A pair of dirty drab American birds

Yet more from what I laughingly call "my portfolio" or even more pretentiously "mes oeuvres" are these two American aircraft in Olive Drab.  Unfortunately in the clean up Fairy liquid seems to have washed away some of the OD enamel!!!!!!! and left dusty lumps that won't come off.

First up is Don Gentile's Shangri-La from the HobbyBoss easy kit.  Well I needed something easy for one of our one-day build days. Actually its not a bad kit and assembled nicely and quickly.  The only point of interest is the spinner colour - I took along an Osprey book about Mustangs (yes, researching during the 7.5hour available build time) and found the spinner was white on the cover painting and definitely not white in a photo inside.  As you will see I hadn't realised how dark "Neutral Gray" is supposed to be when I built this.

20170422_110158

20170422_110215

The second plane is a Hasegawa Thunderbolt.  I can only say it was alright.  Not sure if it was the kit or I just didn't get really into it, this kit doesn't have the excuse of a one-day build.  The stiff, fragile decals didn't go down well and seem to have been adversely affected by the clean-up even though all my planes get Kleared and matt varnished.  The decals have also now decided to silver after several years of being fine!

20170422_110329

20170422_110353

20170422_110414

Cheers

Will

• Like 11

Couple of nice builds Malpaso. I prefer the Mustang and it's also nice to see both subjects in a different finish to the usual natural metal.

They both look damn good as far as I am concerned.

What do you clean them with? You may be using something a bit too aggressive?

Well done

JR

Both lovely models Will. On the spinner of Shangri-la, photos take on/around 8 April 1944 show the front section in white. By the time the aircraft was written off on 13 April, photos taken that day show that the white portion of the spinner had been repainted red, and a few more black crosses had been added to the scoreboard under the cockpit. So your model is spot on for that earlier date.

Justin

• Like 1