Academy 1-32 Sopwith CAMEL - 'Kiwi' Beamish

Having firmly forbidden myself any new WNW Sopwith Camel until I had finished at least one of the old Academy kits in my stash, I did this one with a Part/Poland etch set and a home-made decal for the personal insignia.

New Zealand ace Harold F. 'Kiwi' Beamish flew with No. 3 Naval (later No. 203 Sq. RAF) on the Western Front, credited with 11 victories in some 500+ hours of combat flying, most of it in Camels. He scored 4 of those victories in 'Tiki' (N6377) during the summer/autumn of 1917. Poor 'Tiki' ended up on her back following a landing accident, but Beamish apparently took the panel with his personal markings with him home to New Zealand, where it was proudly displayed on the wall of his home. New Zealand's last surviving WW1 fighter pilot, he passed away at the age of 90 in 1986.

34345746035_bd5cf48a71_b.jpg

The Part p-e set provided a lovely interior, detail parts for engine and control surfaces, and lots of tiny rigging brackets (with separate attachment parts, no less) which I used with EZ-Line (and lots of CA) for the flying and landing wires.

Major mods to kit parts included adding styrene-rod pushrods and brass-tube and rod spark plugs to the engine, and cutting the kit-molded 'rigging loops' from all the struts. Guns are kit breeches with the Part set's p-e jackets and faces/ringsights. Most tedious of all---but necessary---was sanding down the molded rib detail on wing and control surfaces, which looked more like corrugated sheet-metal than the fabric-over-rib surfaces we all know and love.

Paints are my own mixes of Tamiya acrylics, weathered/textured with oil glazes and drybrushing. Decals are almost entirely from the old-but-sturdy kit sheet, with name and serials made up from railroad letter/number sets. Beamish's personal insignia---the golden fern leaf, iconic symbol of his beloved New Zealand---was made up from a tweaked online image of a real fern leaf, and printed on my home inkjet.

Great fun, and rather an absorbing project once I got into it. Hope you enjoy the photos.

34345745905_3fa2ab1fed_b.jpg

34304816636_2f5137729b_b.jpg

34304816496_38a16c1021_b.jpg

34304816376_556302d850_b.jpg

34304816166_f346fdf604_b.jpg

34304816046_bf87b91951_b.jpg

34304815916_707fe87d04_b.jpg

34345746285_2f1c8d91cb_b.jpg

34304815836_3fc202a5be_b.jpg

34345746175_e5c3677321_b.jpg

34345746095_42175b9927_b.jpg

34304815726_33908fb883_b.jpg

33783443535_ed860d3c6c_b.jpg

32668054593_7d5ceb3170_b.jpg

33409947520_e243eaaae5_b.jpg

33664926111_c76e6d4562_b.jpg

• Like 43

A stunning model with beautiful attention to detail.  Those Vickers look great. Thanks for the back story too.   I've always liked Naval aircraft from this period because of their flamboyant colour schemes.  I can't help thinking that RNAS pilots must have been pretty miffed to be transferred to the RAF, if for no other reason than that were ordered to re-paint their aircraft in rather dull regulation markings and any individuality was to be removed.    Still, I'm sure the 'powers that be' new best as to what was good for morale!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I can't help thinking that RNAS pilots must have been pretty miffed to be transferred to the RAF, if for o other reason than that were ordered to re-paint their aircraft in rather dull regulation markings and any individuality was to be removed.    Still, I'm sure the 'powers that be' new best as to what was good for morale!

Ah, yes, well don't they always??:smirk:

Many thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

You`ve done a wonderful job and I love the colour scheme, plus the back story,...... thanks for sharing it with us and cannot wait to see what you do with the WNW kit,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That is a truly superb job on that & a great bit of info about one of my countrymen who, I'm ashamed to say, I'd never heard of. That shall be rectified with more research. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

It was all news to me as well Steve! Thanks for celebrating a New Zealand pilot, and showing your magnificent build so close to our ANZAC Day (25 April) when we remember those who served and sacrificed so much. 

I cannot think of a more fitting tribute.

Cheers

Tania

• Like 3

The googlesphere turns up quite a bit about him, one thing that struck me was, after being turned down for army service with a weak heart, he travelled to the UK, enlisted in the RNAS & scored 11 victories, mainly on Camels. He was on leave back in New Zealand when the war ended so stayed farming on the family farm & lived till the ripe old age of 90. Some weak heart. He sounds like he was a can do type.

Steve.

• Like 4

What an interesting and thought-provoking backstory to this magnificent subject. As magnificent is how the model turned out I might add - Makes me happy looking at it. 

Jay

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F1xena said:

It was all news to me as well Steve! Thanks for celebrating a New Zealand pilot, and showing your magnificent build so close to our ANZAC Day (25 April) when we remember those who served and sacrificed so much. 

I cannot think of a more fitting tribute.

Cheers

Tania

Thanks to all for your lovely comments!

I had actually attempted to 'get it under the wire' for ANZAC Day, but alas 'real life' intruded and I missed the mark. Having been of a generation to actually have known some of the veterans of the Great War---including my grandfather---these builds all eventually lead me back to thinking about the men more than the machines. The idea of any project being a small tribute to those hardy and dutiful souls is never far away.

Thanks again, to all.

Edited by thorfinn
  • Like 1

Great result from the Academy kit, the etch really adds to it as well.

I've heard that it is a pretty good kit, though I have not seen one, and you have certainly got a lovely result fro it.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Great result from the Academy kit, the etch really adds to it as well.

I've heard that it is a pretty good kit, though I have not seen one, and you have certainly got a lovely result fro it.

Cheers

John

Thanks. The Academy kit is basic, but not horrid---soft detail and some flash and such, plus some things that are just odd...like a tailskid that looks like a (large) truck's rear-view mirror, and instructions that direct you to install the guns upside-down. Worst is the 'corrugated' wing ribs, but an hour with some sandpaper resolved that rather nicely. The rest is just adding the detail one fancies---but the Part p-e set is grand, and really adds a lot.

Cheers

• Like 1