Mig-23MF Flogger-B Cuba 1990

Davek72

On 18/07/2017 at 6:18 PM, PlaStix said:

Wow! That is bright!! :coolio: Great looking cockpit too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix.  It is a very bright scheme but if you google Cuban Migs many seem to be in these colours.  Apologies for not quoting or crediting one of our forum colleagues who I came across last week who said it looked like they got a job lot from B&Q...

Dave

Edited by Davek72
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2017 at 7:55 PM, Vultures1 said:

That new blue looks more like it.  What did you use?

Apologies Vultures I'm away from home so will revert with the correct colours at the weekend.   It was Vallejo and I gauged it by eye but hey ho looks accurate to me...

20 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That is a really good quality brush-paint job. 

And I love the bright blue of Cuban MiGs. 

Cheers SS it was a fun colour to paint.  I may be expressing sacrilege here but sometimes brushes are just easier than getting the airbrush out (and in my case cocking up).

Dave

Dear all

I regret to announce the demise of this Mig-23.  I had finished the decals and applied a coat of gloss to seal everything in.  After a suitable drying time (so I thought) I applied an ink wash.  I have done this before and simply wipe the excess off.  Not sure what happened then but I must have left it for too long (about 2 mins I think).  When I looked back the wash had dried solid and would not wipe off.  My colourful Mig was now a patchy black/brown colour.  I tried gentle wiping with a damp cloth, soaking and a more vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush.  Some of the wash came off but so did the paint and the decals.   It is now a complete mess.  You live and learn.

Thank you to all those that have commented on the build and good luck to everyone else who has yet to finish.

Cheers

Dave

Ouch, sorry to hear about your mishap. Always disappointing and painful when something like that happens :(

But as you say, you learned from it. Sleep over it a couple of nights and things look better. There is still plenty of time to strip the paint and do it again. I love the Cuban camouflage, so don't give up.

Maybe the next time try an enamel or oil wash. I think they are much safer alternatives.

Cheers, Peter

On 23/07/2017 at 3:19 AM, Basilisk said:

Ouch, sorry to hear about your mishap. Always disappointing and painful when something like that happens :(

But as you say, you learned from it. Sleep over it a couple of nights and things look better. There is still plenty of time to strip the paint and do it again. I love the Cuban camouflage, so don't give up.

Maybe the next time try an enamel or oil wash. I think they are much safer alternatives.

Cheers, Peter

Cheers Peter.  

I think you are absolutely righ re enamel or oil washes. I will try that next time.  To be quite honest it's weathering which always seems to let me down.  

On on this one I have shelved it for now.   I could strip but I don't have any spare Cuban decals and to be quite honest I don't have the mojo at the moment.

😤

Thanks for for the comments.  

Dave

On 23/07/2017 at 8:44 AM, zebra said:

Sorry to hear that Dave. Will you be able to repaint it?

Hi Z

I think life may be too short!

😜

• Like 1

On 27/07/2017 at 5:58 PM, Davek72 said:

Cheers Peter.  

I think you are absolutely righ re enamel or oil washes. I will try that next time.  To be quite honest it's weathering which always seems to let me down. 

Convincing weathering is the hardest part in a build in my opinion and also something we all have different ideas about. I think less can be more, specially in smaller scales.

Great weathering is very time consuming as it can't be rushed. I believe the best result happen in slowly build up the weathering effects.

Would be great if you get back to your MiG-23 one day.

Cheers, Peter

On 30/07/2017 at 3:44 AM, Basilisk said:

Convincing weathering is the hardest part in a build in my opinion and also something we all have different ideas about. I think less can be more, specially in smaller scales.

Great weathering is very time consuming as it can't be rushed. I believe the best result happen in slowly build up the weathering effects.

Would be great if you get back to your MiG-23 one day.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter.  

It is certainly the aspect of modelling I find the most daunting and the aspect i seems to get wrong most often.  I suspect your less is more philosophy may be correct. 

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1