Gustav's Mixed Bag, the G-10

The Messerschmitt Bf-109G-10 differed from earlier versions of the 109 by the nature of its manufacturing, or rather, re-manufacturing.  As aircraft came in to be rebuilt to the G-10 standard a number of differences did not seem to warrant upgrading, additionally the supply of the "right" equipment was unreliable.  As a result some G-10 aircraft would have the DB605D and some the DB605AS; some had the MW50 power boost, some didn't, some were equipped the larger oil radiator and some were not.  Large wheels, small wheels, wheel well wings bumps, maybe, maybe not, short tail wheel, long tailwheel, large tailfin, small tailfin...the list goes on and on.  What that means for modelers is that a photo can be very helpful in figuring out which set of variations the G-10 being modeled had.  Of course if there is no photo your build may not be correct BUT without a photo no one else can prove it is wrong either.

IMG_5938_zps7hyhdmi9.jpg

Since I ended up with a couple of these kits I figured I should actually BUILD one.

Started it tonight, put the teeny-tiny joystick and the tiny seat into the small cockpit floor.  Magnifying glasses anyone?

IMG_5939_zpsnwo3oo2z.jpg

Greg in OK

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

without a photo no one else can prove it is wrong either.

Greg, that's how I like it too :thumbsup:

You may have to cool yourself for a few more days... That Revell kit takes you beyond the 25% limit before next saturday when we really begin, if you're not careful!

I really liked that kit. One thing you could still do is cut the seat backrest. The "seat" really was just a bucket where to put the parachute to sit on. It had no backrest at all. Revell is not the only one to do this wrong but luckily it's so easy to fix.

Best regards, V-P

7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

One thing you could still do is cut the seat backrest. The "seat" really was just a bucket where to put the parachute to sit on. It had no backrest at all.

Best regards, V-P

I should have looked at the pictures more!  :think:

I wouldn't worry about getting it done too early, I am still building for the DH GB (a DH-2, THAT is keeping my busy),  two builds for the Experimental GB (Frog Bristol 138a and a Hawk XF-92),  and I just started a Yak 7 for From Russia with Love the just before I started this kit.  I will be lucky to be done on time!

Greg in Oklahoma

Time to commit to the build!

I will be building the Revell 109 G-10 as "white 43" or "white 44" from NJG-11. 

True to my comments on the G-10 in general that means it will be a Revell G-10 with the long tailwheel from a Hobby Boss G6 (late) kit, the proper wheel well bumps from a HobbyCraft G-12 and a flame dampener from either the same G-12 or a photoetched set that I have.  Decals will be the Ventura set.

I cut the wheel well bumps and tailwheel out of those other kits today so I have commited to build this version.

Bf-109s....so many choices, so little time.

Greg in Oklahoma

• 2 weeks later...

My, but that is a small cockpit!  Since I build in primarily large scales, I forget how small 1/72 really is.  Good luck with your builds in all the groups in which you are participating!  Just don't forget this one!

• 1 month later...

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:43 AM, georgeusa said:

Just don't forget this one!

I'm back into this build now, my DH-2 is finished.  I will be working on both this kit and my 21st Century Toys 1/32 Bf-109 so I will not forget....

Greg in OK

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update.......

Medical issues knocked me on my rear....out of the hospital but not able to do anything with the two 109's.

I will have to finish them later.

Greg in Oklahoma