Kitty Hawk1/48 SU-17

DDELK

Hi all,

I was watching the video review of the KHSU-17 and if anyone else has seen it on YouTube, you know that it wasn't very pleasant. I like to be my own judge of a kit, but was curious if anyone has or is currently building one. It does look like KittyHawk was lazy on a few areas but I'm not a rivet counter either. The detail looks great. I've built the KP fitter and although it was a pain in butt, it came out looking very nice.. 

thanks

dave

Edited by DDELK

I'm starting mine tomorrow as part of the From Russia With Love group build on the forum, I've seen the review you're talking about and it did put me off the kit, although I did also question some of the chaps building methods. I then saw Spencer Pollards build review on you tube and this changed my mind. The detail in the kit is pretty eye catching, it even has full size cannons to be fitted into the wing roots!

Follow my build to see how it goes together!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020423-148-kitty-hawk-sukhoi-su-17-fitter/

Muzz

• Like 1

Will watch out for your build for sure. Is really true that KH didn't even bother to add the intake spliter? 

I would love to do a WIP but I can't seem to figure out how to download photos from my iPhone(FLICKER).. 

Dave

Yes, they give you a full engine and cannons and miss out a part that's in full view at the front of the kit! I have an AM part on order from HAD Models to fix this problem, there is already a few companies who have announced that there releasing AM for the kit. 

Have a look at Spencer Pollards builds on YouTube, there worth a look.

I've got a good friend doing it in Germany and it looks fine. Great detail too. It seems like everyone wants perfection these days but if you use some common sense and intelligence, it goes together very well.

Andy

11 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I've got a good friend doing it in Germany and it looks fine. Great detail too. It seems like everyone wants perfection these days but if you use some common sense and intelligence, it goes together very well.

Andy

Details are fine, but when fix bugs disappear.I worked with Su-22M-4K and UM-3K and  remember ...

It's OK?

http://IMG_6281_zpstu2kforn.jpg

http://IMG_6211_zpscbzcxqfx.jpg

http://IMG_6205_zpsutvz0bpy.jpg

http://IMG_6181_zpsrtyc3ds0.jpg

http://IMG_6223_zpsdm2lq6lm.jpg

http://IMG_6204_zpsqhjkj7ih.jpg

http://IMG_6283_zpsrphmr3qs.jpg

• Like 1

For that kind of money you shouldn't have to be filling in sink marks on launch rails etc. not to mention they didn't even bother putting intake spitter on the kit.. I know all kits have issues, but I think the reviews were correct when they say KH flat out was lazy on certain parts of this kit. I think I will build one anyways so that a may judge it for my self..

dave🇺🇸

• Like 1

23 hours ago, harvy5 said:

Wait to Hobby Boss! This model is terrible and has a lot of bugs.

Are you saying the Hobby Bogus kit is going to be better than the Kitty Hawk one?

That would be an earth-shattering momentous occasion, which I won't live long enough to see, IMHO:whistle:

Larry

53 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Are you saying the Hobby Bogus kit is going to be better than the Kitty Hawk one?

It can not be worse than KH.I can not do wings in landing position, only to take-off, but it's not a problem.Fuselage has the right shape and details look at the same level.
Now I build it together with KP, and I'm crying ..
  :wall:

2 hours ago, harvy5 said:

It can not be worse than KH.I can not do wings in landing position, only to take-off, but it's not a problem.Fuselage has the right shape and details look at the same level.
Now I build it together with KP, and I'm crying ..
  :wall:

Hi harvy!

I hope you are right... 

I understand your frustration, 

but have a look at the front windscreen / canopy,. on how it wraps around the fuselage istead of sitting just on top as with earlier series Fitters (Su-7 and Su-17 without the the looks down nose (caused by the installation of the Laser range finder?? you surely know better than me!))... it is really wrong in the KP kit, but looks much better in the KH one....

the Hobby Boss Fitter has yet t be seen in plastic!!

Edited by exdraken

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi harvy!

I hope you are right... 

I understand your frustration, 

but have a look at the front windscreen / canopy,. on how it wraps around the fuselage istead of sitting just on top as with earlier series Fitters (Su-7 and Su-17 without the the looks down nose (caused by the installation of the Laser range finder?? you surely know better than me!))... it is really wrong in the KP kit, but looks much better in the KH one....

the Hobby Boss Fitter has yet t be seen in plastic!!

You are right,but I believe from now will be a good aftermarket canopy

• Like 1

If you build the kit using a small portion of your brain it goes together quite well.

Anyone basing an opinion on the way the kit was built in that video which was clearly to gather clicks and stir up controversey would be better off drinking paint thinner.

Does anyone anywhere build any model exactly according to instructions?

Rule 1 of modelling is instructions are a guide not a straightjacket. Hence reviewer A builds kit according to instructions not common sense and standard modelling practice.

Hence it doesnt fit so of course its all Kittyhawks fault.

If he had simply done a build assembling the fuselage halves from there seperate pieces as "anyone" with a modicum of modelling experience would do he would of found it goes together quite well...geez what a surprise...

Instead he ripped KH a new one because he checked in any semblence of intelligence/common sense/modelling experience in prior to building it.

Looked to me like he was out to score cheap points and clicks not build the kit as he would if he where building it for himself.

Poor reviewing at best and an opportunity lost to show people a great technique that saves plenty of heartache in MANY kits including many Hasegawa kits.

instead he just took the cheap shot.

Edited by DarrenH
Spelling..
  • Like 1

I would have to agree with you somewhat,, at the same time though, KH did leave out some simple fixes that could have have been easily corrected. Your right in saying that instructions are more of s guideline to experienced modellers. I do believe he took a cheap shot at KH in the video but I'm sorry to say that he was correct about some of the issues with the kit. I'm going to purchase it anyhow and be the judge for myself..

dave

Agree Dave the kit is not perfect and could be improved.

However its fsr better than his review rated it and completely superior in every way to the old OEZ kit.

its just a pity modelling has now descended to having reviews put together not to asses the kit but to garner attention in the worst possible style.

And then people believe the garbage...

Some people will believe anything.. on that note, I see the Hobby Bosx kit for sale on eBay and now I'm curious about that one. I don't see any reviews but I'm sure that's because it's new.. I'm still going to purchase the KH and give it a go

On 09/05/2017 at 10:21 PM, pommie commie said:

Looking at the surface detail, I'd say it's about the same as the OEZ one........

If your suggesting that the surface detail on the Kitty Hawk kit is similar to the Kopro kit (I don't believe OEZ ever released the Su-17/22, an Su-7 yes) then I'm afraid that's just not the case. I don't have the Hobby Boss kit but I'd be very, very surprised if the surface detail on that was also about the same as a 20 odd year old kit!

Muzz

16 hours ago, iaf-man said:

Obviously, he's not very familiar with Su-17 family.He forgot too long engine  and ...

And this is the best joke "Of course you'll also have to decide if you're doing the Su-17M3, Su-17M4, or even an Su-22M3 out of this kit. Remember that you cannot do the Su-22M4 as the rear fuselage has a larger cross-section to house the R-29B engine." Su-22 is an export label Su-17 :lol:Only some Su-17 / 22M-3 were built with the R-29 engine. All Su-17 / 22M-4 had an Al-21 engine.