1/72 - Douglas DC-3, C-47D & C-48C Skytrain/Dakota by HobbyBoss - C-47D released - C-48C in 2023-2024

Homebee

I wouldn't say no to an cheaper and better kit. We all knew what happend to the Tamiya P-51D after Airfix gave out their new P-51D in 1/72. Nowdays one can get an Tamiya P-51D for the same price as the Airfix...

/André

• Like 1

On 2017-5-1 at 2:50 PM, cngaero said:

Do we really need another one?? 

Do we really need another Spitfire, Bf-109, FW-190, Mustang....never seems to stop the endless flow of these kits.

I hope this kit has finer detail than the Airfix kit and perhaps features some accurate surface detail - rivets for example.

• Like 2

Another vote for the Airliner version, although it's probably never going to happen

Interesting photo, the Port wing is so much smaller, are they planning the one off DC2 1/2

• Like 1

Good news. I have a couple of Italeri and Esci's and they still hold up well. The Airfix kit is nice but it is expensive and the panel lines are too trenchy compared to the older kits so I've never considered it a worthwhile upgrade. A proper modern tooling for a decent price would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

Just now, sroubos said:

Good news. I have a couple of Italeri and Esci's and they still hold up well. The Airfix kit is nice but it is expensive and the panel lines are too trenchy compared to the older kits so I've never considered it a worthwhile upgrade. A proper modern tooling for a decent price would be much appreciated.

Have you compared the Airfix kit to the Italeri?  The latter is easily more trenchy than the former although I take issue with the use of the word trench, because compared to a Matchbox kit, the Italeri is ditch-y rather than trenchy.

How do you know the Hobby Boss kit will be more reasonable?

Wait and see say I!

• Like 2

I don't know it will be better or cheaper, I'm just hoping it will be. I think the latter is pretty much a certainty knowing Hobbyboss pricing levels, no idea what the quality will be though of course.

As for the trenches, the Italeri is about the same as the Airfix I'd say, but the Esci is much better for sure. I just don't like the surface detail on these Airfix kits from a few years back, they are much better on their more recent kits I feel.

2 minutes ago, sroubos said:

I don't know it will be better or cheaper, I'm just hoping it will be. I think the latter is pretty much a certainty knowing Hobbyboss pricing levels, no idea what the quality will be though of course.

As for the trenches, the Italeri is about the same as the Airfix I'd say, but the Esci is much better for sure. I just don't like the surface detail on these Airfix kits from a few years back, they are much better on their more recent kits I feel.

I'd agree they're definitely improving.

From what I recall the Italeri kit has some shape errors (and those awful cowlings), the ESCI has much finer lines but if IIRC is underscale.  I've yeet to find the time to see what can be done with the Airfix kit but it definitely needs replacement engines, the lack of cooling gills just looks wrong!

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I think the Airfix kit is the best of the three, it's just hard to like for me when it sells for triple the price I pay for a 2nd hand Esci or Italeri kit - which I know will still build into nice models. I can't comment on the accuracy, although the Italeri does have weird props.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sroubos said:

Don't get me wrong, I think the Airfix kit is the best of the three, it's just hard to like for me when it sells for triple the price I pay for a 2nd hand Esci or Italeri kit - which I know will still build into nice models. I can't comment on the accuracy, although the Italeri does have weird props.

The price certainly makes a difference, I picked some up in the Airfix sale a couple of years back for about a tenner each.  The Italeri kit always looked a bit chubby to me and the cowlings are more appropriate to the post-war R-2000 powered aircraft.

Nice build Gavingav,

It's just the deep panel lines and complete lack of any surface detail (typical of all current Airfix efforts) that I have an issue with.

The thing with the DC-3 is the very obvious raised rivets and agricultural appearance of the aircraft. Now if Hobby Boss use their usual style of surface detail it'll be very nice and neat with fine panel lines but they favour recessed styles of riveting which will kind of look right but won't capture the tangible appearance of the raised type. But, who knows they may opt for raised style, only time will tell. Looking forward to seeing it.

Jeff 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Nice build Gavingav,

It's just the deep panel lines and complete lack of any surface detail (typical of all current Airfix efforts) that I have an issue with.

Thank you !! , That's the issue that completely put me off the airfix Shackleton, it was known as  40,000 rivets flying in formation not a blank aircraft with engraved panel lines and blank surfaces, the revell kit looks much more the part, same with the b-17g, the revell detail may be a bit heavy but i can work that the airfix looks a bit blank again, it seems airfix's designers are using the same surface detail for nearly all aircraft regardless of the real features , i say nearly all because they got the gun trough texturing right on the meteor and the layered panel effect on the 24th typhoon  .

Edited by gavingav1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, gavingav said:

Thank you !! , That's the issue that completely put me off the airfix Shackleton, it was known as  40,000 rivets flying in formation not a blank aircraft with engraved panel lines and blank surfaces, the revell kit looks much more the part, same with the b-17g, the revell detail may be a bit heavy but i can work that the airfix looks a bit blank again, it seems airfix's designers are using the same surface detail for nearly all aircraft regardless of the real features , i say nearly all because they got the gun trough texturing right on the meteor and the layered panel effect on the 24th typhoon  .

OK but you don't see the rivets on the real AC unless you're getting really close.

A 1/72 scale rivet has around 0.15 mm in diameter, imagine this .. to speak for me I don't want details that are much too big only for the sake of a falsel sense of accuracy

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, occa said:

OK but you don't see the rivets on the real AC unless you're getting really close.

A 1/72 scale rivet has around  0.12mm in diameter, imagine this .. to speak for me I don't want details that are much too big only for the sake of a falsel sense of accuracy

Likewise, real rivets aren't a depression in the skin unless they're pulled skins where the airframe has been overstressed.  In the case of the C-47 they were domed rivets.

It's funny how Airfix used to get criticised back in the day for their representation of raised rivets...

• Like 5