Are Enamel Paint Allowed On Aircraft?

BetaSingh

I looked at the thread categories, but wasn't sure where this category would go, so I put it under 'Real Aviation', but please move if appropriate. 

I am going to the Netherlands in May, and as many of you may have heard about, they have a very good modelling shop called Aviation Megastore, outside Schiphol. I was looking through their website and found their prices quite a fair bit cheaper than that in the UK, finding I could save nearly £7 on my models of choice alone. So I thought, great, while everything is cheap, why not stock up on some glue and paints, so I am thinking about buying some glue and 4 Humbrol Enamel Paints. My question is, are they allowed on planes, should i put them in hold or a handbag, and are they dangerous, and if they are allowed, what is the best way that you guys suggest I should take them back to the UK. 

All answers appreciated

BetaSingh

Edited by BetaSingh
Clarification

As Humbrol Enamels are Flammable, data sheet here: https://www.accesstoretail.com/uploads/documentation/ACF721F.pdf  you are not allowed to have them in your baggage, either hand, or hold. BA Regulations here:  https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions

This is because the 200 ml of enamel paint your 4 tinlets will contain pose a significant fire risk, (along with the 20 tons of aviation fuel and 200 litres of duty free scotch on your average flight)

• Like 8

British Airways state 

"paints (excl. water-based artist paints or artists' oil paints), solvents, varnish, etc." as prohibited. So if you can get some water based Acrylics you should be OK, but even Tamiya Acrylics are Flammable and as such are also prohibited. Not really worth the risk for a few tins of Humbrol in my opinion. 

But that will leave more room for kits! 

Actually I believe that you are OK with enamels providing they are of a size and type within the wording in the BA.

Which states. Paints (excl. water-based artist paints or artists' oil paints), solvents, varnish, etc.

I live in Jersey Channel Isles and all the Tamiya stuff is flown in. The size matters I am sure ie the size that

an artist would use. They all come in plastic heat sealed bags.

To be sure I would email them and explain what you want to do. Any affirmative reply take with you to show

on your journey.

• Like 1

I guess I'm lucky to have got away with smuggling in a few bottles of Modelmaster paint all the way from the USA last year. They were in the checked luggage admittedly. The TSA never noticed. 

I actually don't think there's a problem with tinlets particularly in hold luggage. I suspect it happens a lot. I know I've done it a few times blissfully unaware of any rules. 

Thanks all for the advice but I just found out that KLM, the airline I'm flying with, doesn't allow paints, varnishes, lacquers or glues, even water-based, so instead I'm getting another model, a sanding stick, and a few baseplates. :(

On 4/29/2017 at 10:37 PM, Troffa said:

British Airways state 

paints (excl. water-based artist paints or artists' oil paints)

Someone better tell British Airways that certain artists’ oil paints are prone to spontaneously combust.

Burnt umber (a particularly apt name) was well known for it at the Winsor & Newton factory.

Old Hand: “Mind out and keep an eye on the waste bin when doing that colour, it catches fire.”

Young me: “Yeah, all right. Whatever.” (stupid ‘ol fart trying to scare me)

Half hour later…..

One of the women on the production line: “Can you smell burning?”

Young me: “Expletive! Expletive! Expletive!”:frantic:

Old Hand fills a bottle of water at the sink and pours it over the smouldering waste bin, giving me an ‘I told you so’ look.

At the end of the day all waste materials from the oil paint production lines was put into a water filled 1000ltr IBC container and kept outside under a heat detecting water sprinkler system.

I am genuinely surprised that they never put warnings on the tubes of paint (especially burnt umber), or that we don’t hear more about artists’ studios going up in flames!

Mart

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BetaSingh said:

Thanks all for the advice but I just found out that KLM, the airline I'm flying with, doesn't allow paints, varnishes, lacquers or glues, even water-based, so instead I'm getting another model, a sanding stick, and a few baseplates. :(

Why so glum chum.....is it that hard to get paints where you are?...

I guess if you have to import them then you will be that much more careful with them....that said i've still got some compucolor....who remembers them? I have one that is the exact shade for an RAF Sabre ....some sort of blue . 

One other thing, I'm thinking of getting Revell Contacta Clear glue, and does anyone who have it know whether it is flammable or not, as I need to bring it on the plane, and 'highly flammable objects cannot be brought onto the plane'. All replies appreciated. 

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 20:29, junglierating said:

that said i've still got some compucolor....who remembers them?

Remember them? I've still got about four dozen tins of the stuff, including the RAF PRU Pink and that lovely shade of green that one of the RAE two sea Hunters was finished in. Also some Gloy and Precision paints. But that was in a different lifetime when I built wingy things.

John.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:16 AM, LaurieS said:

Actually I believe that you are OK with enamels providing they are of a size and type within the wording in the BA.

Which states. Paints (excl. water-based artist paints or artists' oil paints), solvents, varnish, etc.

I live in Jersey Channel Isles and all the Tamiya stuff is flown in. The size matters I am sure ie the size that

an artist would use. They all come in plastic heat sealed bags.

To be sure I would email them and explain what you want to do. Any affirmative reply take with you to show

on your journey.

Enamels are definitely NOT allowed on BA aircraft.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly a year ago I openly declared five pots of Xtracrylics when my hand luggage was being checked at Heathrow. The checker read the small print about them being water-based and non-flammable, and waved them through with no objections. I had them in a Ziplock bag to keep them together and prevent consequences of leakage. Under 100 ml, so above board.

I was boarding a Lufthansa flight, not that that should have made any difference.

It's absurd that you can board a plane with substantially larger quantities of readily-flammable perfumes or spirits, but I am not the first or last person to comment on this.

Edited by Steve Coombs
removal of spurious comma
  • Like 1