Hello from Yorkshire

Bonkin

Hello to all,

A long time lurker on these forums I thought it was about time I joined up. My name is Drew, I'm in my mid 40's and I've returned to the hobby after some 30+ years. A lot of things seemed to have changed since those times. I used to make exclusively 1:72 Airfix kits to hang from my bedroom ceiling and progressed up to the big 1:24 scale kits. Everything was done with tube glue and Airfix/Humbrol paints. These days I'm still passionate about aircraft and am very lucky to be an Aerospace Engineer, pretty much exclusive to the BAE Systems Hawk, and I find retiring to my "man cave" at a weekend to do a spot of model making really relaxes me and takes away the stresses of the working week.

I've been investing in the cave and my toolset for a while and have now moved into using an airbrush and Vallejo acrylics. In the stash I've got the Airfix 1:24 Hurricane, Spitfire and 109 and I hope I can make at least half as good a job on them as the fine examples I've found on these forums. (The Spadgent's Bf109E4 in particular comes to mind) :

Before all those though I have a particular project I'm working on - which is a 1:35 Diamond-T tank transporter as driven by my old man in the 1950's.

All the best to you... and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Drew.

P.S. The 1:72 kits are still hanging on my ceiling at my parents house. They never had the heart to take them down when I moved away to College and University!

• Like 2

Welcome to BM Bonkin (Bonkin!, why do I keep thinking that 'Bunny' should follow your name?). Your story sounds very very familiar, so you will be amongst good similar company. I would love to do 1/24 but storage space dictates smaller scales - I hope you enjoy building them.

Hi Drew, very similar to yourself here, although a bit older. A new member who always used to do 1/72 planes back in the 70s. 

I bet you'll enjoy the 1/24 kits. I made the Stuka last year, also have the Hurricane and took the plunge on the Mosquito. 

All the best and welcome, Martin.