Castle Bromwich Mkii Part 1

Hi all this is the first half of my current WIP project consisting of a, Mk XIX, XXII, Ia, IIa, Vb (X3), Vc and IX...... a lot to bite off!

WIP is Here

first up is the Mkia and iia, these were made due to one of my colleges telling me about her grandfarther in law who flew them, Sgt Howard Squire. after finding out I built aircraft she asked if could build KL-A that he crashed into Al Deere and was rebuilt after being found in a river bed. So i decided why not build the other aircraft he crashed in France KL-E. a massive thank you to @Beefy whose help tracking down info on KL-E was so appreciated and invaluable! thanks Mate. anyway more info is on the WIP... and here they are.

Mkia:

33514888743_02cdb17cfc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33941187010_e672c4a3a3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33483407944_2ce0f350b9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284204866_193468fc12_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194281781_8764c84989_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34167034612_cefa722d68_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

This is the standard Airfix kit.

Mkiia:

34167034162_18ad90973f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284167796_a6d7c40b0f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194259481_e2ffca5092_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33941158120_10af7c72f6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33941158190_dd86774b9c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this was the revell kit, interior detail is nice, but the shape wheel wells and radiators are all poor, i would recomend you buy the arfix Mkiia boxing, which i stole a number of bits off.... oh well it was worth finding out.

both kits were taken to the family of Howard squire today and they appeared really pleased with them!

next up are the two later marks.

Mk XIX:

built completely out of the Airfix box.

34194259471_8920cdb1ac_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34167035562_669660e304_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34194194921_5b77c894b7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34325063415_2d3b175ec2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

an OK kit, but lacking detail in comparision to other Airfix releases that followed which is a shame!

Mk XXII:

Again Airfix OOB, this kit is well worth the few quid is costs (I managed to pick one up from home bargains for £3.99 which makes it even more worth it)

34166993772_13501946e8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34166996712_fa3215f04d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284129836_bfcc2b42ec_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34284129926_59e6bc9a99_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33941115710_54c217ea72_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34325063365_66ee952ff5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

on to Part 2 which will be very much Malta based!

All the above were painted using paint brushes with Tamiya and Humbrol paints, weathered with pastel and finished with N&W matt and gloss varnish to make a satin.

hope you like them!

Rob

• Like 18

That's a very nice of Spitfires you have there, Rob :clap::clap: I enjoyed the WIP thread so far too, and loking forward to part two :popcorn:

I think my favourite so far is the mk.XXII; also, good to know the two early marks pleased the Squire family :thumbsup2:

Ciao

• Like 1

Super Spitfire's there Rob. I particularly like the MK 22. Like you I picked up a couple at Home bargains so I plan 1in camo and 1 in NMF.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Just now, almac said:

Super Spitfire's there Rob. I particularly like the MK 22. Like you I picked up a couple at Home bargains so I plan 1in camo and 1 in NMF.

Cheers Allan

Cheers Allan, it was a hard choice between the two schemes but I just love the camo race scheme.... I think it's the big 4 on it...

cheers for the comments giemme, glad you like them mate!!

Rob

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, rob85 said:

Mk XXII:

Again Airfix OOB, this kit is well worth the few quid is costs (I managed to pick one up from home bargains for £3.99 which makes it even more worth it)

Rob,

You were robbed (pun intended?).  HB only charged £2.99 for the Airfix Spits round here!  Needless to say I ended up with several Vb, XIX and 22s, but there were no IXs in these parts.

A lovely set of models.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Rob,

You were robbed (pun intended?).  HB only charged £2.99 for the Airfix Spits round here!  Needless to say I ended up with several Vb, XIX and 22s, but there were no IXs in these parts.

A lovely set of models.

Cheers

Will

Dam it! Actually it could have been less, I did go on a bit of a spree... mk xxii, xix, vb, dauntless, hurricane mki, vampire and a mustang if memory serves... no mk ix's round by me either otherwise I would have nabbed them too.

Rob

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Rob,

A lovely set of models.

Cheers

Will

28 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Dam it! Actually it could have been less, I did go on a bit of a spree... mk xxii, xix, vb, dauntless, hurricane mki, vampire and a mustang if memory serves... no mk ix's round by me either otherwise I would have nabbed them too.

Rob

My local Home Bargains only had Fw190s, fountains, landing craft and Cromwells; no, repeat no, Spitfires whatsoever.

• Like 1

Fantastic project Rob, and what a way to honour your co-worker's family - I'm glad they liked the Mk I and II.

Your brush painting skills just get better and better, the MK XIX is exceptionally smooth while I'm a bit partial towards the 22 like everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

My local Home Bargains only had Fw190s, fountains, landing craft and Cromwells; no, repeat no, Spitfires whatsoever.

That's a bitter pill to swallow... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic project Rob, and what a way to honour your co-worker's family - I'm glad they liked the Mk I and II.

Your brush painting skills just get better and better, the MK XIX is exceptionally smooth while I'm a bit partial towards the 22 like everyone else.

Thanks cookie, that means a lot! I really hope it is getting better as I try to improve with every build. 

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great set of Spitfires Rob, good work.

I wish I could bras gaping that well...

Thanks Ced but what is 'bras gaping' sounds like it could be great fun!

Rob 

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

That's a bitter pill to swallow... 

On the upside, I did get some for a fellow Britmodeller whose town isn't blessed with a Home Bargains.

• Like 1