1/32 Mistel I update 23-7-2017

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will build a Mistel I in 1/32 scale. I will use a Revell/Hasegawa Messerschmitt Bf-109 G2 as the leading airplane.

For the flying bomb I will use the Revell Junkers Ju-88 A4 kit with the Aims Mistel I conversion set.

I think I have some extra's for the Bf-109.

I will place some foto's later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

Hi guys,

I will build a Mistel I in 1/32 scale. I will use a Revell/Hasegawa Messerschmitt Bf-109 G2 as the leading airplane.

For the flying bomb I will use the Revell Junkers Ju-88 A4 kit with the Aims Mistel I conversion set.

I think I have some extra's for the Bf-109.

I will place some foto's later.

Cheers,

This is going to be a good watch,have you got a spare room to put it in when complete:D

Glynn

• Like 1

Thanxs guys for the confidence in me.:D I hope I can pull it of.

The most difficult part will be the mating of the two models.

On 29 april 2017 at 5:45 PM, Hewy said:

This is going to be a good watch,have you got a spare room to put it in when complete:D

Glynn

Yes, no problem. I have got a 91 square meters (270 square feet) model shed in the back of the garden. So I will manage.:coolio:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Here are some pictures of the models I will use and some goodies.

The donorkit for the Ju-88 is from Revell.

IMG_3960

With it's content

IMG_3966

For the Bf-109 I will be using a Revell Bf-109 G4/Trop. This was a reboxing of a Hasegawa kit.

I have lost the boxs a couple of moons ago, so here is a link to one. This one is from Momogram, but it's the same kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/193078-monogram-85-5981-messerschmitt-bf-109g-4-tropical

I have also got for this model a cockpitset from MDC and some exhausts from Quickboost. I have also got some earlier resin wheels and these were a left over from a Hasegawa kit.

Here are the instructions from the kit.

IMG_3962

and the content of the box.

IMG_3965

And here is the conversion set from AIMS (again Thanxs John). I won this last year with the Junkers Ju-88 Groupsbuild. take a look here for my build.

The complete set.

IMG_3964

And now only the nose cone. It is big!!!!!

IMG_3963

And finally the books I will be using as a refference.

IMG_3967

That is it for now. I hope to start it this Sunday.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Just thinking Arnold, is there any chance that this could be a nose sitter with that largelump of resin out front ?

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Alistair, my thoughts exactly! Good luck Arnold, you sure have a lot to do in three months but you'll make it 👍

Hi Guys, The nose is hollowed out, So it will be ok. But to be sure I will put some extra lead in the tail of the Ju-88.

3 months must be doable. The Ju-88 will be a fast build without the first 50 stages to do the cockpit.

Cheers,

• Like 1

WOW you do plan big Arnold!! I'm so glad to see one of these in the build, both of them will keep you really busy! Though it should be a fairly straight forward build.

I had planned to join in with AMG's new Bf-109B, but this trip started so late!

• Like 1

Thanx guys, 

I have made some progress today. Because there is no need for a cockpit in the Ju-88 this can go fast. 

Here are some pictures. O, I need to remember it will be big.

The first thing to do was to make the tailwheel parts. here a picture without and later painted with RLM02 from Tamiya over a coat of black.

IMG_3968

IMG_3969

Now that was finished I put the fuselage together with all the ribs etc.

IMG_3970

This was done in about 20 minutes. As it was taped I removed the front part for the war head. This was done on the line from the cockpit edge and front of the bulkhead. 

IMG_3971

Than I put some strips in the front to support the warhead.

IMG_3973

And I thinned down the inner lip of the warhead so the strips will fit. As you can also see the resin warhead is hollow. It is still heavy enough, so before I closed the fuselage earlier I placed some lead in the tail. 

IMG_3972

And Finally the warhead was matted to the fuselage. The fit was quite good. There are a few small gaps, but nothing really serious. 

IMG_3974

It is a big sucker, but looks good. Now it will be time to do the wings. 

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 10

Nice start Arnold, I didn't realise that it was a flying bomb. I always thought they were attached to a two engine aircraft for extra range.

• Like 1

Very nice start to an ambitious project. I've seen the 1/72 italeri kit and it was sizable. Your 1/32 version should be a real show stopper!

• Like 1

I have glued the wingtips to their own wing part. This gives me a better control to it and also a smooth wingtip to wing surface. I think there will be a small gap on the front and back, but that is easier to clean up later than to get the wingtips faired in. And another plus will be that all the detail will be preserved.

After this has dried I will glue the wings together and then it will be some time to clean up all the seams.

I have no pictures, but will do them later.

Cheers,

• Like 1

This evening I have glued the wings together. There are some small gaps, but nothing special to be concerned about.

Here are two pictures.

The wings still needed to be glued, but with the added wingtips.When glued the wingtips needed on some corners a bid of a swipe with the sanding stick. 

IMG_3975

And test fitted to the fuselage. 

IMG_3976

As you can see there is a gap, but that is more that it is a tight fit and I don't want to push it jet. I think I will swipe the bulkheads with a sanding stick to get a easier fit later.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 6

Dispite the size this looks like a easy , first time  conversion project for someone getting into the more unusuall . I think we can be sure that Revell wont issue this as a kit any year soon . (if they do i will build an eduard 1/48 bf110 in my underpants.)...:boom:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Dispite the size this looks like a easy , first time  conversion project for someone getting into the more unusuall . I think we can be sure that Revell wont issue this as a kit any year soon . (if they do i will build an eduard 1/48 bf110 in my underpants.)...:boom:

Well this was the easy part of the conversion.  The headbreaking will start with the trapese where the 109 needs to go on. 

You never know if Revell will bring one out. They did a Mistel a few years ago with the Ta-154. So....... I think you should go for some clean underpants. :fool::rofl: O and don't forget to get a Eduard 110. But I think you still have got a few in the stash, just like me. :whistle:

Cheers,

• Like 1

On ‎11‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 5:41 AM, SoftScience said:

Holy cow! That's going to be hunormous! :)

This has been very interesting to watch so far. I look forward to more.

Yep, If you take a closer look at the green mat, than you will notice it is a A2 cutting mat.

I will have to see if I can get it after the build in a glass cabinet or something else. Maybee I should get a plastic box for transport later in the year.

Cheers,