1/72 - Douglas DC-3, C-47D & C-48C Skytrain/Dakota by HobbyBoss - C-47D released - C-48C in 2023-2024

Homebee

• 3 months later...

From what I can see from the CAD is the starboard wing aileron lacks the trim tab which Airfix also missed. Easy to rectify, but should not have been missed. For me, I am quite happy with the current Airfix one.

The German site review linked by Modelldoc suggests it's a great kit but not sufficiently a big a jump over the Airfix kit to warrant its 45 price tag (unless I'm reading it wrong - my German FWIW is very ropey and was never that good in the first place, detachments to RAFG were never really about improving any language skills).

18 hours ago, gkougkos said:

Does it have adequate riveting?

I can't tell from the german site's fuselage photos...

It has adequate riveting, i have seen it in the flesh ..

Aileron details are way to heavy and wrong, the Airfix ones are more to the real thing!!

The rudder detailing is doubtfull just like the ailerons, the wheels are of the typical chinese license built C47s

The fuselage interior datailing inside is something that maybe resembles the chinese aircraft!!

As for the shape of the cowlings i can say one thing they look like the 1/48 trumpeter ones so they need replacement!!

There is also only one type of carbarateur intake and they are the long ones, if you like to change this to short ones it takes a fair amount of work..

So these are in my eyes the negatives and will buy for my money a Airfix one.

It is a pity that they didn't do multiple versions as i do like the ease of construction and espacially with the cockpit section that is a one piece single glass with the uppersection instrument panel and escape hatch included.

At my Lhs this kit cost you 42,50 in euro's and that is a lot of money for an aircraft that needs a lot of corrections!!!

I have build the three differend Dakota's from Italeri, Esci, and Airfix...

The Italeri ones are simply not a very accurate Dakota but do look okay when properly build and they are easy to built..

The Esci ones where in extra options the best but where underscaled and i experienced a lot of warped fuselages with those i bought..

The best in fuselage shape (shape around the cockpit section which one that isn't easely noticeable) are the Airfix ones and they built into a perfect Dakota shapewise and if you test fit enough they also need i minor amount of putty and are the best i have ever build. (They do miss some detaills like the escapehatch above the cockpit)

17 hours ago, Wez said:

The German site review linked by Modelldoc suggests it's a great kit but not sufficiently a big a jump over the Airfix kit to warrant its 45 price tag (unless I'm reading it wrong - my German FWIW is very ropey and was never that good in the first place, detachments to RAFG were never really about improving any language skills).

In the Netherlands these can be bought for a 42,50 in Euro's wich is a steep price for it i think!!

I hope this info helps!!

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

It looks like  that the top of the fin and rudder are far too rounded!!!(Reminiscent of the 1/144 Minicraft kit) And the tailplane tips including the elevator also far too rounded. The wing tips are suspect too. A bit too much forward sweeping curve to the trailing edge of the ailerons; and that trim tab IS missing from the starboard wing as suspected. The underside centre section detail where those ribs are, look too pronounced and the rivets more like Clydeside bolts!  Inside detail looks nice but is it accurate and the same ole issue with that is... you can't see it after build.

And, am I right in saying that the pics shown illustrated with red squares, the fuselage windows are all in the wrong position!!!!!

Nah, not even going to think about it. Will stick to the Airfix ones thanks. I have another build to do in the new year.

( regarding the cockpit escape hatch, on my recent build, G-AMPY(2), I scribed in the hatch ..easy enough!)

• Like 1

I agree, Airfix looks like the better bet, especially as they are around for less than £20 now. I built one the other year and despite the usual very fine tolerance issues it built up very well - and the slightly bonkers wing fillet idea which sort of works but doesnt 'alf look scary before you try it!

• 1 year later...

I have found a great in-box review (albeit in Chinese), comparing Italeri, new-tool Airfix, and the Hobby Boss molds.

All opinions are welvome.

http://www.moxing.net/2018/1110/9574.html

IMHO, the HB kit does have much finer panel lines than the Airfix, but suffers from inaccurate engine cowling shape, over-stated detail on the ailerons, and metal (?) vertical rudder (probably a feature of the version used in Chinese AF, much like the wheels).

Aleksandar

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Douglas DC-3, C-47D & C-48C Skytrain/Dakota by HobbyBoss - C-47D released - C-48C in 2023-2024