MIG-19PM - 1/144 FINISHED!

Thought I'd jump in with this. It's the Mark1 Models 1/144 MIG-19PM. Think this was released previously by a different company but not sure who. Comes with a resin cockpit and some PE and is bloomin' tiny! In theory this will be a pretty quick build as there's not much to it. No Soviet markings, of the four options you can have it any colour as long as it's silver! So will probably go with Polish. 

Cheers

mig19-1_zpsmidfjaay.jpg

mig19-2_zpsb58ino3o.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 6

Another great choice and a new type in this GB. They called it the Widowmaker and wild horse in Pakistan (The Shenyang F-6 that is) as it was apparently a handful to handle with dire consequences.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Another great choice and a new type in this GB. They called it the Widowmaker and wild horse in Pakistan (The Shenyang F-6 that is) as it was apparently a handful to handle with dire consequences.

Cheers, Peter

Nice! Hopefully this one wont be too hard to handle!

Very nice there. I'll be keeping an eye on this build as I'm looking to get this set too. :) I'll be hopefully joining in with some 1/144 goodies, thinking the Eduard MiG-15 to start with.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Very nice there. I'll be keeping an eye on this build as I'm looking to get this set too. :) I'll be hopefully joining in with some 1/144 goodies, thinking the Eduard MiG-15 to start with.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Nice one. I do like the look of the Eduard MiGs in 1/144. Both the 15 and 21 look tempting. 

• Like 1

Little bit of time to start this one this weekend. Mainly just cleaning up parts and test fitting, seems to go together alright. 

Reamed the intake out a bit with a small engraver tool on my dremel as they are a little shallow. I've given it a bit more depth

mig19-4_zpso9dnbyhk.jpg

I think most of my photos are going to be slightly blurry as using an iPhone and they are not great at super close up on tiny things. I have a big DSLR but it's on the fritz and I'm loath to go to a camera repair place as they never seem to be very good! May have to bite the bullet or save up for a new camera. 

The cockpit is a one piece resin tub with 6 bits of PE to add to it; 4 seat belts, handle on top of seat and control panel. Here's the PE fret with one dodgy finger for scale! You'll have to trust me when I say there's seat belts and control panel in the righthand picture as they are all but invisible! 

mig19-3_zpsrd5jzbil.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

Looking good there Misterfriend! The cockpit has come up a treat hasn't it? I've painted many cockpits that size so I feel your pain. I looked at the L-39 last night, decided against it.  Quite interested in how you tackle the wing stakes, the pe set for the Fagot has them, just trying to figure out how to use them. Looking forward to more.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

12 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great start, but boy this stuff is tiny. :o

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter! 

4 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Looking good there Misterfriend! The cockpit has come up a treat hasn't it? I've painted many cockpits that size so I feel your pain. I looked at the L-39 last night, decided against it.  Quite interested in how you tackle the wing stakes, the pe set for the Fagot has them, just trying to figure out how to use them. Looking forward to more.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks Dazz, yeah I'm still pondering the PE wing strakes. They are a little bit nicer than the plastic ones, but the plastic ones are pretty fine I think. And butt joining PE at right angles to something is not something I enjoy doing. Plus I would be worried I would lose some of the wing detail in the removal process. I'm leaning towards ignoring the PE strakes I think, but I might remove a PE one from the fret and test fit it, then decide if I want to move forward.

I'm about to chop off the cannons as they are not needed for this version. 

mig19-5_zpszrboix5w.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Misterfriend said:

Thanks Peter! 

Thanks Dazz, yeah I'm still pondering the PE wing strakes. They are a little bit nicer than the plastic ones, but the plastic ones are pretty fine I think. And butt joining PE at right angles to something is not something I enjoy doing. Plus I would be worried I would lose some of the wing detail in the removal process. I'm leaning towards ignoring the PE strakes I think, but I might remove a PE one from the fret and test fit it, then decide if I want to move forward.

I'm about to chop off the cannons as they are not needed for this version. 

mig19-5_zpszrboix5w.jpg

Apparently,I've not tried this myself but whilst i was researching etch application the strakes should be quite easy,set them in place with a blob of plasticine each side getting them straight and true and using thin cyano on a pin head,and touching the base  capillary action will make sure the jobs done ,keep the plasticine far enough back so the glue doesn't go near it,, by the way los Angeles  and a 20 p piece?  Are you an ex pat

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Apparently,I've not tried this myself but whilst i was researching etch application the strakes should be quite easy,set them in place with a blob of plasticine each side getting them straight and true and using thin cyano on a pin head,and touching the base  capillary action will make sure the jobs done ,keep the plasticine far enough back so the glue doesn't go near it,, by the way los Angeles  and a 20 p piece?  Are you an ex pat

Ah nice, I'll give that a go. I was contemplating using white glue as it allows for a bit of fiddling around but I don't think the join would be strong enough. The decision was nearly made for me when I was test fitting one of them I dropped it and the carpet monster seemed to swallow it up, which is odd as I don't have carpet! Eventually found it  after a thorough search accompanied by bouts of swearing, and resolving to tidy my work area to avoid future mishaps!  

And yes I am an expat, been out here nearly eleven years but pop back when I can. Hopefully I'll be over end of May, have a a new niece I have to go and say hello to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm back! Work got rather busy and then I went on holiday but now I'm back. Little more progress, so far everything going together fairly nicely. The tail pipes are nice with the PE details added.

mig19-7_zpsuxw7edd2.jpg

So far added one of the wing fences. Very fiddly and annoying, not a fan of butt jointed PE. Tried using cyano and it was ugly, eventually went a different route and used, for the first time, Gator's Grip white glue which worked a treat. It's nice and grippy so it holds the piece and it's water soluble when wet and any excess can be removed with a damp brush. Started work on the underwing stores and hopefully get the wings on this week!

mig19-6_zpsanqasoev.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good. I'm always impressed with the detail that some people can put into something this small - this kind of detail is beyond me. 

You shouldn't have much trouble finding room for the finished model!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

I used some plans that I scaled down to 1/144 to get the position of the underwing stores as there are no locating pins, I'm gluing the rocket pylons on now, drilling and pinning the drop tanks for attaching later. Main construction is done and it's primed ready for some paint.

mig19-8_zpskufqzdo7.jpg

mig19-9_zpsw9jyvgnw.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks chaps!

Paint is done, decals are added. Just putting all the little bits and pieces on left to do. If I find a spare couple of hours this week I can get her done!

They supply the airbrakes as PE which are very nice. They don't have recesses for the airbrakes. Not a big issue as the MIG-19 airbrake wells are very shallow in real life. First I scribed the outer line a bit heavier, then I masked them off, painted them blue/grey and then did a little shading around the edge with oil paint to give some illlusion of depth. Should look alright once the airbrakes are added. Oh yes earlier I drilled a few tiny holes to attach them into as well. 

Cheers

mig19-11_zps4jagi7ys.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about done!

Added the ordinance.

mig19-13.jpg

Then the undercarriage and some rather fiddly PE gear doors

mig19-15.jpg

Some very tiny bits of PE. Photographed using a macro lens attachment for the iPhone, not sure I like it! 

mig19-12.jpg

And just about done. Letting the pitot tube dry and I'll get some nice photos later for the gallery. I really enjoyed this build, fiddly as hell but relatively straight forward. I'm so glad I discovered Gator's Grip glue. A million times easier and more forgiving than CA for all the butt joined PE parts and not as brittle when it dries. I may start doing more ambitious photo-etch stuff because of it.  

mig19-14.jpg

Cheers and thanks for watching!

Segan

• Like 6