Amodel 1/72 - Ilyushin IL-20M

Radleigh

How can I resist a Russian GB!

Just a quick 'get up' post as I'm off out shortly...  but my build is a Amodel IL-20M. It's not been started, these kits are fibreglass fuselage and wing section, so I've just placed it together for the photo. I will get more later on when I'm back.

I am going to build this as a modern IL-20M, RF-95980.

img_9575.jpg

img_9577.jpg

and the beast from the East.. (Original Link - http://russianplanes.net/id154372 )

154372.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

How big will the ilyushin kit turn out to be radleigh its a nice looking aircraft

Glynn

The kit as you see it in the photo is 20" wide and 18" long, so a tiny bit bigger than that once the wingtips are on etc!

I got the cockpit all glued together last night, so will hopefully put some paint on tonight. I'm not going mad on the interior as you don't see a thing, but some colour will be better than nothing.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, pdsvidioman said:

This looks good. I've always wanted to do this kit but the price put me off. I'll follow this build with interest.

You can get one in 1/144th from Eastern Express, but obviously won't be as detailed. This is worth the money all day long (for me anyway). Can't wait to get this one finished.

Excellent choice Radleigh, looking forward to this.

I'd like to build one of these but the cost, thanks to the fibreglass parts, puts me off. It's interesting that the Il-18 kit has a fibreglass fuselage whilst the Amodel Tu-134 (which is a larger, or at least longer, airframe) is injection moulded. Perhaps this just reflects advances in Amodel's injection moulding capability since the Il-18 was produced. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a slow start... work and life are busy at the moment. I haven't announced it on here but September I'm going to be a dad...

Managed to get the nose on, and for something that looks easy it certainly wasn't. Big gaps remain, I tried several ways and I just couldn't get it sitting right. It's almost like the plastic parts are too small.... Done now though, will sort the gaps a bit later on. There is also a brace inside the cockpit to stop the parts from collapsing when gluing together, this will be cut and sanded as much as possible to make way for the seats. Wings pushed on for photo..

33786273544_3062d24e0f_b.jpg

34467199372_d6d099b128_b.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Bit of a slow start... work and life are busy at the moment. I haven't announced it on here but September I'm going to be a dad...

Congratulation - it will be a life changer! I am 20 and 16 years into the experience and it was (so far) a great journey.

19 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Managed to get the nose on, and for something that looks easy it certainly wasn't. Big gaps remain, I tried several ways and I just couldn't get it sitting right. It's almost like the plastic parts are too small.... Done now though, will sort the gaps a bit later on. There is also a brace inside the cockpit to stop the parts from collapsing when gluing together, this will be cut and sanded as much as possible to make way for the seats. Wings pushed on for photo..

I haven't seen an amodel kit which looked easy to build :huh: I admire the people who having a go at them, but so far I wasn't game enough.

Looks like you got it all under control at the end as the parts do look aligned nicely.

Cheers, Peter