P-8 Doesn`t meet RAF Specifications!!

tonyot

This story doesn't surprise me, the J model Herc was also totally impractical for UK needs having only provision to make 1 cup of coffee at a time and a microwave cooker. Lockheed were at a loss to answer the question as to wether the microwave was N V G compatible ( we were only half joking). And oh how we laughed when it was discovered that the microwave's ping could be mistaken for the ACWS warning ping, resulting in panic from the two pilots when the Loadmasters warmed his pie. 

• Like 14

Meal and drink breaks is an H&S issue. Esp on 10 hour plus missions.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Yeah but the MoD would end up paying over £1,000 for each one! 

And a coach load of MOD PE with clip boards making a note of the dimensions. Have a think. Hang on, where do Premier Inns  get those 30 minute boil , 2 cup efforts from?

• Like 3

Haven't the RAF heard of the Thermos? :P 

I think it was the fault of the MOD for overlooking this vital piece of kit in their specs. 

It's not as if the Americans don't look after their own aircrew. I remember controversy years ago when it was revealed that the coffee maker on the C5 was expensively engineered to survive a 40g impact. It seemed like overkill but some wag pointed out that the after a 40g impact the crew would definitely need a cup of coffee.:huh:

I once worked for a cargo airline which flew 727s of mixed heritage. Some had water heaters, some of which worked some not. The crews constantly wrote up the faulty ones as a 'carried forward defect'. But the parts couldn't be got and it made us in Engineering look bad. So my boss sent a memo to all aircrew threatening to deactivate all water heaters if they continued to list them in the CFDs. 

Problem solved!

Edited by noelh
Wrong C
  • Like 5

I know most of this has been a bit of laugh ( the MOD PE bit is real !) but any aircraft kit has to be tested to some level of G, Stowable and locked down so it doesn't move. Electrical compatibility tests so it doesn't interfere with other systems. Flight Safety. On 10sqn VC10 Mk1s out of Brize  a galley failure, ovens, hot cups, fridge, water boilers, potable water would be a red line/no go.

Hmm as infered to in the comic newspaper there is a off the shelf pussers bit of kit that is available 28vdc supply standard NATO.Problem is it has to be bolted to something.....the supply is probably the easy bit.....sharp intake of breath whistles through teeth....I'll get back to you with an estimate.....wont be cheap!

Then again there are always service mods (not contractor)......maybe

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, junglierating said:

blimey great minds VC10 bloke;)

Thanks to that Argos link I looked at. I now have loads of Argos ads for that heater thing on several websites. Go on ebay, you'll see it!  None for a P-8 yet !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Thanks to that Argos link I looked at. I now have loads of Argos ads for that heater thing on several websites. Go on ebay, you'll see it!  None for a P-8 yet !

Ha ha ha just been on there 3 other people are looking at it LMAO....That will confuse Argos.

Meanwhile isn't Morthy Richards British By chance!

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Hmm as infered to in the comic newspaper there is a off the shelf pussers bit of kit that is available 28vdc supply standard NATO.Problem is it has to be bolted to something.....the supply is probably the easy bit.....sharp intake of breath whistles through teeth....I'll get back to you with an estimate.....wont be cheap!

Then again there are always service mods (not contractor)......maybe

They better ask Boeing to drill the holes then. :whistle:

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Yeah but the MoD would end up paying over £1,000 for each one! 

Yeah, bought on a PFI initiative. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Ha ha ha just been on there 3 other people are looking at it LMAO....That will confuse Argos.

Meanwhile isn't Morthy Richards British By chance!

We couldn't possibly buy British.  Not the done thing these days. 

• Like 4

It's a pity no one thought about putting a hot water boiler on our new carriers.  Now they can't have tea or cat and trap. 

• Like 4

Not sure about PFI

We had a saying in the RAF....NFI  Not F..............  Interested

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Not sure about PFI

We had a saying in the RAF....NFI  Not F..............  Interested

We used that in the Army too,......quite a lot!

• Like 1

I think non compatibility with RAF tankers is pretty much a major oversight, who specifies equipment these days?

To many free lunches and the 'it will be alright on the night approach'is not good for the military.

• Like 3