Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b RCAF

Emboldened by my success with the F-16, I decided to make a start on this as it's been a while since I've attempted something with a propeller (a Classic Airframes Whirlwind was my last one if memory serves me correctly :hmmm:).

Aviaeology decals, Eduard canopy mask, Quickboost seat and AML camo masks will be the extras on this one.

IMG_0757_zpsdjj1c21h.jpg

IMG_0758_zpshbkzeqyk.jpg

The seams on the cockpit inserts should disappear with a smear of filler down the side. The top will require a bit more work but this is small fry compared to the nose inserts on the Kinetic F-16.

IMG_0759_zps6pmj8enc.jpg

IMG_0760_zpsr6hhjs7g.jpg

IMG_0761_zpsgfeakwm4.jpg

IMG_0762_zpszshoabzx.jpg

A little bit of artistic licence has been taken with the cockpit, but not much will be seen once the fuselage is together apart from the seat.

Sean :pilot: 

• Like 4

Thanks guys. :)

I managed to get the fuselage halves glued together last night so I'll leave that until tomorrow to set nice and hard before I tackle the wings to fuselage part of the build.

• Like 1

Well the wings met the fuselage and the fuselage met the wings.

IMG_0776_zpseqbf2ysu.jpg

IMG_0777_zpsithiot77.jpg

IMG_0778_zpsoezi83nk.jpg

IMG_0779_zps0hz9trig.jpg

I tried to use some plastic beams to spread the bottom of the fuselage out a little bit to reduce the gaps. But there wasn't much give in the plastic and I didn't want to force it and end up breaking something. So I used some thin plasticard to fill the gaps which isn't something I've tried before on a build apart from this one. I'll let all that set overnight and will trim them down tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks Val. :)

The beast got primed tonight after I'd sorted out the seams. The wing to fuselage join took a lot more work to get right than I'd envisioned but it's good now :coolio:

IMG_0793_zpsk1dhltue.jpg

IMG_0792_zpsvdygq8nb.jpg

The next job will be the tail feathers and the windscreen then it's onto paint!

• Like 3

Thanks guys. :)

Fitted the horizontal stabilisers, built up the propeller (which is huuuuge) and painted the yellow parts as I figured this would be easier done now when it's just in primer.

IMG_0800_zpskyttl2qe.jpg

IMG_0801_zps8t1o9wri.jpg

I think I'll paint the underside tomorrow 🤔.

• Like 3

Today I've managed to get some more paint on it. I painted the sky fuselage band using Revell Aqua sky which has rubbish coverage so that required about 4 coats to get that looking good. I then turned my attention to the underside and gave that a coat of Humbrol medium sea grey which is also very translucent, so that will require a good few coats. I also finished painting the propeller which went off without a hitch :D .

IMG_0806_zpspbegwosn.jpg

IMG_0807_zpslh6q58km.jpg

IMG_0808_zpsyiumlkyo.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Christer A said:

Looking good in the sunshine!

Thanks fella :)

Not much to report over the last couple of days, still painting the undersides MSG which means long waits for the Humbrol enamel to dry and nothing picture worthy. But I don't mind, I'm quite enjoying taking my time with it and trying to get a nice smooth finish on the paint.

Sean

• Like 1

The beast now has a slightly different shade of grey on it.

IMG_0827_zpsqxoo7y9u.jpg

IMG_0828_zpsemkvumiw.jpg

That will now need to dry overnight and then a few more coats applied.

• Like 1

Final coat of green on and then masks off. The masks worked an absolute treat, much much better than I could achieve by hand. Just the D-day stripes under the fuselage and some touch ups and that's painting complete.

IMG_0855_zpszlnciefe.jpg

IMG_0857_zpsrcsfn55i.jpg

IMG_0856_zpsnfng4bcf.jpg

Sean

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Christer A said:

That looks rather spiffy!

Good luck with the stripework :goodjob:

Thanks fella. The stripes shouldn't be too bad, only one set under the rear fuselage. So that shouldn't be too difficult (he says confidently...)

Sean

20 hours ago, sithman said:

it's those stripes and my potential to ruin it that makes me worry for my 24th scale Typhoon!

(Do a stripe-less one then!)

I'd say the under fuselage stripes turned out fine! No underwing stripes then?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sithman said:

it's those stripes and my potential to ruin it that makes me worry for my 24th scale Typhoon!

Good job!

I never worry about how neat I get the stripes, I think they were done by eye in reality so even the real things aren't perfectly neat and tidy.

12 minutes ago, Christer A said:

(Do a stripe-less one then!)

I'd say the under fuselage stripes turned out fine! No underwing stripes then?

Thanks. There's a little bit of a mismatch between one of the white stripes and the sky fuselage band but I'll try blend it in a bit with the weathering. Funny you should ask about underwing stripes. My dad just asked the very same question, there's none on this particular aircraft apart from the ones on the fuselage.

I've fitted the windscreen and gun barrels today as well as giving it a gloss coat. I'll get some pictures of it once I've got the decals on.

Sean

• Like 1