Nitto's "Fledermaus".......The Build

To quiet the ceaseless clamoring, I have opted to start a WIP of the Nitto Fledermaus.  It arrived today, and after wading through the packaging, I reached my goal.

1_zpsyprclpaj.jpg

A brisk inventory of the contents reassured me that the model was in its entirety, consisting of a decal sheet, 4 sprues, a baggie of springs, wires, and various meshes.  I then photographed the instruction sheet, negating the possibility that the dog might eat my homework said instructions.

I removed the plastic bags, then washed the parts in a warm soapy water solution, followed by allowing them to air-dry.  Avoid using lacquer thinner, as this will turn the plastic into a stinking gob of slime.

I removed the major pieces from their sprues and using an exacto knife and emery boards, eliminated any burrs.

Next on the agenda is to prime the several parts.  I’m going to use Tamiya rattle-can primer, because other model primers haven’t the tooth, and automotive primers are too coarse.

2_zpsivajfnuo.jpg

There will be a brief hiatus on the project, I ordered seat belts from Eduard, so the cockpit area can’t be painted. I am going to pre-paint engine parts in the meantime.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

So what is is made of? Saturn engines, Cylon Raider, some radial fronts,...

That's part of the fun of the Ma.k kits.

I wasn't clamouring, honestly. Well, maybe a little.

:popcorn:

I painted the interior a medium green, ala zinc chromate, took the instrument panel and drilled and carved an opening for the radar screen.  I am considering installing a mini-led behind it.  I also drilled out the cannon, to create a more realistic barrel, not realizing that the nose cone has the two cannon barrels molded into it.  I am going to drill those out, and replace them with mine.

4_zpsqa9wudip.jpg

3_zpsxn9p160s.jpg

Part of the fun? of the build is to figure out which part goes where, and why there are so many unused parts.  I sprayed the back side of the two-piece wing structure flat black, and will have to create a barrier so the casual viewer can’t look through the intakes and see daylight.

• Like 4

I like the sound of an open canopy.

And as for unused parts, Ma.k kits always share a lot of same sprues (especially the suits) so i imagine this shares a lot with the Hornisse which would also contain unused bits and I'm sure the engine bell sprue will be from the Luna Gans or vice versa.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Here are the main engine and thruster nozzles, prior to drybrushing.  I painted the cones steel, and the uppers flat black.  Then I sprayed Testor’s “exhaust” lightly on the cones.

5_zpse4frtjxs.jpg

Following that, I started the pre-shading of the upper fuselage.

6_zpsg2hitkyj.jpg
  • Like 4

I sprayed the top of the fuselage/wings with Testors acrylic "Euro Grey", allowing it to dry for some hours.  I followed with the yellow stripes on the wings, and once dry, a coat of clear gloss.  Unfortunately, my masking tape pulled a couple of spots of the grey, small enough that I can touch them up.  This morning I added the decals..........heaven knows how old they are, because they didn't want to separate from the backing.  I used Micro Set on them.  I scavenged some telephone wire from my toolbox, and I am going to run it down the nose strut, and through the ski, then feed it into the base (which I have not designed yet), where the batteries and on/off switch will reside. Tomorrow I will start on the hard-core weathering.

7_zpsd5q9qsi0.jpg

• Like 5

The pilot figure arrived yesterday, except that it wasn't the figure I'd ordered.........in fact the package contained 3 figures, none of which was appropriate........heads will roll.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goofyfoot said:

Sorry for the delay in posting.......preparations for an upcoming wedding are intruding on my free time........had to rebuild a deck, put pavers down for a patio, etc...etc.

This model has a patio? Gosh!

The RAF seatbelts from Eduard still haven't arrived.......I ordered them on April 26.  I think that dutch freight company they use still employ fluyts.  I drybrushed the off-black undersurface of the aircraft, and did a little panel outlining.  I have no idea what colors the Wehrmacht used for C-stoff and T-stoff, so I chose red and yellow. This is based on the theory that they continued to employ these fuels.

9_zpswfsznrk0.jpg

I install the thruster cones and their engines, added a little more blocking to avoid light leaks, and assembled the two halves of the wing.

8_zpsigunovwi.jpg

More to come over the weekend.

• Like 3

Spent the day assembling the forward fuselage, trapping the front skid between the halves, and wiring for the radar screen.  The lower windows appear to be translucent, but once the fuselage is installed into the wings will be opaque.

10_zpsrgegk3r6.jpg

• Like 1