Trumpeter 1:72 MiG-31

One of my projects for this GB will be Trumpeter's brand spanking new MiG-31B/BM. 

It looks like a great kit. This isn't a full preview, so I won't post a shot of every sprue, but here are some highlights. 

The lower fuselage is largely a single part, with raised and recessed detail. 

IMG_20170429_201513145_HDR.jpg

The recessed lines are very petite. Miles ahead of the ICM and Zvezda kits. 

IMG_20170429_201643124_HDR.jpg

Awesome landing gear details

IMG_20170429_201532813_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170429_201558194_HDR.jpg

Cockpit parts. There are several instrument panel options, and the instructions are a bit vague about what goes with what. There are also decals to overlay onto the various panels. The inner exhaust details are a bit soft, but should do. 

IMG_20170429_201733217_HDR.jpg

Various sundry detail bits. This is a pretty complex model.

IMG_20170429_201712238_HDR.jpg

The paint guide for the small arsenal provided with the kit. You see this, Hasegawa? This is how you sell a modern jet! 

IMG_20170429_201809134_HDR.jpg

There is much more in the box, and it will be revealed as the build progresses. 

I don't know how accurate the kit is, but I'm happy with what I see.

Building to begin shortly. 

• Like 6

Construction began with the main wheel wells. Here is what one of them looks like. Six parts in this assembly alone.

IMG_20170501_214432804_HDR.jpg

The instructions suggest painting these silver, bit I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

Interesting... Alot of the parts breakdown looks like a miniature version of the 1/48 hobbytrump mig 31. Especially in the cockpit and nose gear bay. 

Pity about those pin marks in the u/c bay walls. Should have put some knock out nodes on them, again the 48th versions parts are covered in these, especially on the intake trunking...

Didn't even notice until you pointed it out. 

That will be under a lot of other bits, and nobody is going to be shining a flashlight up in there to check. More important things in life. 

• Like 1

A bit more progress. I assembled the nose gear and we'll. The gear isn't glued in yet, nor is one of the well walls. 

IMG_20170505_213212467_HDR.jpg

I also painted and assembled the intake trunks. 

IMG_20170505_234639819_HDR.jpg

More soon.

• Like 3

Rear fuselage coming together. This kit is not as well engineered as trumpeters MiG-29 that I just finished. The fit of the intakes is pretty poor.

IMG_20170506_121226735_HDR.jpg

Nothing that some putty and sanding can't fix, though.

• Like 3

It has an ugly seam line on both sides of the lower fuselage all the way to the wheel bays. Otherwise, no major issues, as it is a scaled down Hobby Boss Mig-31. If you read up on the errors on that one, you should have all the information you need. If you are not very picky about detail though, building it as is should work nicely. Those pin marks in the wheel bays - I actually thought it's part of the detail there, haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...