know, it can be used for both hot and cold purposes, quite versatile!)  After finishing the contents, the bottle can then be pitched on the floor and some constant amusement as to how far it will rattle around in the cargo bay versus how irritated the flight crew gets that we are messing up their ride can be had by all.  (Composing this at the same time I am sipping some Earl Gray.  (Oh, did I use an a instead of an e, color me bad.  Oops, forgot the u!  This English stuff is hard to do.)

georgeusa the heathen, colonial septic

P.S.  The range of the British P-8 will be significantly lower than the American version due to the weight of the tea making machine, stocks of different types of tea, china cups/saucers, silver spoons, purified water, man servant to brew tea for the crew, and then the associated biscuits, finger sandwiches, and accoutrements needed for civilized tea sipping.  Not to mention the serving table and chairs!  

• Like 19

Let's not forget the additional weight of copies of the Times for the crew to read whilst sipping their tea. Time to catch up on the footy scores.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

And what's the betting that the geniuses at Boeing, having forgotten to provide tea-brewing facilities as a factory fitted option (or listing it as a too-hideously-expensive-option-for-the-Misery-of-Disarmament-to-consider) have also failed to provide an Elsan (or similar) to deal with the results of all of that tea consumption?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

And what's the betting that the geniuses at Boeing, having forgotten to provide tea-brewing facilities as a factory fitted option (or listing it as a too-hideously-expensive-option-for-the-Misery-of-Disarmament-to-consider) have also failed to provide an Elsan (or similar) to deal with the results of all of that tea consumption?

Not to mention the rack for holding all those back copies of Viz. 

Edited by Meatbox8

On 5/1/2017 at 6:46 AM, bzn20 said:

I'm still amazed flying commercial, the instant that the seat belt sign goes out the Self Loading Freight HAS to unfasten their restraint.

Leave it connected but loosen it a bit for comfort.

Then laugh as others hit the ceiling in turbulence. (Having crawled across a ceiling inside an aircraft in a fully developed stall, this is not a fun way to fly)

On 5/1/2017 at 8:38 AM, Learstang said:

Let's not forget the additional weight of copies of the Times for the crew to read whilst sipping their tea. Time to catch up on the footy scores.

Which means that the man-servant will require an iron for putting the creases back into the newspaper. Does Crab Air have an appliance fitted for such tasks?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

What is the endurance of a P-8 anyway?

Trevor

The USN are reliant on the USAF tanker fleet to sustain the P-8 and I think we will be if needed.

Just when they want to move the tanker fleet from RAF Mildenhall to Germany.

Julien

18 hours ago, camper1 said:

I think non compatibility with RAF tankers is pretty much a major oversight, who specifies equipment these days?

To many free lunches and the 'it will be alright on the night approach'is not good for the military.

The USN IFR gear (and USMC) is the same as the RAF's ,Basket. The USAF  flying boom has to have a basket fitted for it to work. So are we saying the P-8s uses the USAF system where the boom is a "probe" in to the aircraft as opposed to the aircraft having a probe ?

Edited by bzn20

10 hours ago, hairystick said:

I'm still amazed flying commercial, the instant that the seat belt sign goes out the Self Loading Freight HAS to unfasten their restraint.

Leave it connected but loosen it a bit for comfort.

Then laugh as others hit the ceiling in turbulence. (Having crawled across a ceiling inside an aircraft in a fully developed stall, this is not a fun way to fly)

Which means that the man-servant will require an iron for putting the creases back into the newspaper. Does Crab Air have an appliance fitted for such tasks?

I once flew to Barbados in a Virgin 747.  A nice older couple were sat next to me and it turned out that the woman had been a stewardess on Britannias in the 1960s.  She told me that on one flight over the Alps the aircraft suddenly dropped about 10,000 feet and that she only avoided going through the ceiling by hanging on to the refreshments trolley.  She was fully inverted apparently, with her legs dangling upwards!  Since that story I've always just loosened my seat belt unless I need to go to the Khazi. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, camper1 said:

To many free lunches and the 'it will be alright on the night approach'is not good for the military.

I think getting the aircraft into service is probably a priority over getting an probe and drogue AAR capability. Do the latter and you're without a maritime capability for the best part of another decade too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Adding an Inflight Tea Refuelling probe admirably solves the heater Problem. Great idea ! Does the RAF have a dedicated tea tanker ?

17 hours ago, stever219 said:

Could easily be solved by (emptied) Thermos bottles, instead of letting them rattle around on the floor.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tempestfan said:
52 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Adding an Inflight Tea Refuelling probe admirably solves the heater Problem. Great idea ! Does the RAF have a dedicated tea tanker ?

Sadly not; all of the TeaC-10s have been withdrawn from service and the TeaSR2 never got into service.l

• Like 10

I just read the article on line and it was amazing how much the P-8 in the Express on line article looked like a Nimrod.  That'll fool the Ruskies as they know we scrapped all the Nimrods they'd ignore any P-8 camouflaged as a Nimrod.  Cunning plan.

Plane

On 01/05/2017 at 3:51 PM, Max Headroom said:

It'd certainly be easier to add a probe than vice versa. Interestingly the pipework between the Boeing Wedgetail boom receptacle (which looks very similar in architecture to the E-3 pipework that was adapted for a probe) and the P-8 appears to be quite different (considering they are only a model of 737 apart). That may make it a little tricky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2017 at 4:23 PM, georgeusa said:

(Composing this at the same time I am sipping some Earl Gray.  (Oh, did I use an a instead of an e, color me bad.  Oops, forgot the u!  This English stuff is hard to do.)

georgeusa the heathen, colonial septic

If you are drinking Earl Grey, you aren't drinking real tea but a hot bitter drink that Patrick Stewart persuaded Americans was tea. You tried a similar trick by trying to persuade us that Hershey was chocolate rather than some chocolate-coloured congealed vomit... didn't work though...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

If you are drinking Earl Grey, you aren't drinking real tea but a hot bitter drink that Patrick Stewart persuaded Americans was tea. You tried a similar trick by trying to persuade us that Hershey was chocolate rather than some chocolate-coloured congealed vomit... didn't work though...

No, really, tell me your true feelings on the subject, I sense you are holding back. Just out of curiosity, what would be real tea?  (Being serious here, I really don't know.  Grew up on only sun tea and iced tea. Didn't have any hot tea until was in law school!). Also, there is also something called "Lady Grey" tea. Did the Earl's missus get jealous and wanted her own version?  

And I know I am a peasant, but it is hard to beat a Hershey Big Block with almonds when a chocolate fix is needed.  Now, if you would like to talk beef, I'm all in. I generally only eat beef that I watched grow up to a nice looking steer.  That Texan thing you know. 

• Like 1

'Lady Grey' tea is just a poor tea trading on the name without it crossing copyrights etcetera.

True Earl Grey tea is actually very nice, but it must be made of Indian Darjeeling grown leaves. Trust me; when you've had the true stuff you'll know the difference.

There are many, many good teas. All blended to suit the tastes of various regions. A Yorkshire tea isn't suitable in Belfast for example, but both are very nice, in their own way.

Just stick to a good reputable blend, preferably from a British company - who have been blending teas longer than the US has existed - using Indian grown leaves

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

To describe Hershey as a chocolate-coloured congealed vomit is an insult to chocolate-coloured congealed vomit.  I tried it once and that was twice too many.  Sadly the Americans are now busily ruining anything with a Cadbury's label on  it.

• Like 5