F-5A in 1/72?

RidgeRunner

No contest : Esci by several country miles. Also boxed by Revell ca. 1986, mould now owned by Italeri. 

The older ones could be worked with  (Airfix, Hasegawa, probably even MB), but the Airfix mould seems to be thoroughly shot, Adrian had a filler fest with one  some time ago. 

Edited by tempestfan
### autocorrect
  • Like 1

Yep another vote for the ESCI kit or its Revell/Italeri reissues.

True Details released a resin version of the early ejection seat but apart from that there's a real dearth of after market stuff for this kit, I made one years ago using the Eduard etched set for the Italeri F-5E but other than that's there's not a lot.

The very distinctive canopy hinge mechanism could do with some help.

• Like 1

And yet another vote for the Esci F-5A family or it's many incarnations according to Scalemates - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/122126-esci-9032-freedom-fighter-f-5a

Wolfpack re-released a number of these a short while ago, however you (hopefully) should find some of the older boxes at various swap meets.

They do appear on eBay etc. however can fetch a pricely some at times.

Cheers.. Dave  

Hello

ESCI, along with its Italeri reincarnations, of course. The same goes for F-5 B in 1/72. There was also a Skoshi Tiger (RF-5 A) re-boxing and IIRC ESCI's F-5 A kits also included refueling probe, so one only needed proper decals for OOB F-5 C build. Cheers

Jure

What they said! I have all the Esci boxings and they are very, very nice kits! Haven't built one yet, but seem to recall some discussion when the kits came out about the size/shape of the wingtip tanks, and IIRC some aftermarket firm used to make resin replacements, but I can't recall who. Maybe someone will come along to address this issue.

Mike

ESCI/Italeri early F-5s are beautiful little kits. Cockpit detail is a little lacking, but after installing a replacement resin seat and attaching the canopy, you won't see much anyway.

I think the Skoshi Tiger boxing is the most versatile for single seaters as it gives the parts for all single seaters, A, CF/NF, C and RF. No idea if Italeri issued the kit with all those options. Anyway, surface detail and undercarriage are rather exquisite, especially considering the kit is something like 35 years old now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I think the Skoshi Tiger boxing is the most versatile for single seaters as it gives the parts for all single seaters, A, CF/NF, C and RF. No idea if Italeri issued the kit with all those options. Anyway, surface detail and undercarriage are rather exquisite, especially considering the kit is something like 35 years old now. 

The Italeri rebox included all parts - standard and recce nose, both types of AAR probe...

Cheers,

Andre

Can't remember the wingtip tanks, but there's sure something wrong when fitting the tanks on the wing pylons as these seriously interfere with the wheel well doors. I'd have to check if the tanks are too big in section or the pylons are in the wrong position.

Apart from the tanks, the only thing that the Esci kit really need is a good cockpit as the original is very bare, with decals only. The cockpit of the B also lacks the bulkhead between front and rear seats. Speaking of seats, the F-5 series seats at some point received a differently shaped parachute box, Esci and Cutting Edge both represent the early version, for the later version the modeller has to sort the detail.

The engine exhausts may also do with some work as they are very shallow, but apart from these small things it's a great kit.

Speaking of the F-5C, it's true that parts like the IFR probe are included in the Italeri rebox and in some of the Esci boxes, however none includes the additional armour that this variant carried. Nothing that can't be sorted with some plasticard of course

• Like 2