AN-12BK "CAVOK" WIP

33516252984_e5aff7fcf2_o.jpg
34358374245_05fe2fac36_o.jpg

When I saw a picture of UR-CKL of "CAVOK" air I just had to build one, I bought a Roden 1/72 kit at Duxford last year for this project. I hope to finish this before I leave for the UK again in 3 weeks. I designed the required decals and because white is required I am getting them printed for me by "DEKLS"

34317144796_2ed98a6071_o.png

• Like 5

That's lovely looking and different from the standard military schemes. We sometimes have similarly painted An-12s fly into our local airport from Ruby Star of Belarus.

Nice. I love the AN-12 and have one in the queue, although mine will end up as Indian. Once I have  decided where it will finally live I'll start it ;)

Martin

Hello Wally,

This model is not to be missed.

Stunning paint job on this Russian workhorse.

I have seen these (Russian Flagged) aircraft in Northern Kenya. They were used for food supply drops in Southern Sudan.

Very impressive to see them "start-up" Long procedure,  accompanied by lots of noise.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

Edited by Orion

4 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

That's an eye catching AN-12! I've seen this one IRL a few times. I love the roar of the engines. How is the Roden kit?

Evert

Hello evert,

this is my third Roden kit, I have built the 1/48 Turbo Porter and the T-28 Trojan, the AN12 is the nicest and goes together pretty well, the engine nacelle to wing interface is the only problematic area

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Well there's a coincidence Wally, I've just done a set of decals for a mate of mine for the same aircraft!

Hi Dave, they look familiar ! :smile:  How do you print the "white" bits?

cheers

wal

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wallyinoz said:

Hi Dave, they look familiar ! :smile:  How do you print the "white" bits?

cheers

wal

Hi Wal

The orange & yellow is laser printed, the black & white (with white undercoats for the orange & yellow) is printed on my Oki (Alps) printer. I use spot colour printing on the Oki, so the artwork is black whichever colour is being printed.

The image I posted is a low res jpeg from coreldraw vector artwork, so the decal printout is much sharper than the image.

I stick to modelling G- plate civil stuff in 1/144, but I do enjoy checking out your custom civil models when you post them. :smile:

Very nice work, really does look the part in that scheme!

We had in at work a while back to pick up a spare engine, hadn't realised that there was 72nd kit of a 12, will have to invest now!

• 3 weeks later...

This has been my latest project I have been working on and off for the last coupla months.. Because I required quite a bit of white decalage I got my designs printed by "Dekls" at a very reasonable cost, I need to re-do the decals especially around the emergency exits as the carrier film is way too noticeable (two layers of decal paper white underneath and yellow on top) I also need to put aerials and wires as well as clean and tidy up.. I dont know if I will have time to do this before I leave for the UK in a few days
33968300593_6aa2390a77_h.jpg
33935079874_d597ba0be8_h.jpg

Duxford Air Show next weekend..Whoo Hoo!

• Like 4