A swarm from 3./HLeLv 24 - Fin(n)ished

vppelt68

Just to let you guys know your GB Host is still active with his own builds, I do a text only- update to save your eyes for model building purposes ;). I have made steady progress with a minimum of logic. The interiors need instrument panel decals and PE seat belts to be attached, then the fuselage halves would be ready to be joined. I have also assembled the intakes and attached them. The spinners have the white sections painted and wait for the black green paint, though one prop+spinner may be painted black and white :hmmm: But I won´t tell you more about that yet. Four props will receive yellow tips, one not, and they are already masked so I can paint the spinners and blades next. I checked that the R6 cannon barrels can be attached to their gondolas from the outside, and then cemented one pair on. So far I have been very happy with these AZmodel kits. One thing they have addressed in their instructions is the excess height in rear radiator faces that is to be filed off. That´s easy, and/but really needs to be done. Dryfit the wings to be sure they are low enough to fit inside the wing halves. If you don´t want to display your radiator flaps open, I might recommend leaving those-to-be-hidden parts off completely :innocent:. One thing I think they should show more clearly in the instructions is the exact location for the gun gondolas. I think I got close enough (with reference to my books) but it wouldn´t hurt to have a small scale drawing that shows the distance from wheel well opening to the pod. To continue with the silly sequence o´ mine I´ll probably paint at least most of the wing surfaces before joining them to the fuselage... I have to keep up my reputation, you see :mental:. V-P 

• Like 2

• vppelt68 changed the title to A swarm from 3./HLeLv 24

Slowly... but surely... advancing the build of 4,5 planes (the G-6/AS comes along too but not the fuselage parts, yet)

DSCN3339_zpslodmk7mo.jpg

My first aircraft PE parts ever attached  :thumbsup:  and I hate them :swear:. Never again, I believe...

DSCN3340_zpsf4ypr4cy.jpg

Though they look decent-ish when folded down, they can hardly be seen when the fuselage is assembled and the canopy closed. Worth the effort :hmmm:?

DSCN3341_zpsnc9iv3fo.jpg

Looks like I need to trim the trim wheel in the tan fuselage!

DSCN3342_zpsgpwiuh0u.jpg

Because there´s no logic in my build sequence, I masked off the to-be-yellow wingtips. One will remain all blue.

Best regards to all and happy modelling! V-P

• Like 5

A small update - no, better say it´s a minimal update - is still better than no update at all:P. Following the logic of not logic, I want to paint the wings NOW. So, here´s the lower surfaces after the first thin layer of Humbrol enamel. I used to be happy brushing that stuff straight from the tin, but at this tender age of four dozen years I´ve learned to like heavily thinned paint :hmmm:

DSCN3343_zps5gejv0ad.jpg

That pic above was taken before I brushed on the second layer, which appears to have taken roughly half an hour.

DSCN3344_zpswy6uibmt.jpg

That all-blue wing without to-be-yellow wingtips looks kinda weird to my eyes... :wacko:  Best regards, V-P

• Like 5

Your 109 factory seems to be working at a steady pace!  Just don't let the workers have a strike and shut down production.  You must be very organized as I have only two builds going at the time and it is hard for me to keep the spruces separate. Keep up the good fight!

• Like 1

And I´m done... not! I just put some decorative stuff close to my workbench  to provide some inspiration.

That Heller G-6 gunboat on the right is my first attempt at Britmodeller and its Group Builds :cheers:

DSCN3345_zpsm3tmllin.jpg

Here are the props and spinners.

DSCN3353_zpsrvoqln2e.jpg

Here´s the quartet as it stands now.

DSCN3354_zpsrvrbcpzp.jpg

My next Bf 109:s will be G-2:s... I hate adding those MG bulges, whatever make the kit is, they are a :pig: to get nice. regards, V-P

• Like 5

Thanks, Ozzy, tonight I had better things to do than building kits - I saw the Red Arrows for the first time live! Well there were various other performers too, but you just can't beat them. :oops::offtopic::sorry:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks, Ozzy, tonight I had better things to do than building kits - I saw the Red Arrows for the first time live! Well there were various other performers too, but you just can't beat them. :oops::offtopic::sorry:

Fantastic, I think we can let you off as the Red Arrows are pretty amazing live.:yahoo:

• 1 month later...

Two months since the last update, huh? Luckily the tragedy of Photobucket has destroyed all the evidence of where my builds stood in early June - see, there´s something positive in it too!

DSCN3362

So the four main assemblies are done and need just some paint, parts and decals. Here´s the Lichtblau painted with to-be-yellow areas masked off. What, just two planes with Ostfront- identification?

DSCN3364

Landing gear, head armour and canopies ready to be attached. The masking was done w/o precut- sets.

DSCN3365

3 props need yellow tips, they will be painted when I paint the fuselage bands etc.

DSCN3366

I will use the SBS Model decal set for insignia (and only that) of three planes; one will have AZmodel German insignia out of the box. V-P

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 3

The pics, as promised...

DSCN3367

A green Messerschmitt :huh: but at least with a replacement cowl in original scheme.

DSCN3369

Never trust a colourized b/w photo except it shows quite nicely the pattern and shape of the mottling.

DSCN3370

Lichtblau done, first layer of Grauviolet brushed on too.

DSCN3371

Added the head armours and while I had the Grauviolet tin open... Couldn´t resist adding some mottle. V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Thanks Ozzy! I believe you wouldn´t say that anymore... V-P

DSCN3372

Still the same response V-P,  but it his time nice 2 tone mottling.

:hmmm:

A swarm on a shelf

:thumbsup:

Not just because the quartet is now FINISHED! but also because of the way that pic was posted: I took a pic with my phone, uploaded it using Flickr mobile app and then copied the url to be posted above EDIT: using my phone to post  it here @ BM :end EDIT - and it worked! There's not only life after the Pb, there's a better life now!

Pics appear in the Gallery later but today :coolio: Best regards, V-P

• Like 3

Thanks for the extra week, Enzo, I hope I made good of it!

DSCN3391

Here´s a comparison pic of a German and a Finnish way to decorate tails...

DSCN3392

...and noses!

No more build pics, that was it. Thanks guys! V-P