Airfix Skyraider - Resuming work after about 20 years

• 1 month later...

That prop! Blimey!

Loving this - just moved house myself so been off-line a bit lately; any progress recently?

ATB
Rick

On 4/28/2017 at 0:32 AM, Possibly Apocryphal said:

It's a while since I've done any serious work on historical model subjects.  For the past decade or so I've concentrated mainly on wargame figures, but my interests tend to go in circles (or perhaps downward spirals), and I'm redirecting my focus back to aircraft.  Up until the mid to late 90s, my scale of choice was 1:72, but then I switched to 1:48, and I embraced all the aftermarket stuff with as much enthusiasm as anyone, but I do miss the days before then, when all your extra detail had to be scratchbuilt.  So I've dusted off (literally - it was covered in it!) an Airfix 1:72 Skyraider that I put quite a bit of effort into back in the day, but never finished.  Here it is as it now, having waited patiently for so long for work to resume. It seems the rudder has gone AWOL, so i'll need to scratchbuild a new one.  That's probably where I'll start, then detail and mount the engine.  Still a lot to do, but I'm looking forward to it!

Possibly Apocryphal, despite being at opposite ends of the globe, I did remarkably similar work on my Airfix Skyraider! I think I was 15 years of age when I started it, and I spent years fiddling with it. The inspiration came from a Modeldecal sheet, that my local hobby shop sold. For a long time I used its tiny drawings as a guide for the modifications. I stopped working on it when I held a test-shot of the Hasegawa Skyraider in my hands, Scalemates says it issued 1996, so maybe it was 1995. A couple of years ago, after it rested in a box for many years, I airbrushed the model in a neutral grey to judge its build quality. More photos and details here: 

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/a1h.htm

Rob

a1h-03.jpg

a1h-07.jpg

• Like 8

Great work and it is a joy to see such an old kit being reworked with such skill and passion.  I have 2 of these in the stash and was only looking at them last week to see just how much work and effort would be required to bring it up to a decent standard.  I will be following this with a big smile on my face!

Phil

Superb workmanship.  Especially well done on the prop.  I once reshaped a Revell Hurricane prop into something a little more Hurricane-shaped: that was bad enough with just 3 blades to get identical. 

This is excellent stuff - it might have been dusty, but I'd say your original work was of a pretty high standard, which doesn't half help.

That Airfix propellor..... Oh. Emm. Gee.

You definitely have my attention.  

Airfix appears to have used Douglas-produced display-model drawings for their Skyraider. As a result, among other things, they incorporated the cant of the vertical fin to the left, which is correct. Unfortunately, the Douglas drawings also led them astray with respect to the accuracy of the prop (ugh) and the canopy (too small),

• 3 weeks later...