This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Harrywilliams

What do you do with your "failed" kits?

After getting back in the hobby recently I decided to try a save my Airfix 1/72 spitfire, I didn't work, I ended up salvaging the useful parts and using the frame as a test bed for paints, so this leads me to the question, what do you do with your "failed" kits?

The same as you do, except I claim they're 'reduced to spares, following Category E damage'.

6 minutes ago, Harrywilliams said:

After getting back in the hobby recently I decided to try a save my Airfix 1/72 spitfire, I didn't work, I ended up salvaging the useful parts and using the frame as a test bed for paints, so this leads me to the question, what do you do with your "failed" kits?

Harry. What may I ask are failed kits.  :yikes:

Laurie

3 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Harry. What may I ask are failed kits.  :yikes:

Laurie

Well when I started making models years ago, I had no clue what to do, I would often skip instructions, paint without mixing or glue the wrong bits, (I have changed since :lol: and to be fair I was about 10 years old) so I decided years later to try and "rebuild" the kits but it never worked, so that's why there called "failed" kits, they may be beyond repair, but it doesn't make them useless, (like I mentioned I normally use them as test beds)

Usually, they become donor kits. If I can't rebuild it (and I'm talking AFV's now), I break it down and keep the usable parts. If it an be rejuvenated, then I do this;

John.

I display them in my glass cabinet with all the other "failures" !! 

Cheers... (a not too perfect) Dave.   

Well, when some build goes wrong, I try to make a vignette/ diorama out of it. Maybe a crash landing (if a plane), or some blown up tank...