Tamiya Paint Issues

GazB

Long story short, I have not had an enjoyable day of modelling. My new airbrush+compressor, bought to replace my previous one that had started acting up, turned out to be even worse both in the compressor and the airbrush (low power spray, spitting, popping from the brush) despite being the exact same make and model. Shaken my confidence in my airbrush (even a new one) to perform as expected.

To make matters worse, when I finally got a bit of painting done, two things happened. I recently purchased two pots of Tamiya Flat Black since I was always running out. In using the first one, not only did the new airbrush seem to eat up more paint than it spat out, but I got weird wet sploches throughout. After switching over to the other pot, an even worse result occurred. Bear in mind this is FLAT Black, it came out looking like Gloss Black. It dried as a Gloss as well.

Capping off the day was a bottle of Vallejo paint that was unbelievably tedious to use and spray.

Ordinarily I never have any problems with Tamiya paints other than a bit of spitting when I use white, but this was truly unbelievable. I can't tell if the paint has been mislabeled or what. Both pots were thinned in the same way as all previous pots of black have been. 

Airbrushing used to be quick and easy for me, but since mine went on the blink I've been stalled. Today was supposed to be a glorious return with maybe an hour of work, but turned into a 6-hour nightmare :angrysoapbox.sml:

While many people swear by Vallejo, I'm less than impressed with this bottle of Model Air. I just wish Tamiya would add some new colours to their range...and not put gloss paint in a matt pot.

Anyone had similar troubles with Tamiya?

Gaz

I've never had any problems with Tamiya (that wasn't my own fault) and I should imaging that they have a very rigorous quality control. Have you tried spraying with a batch of paint that you know is OK? I realise that you probably know more about airbrushes than I do, but have you checked the usual culprits like the moister taps and that there isn't any damage to the needle or nozzle on the new airbrush?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

I've never had any problems with Tamiya (that wasn't my own fault) and I should imaging that they have a very rigorous quality control. Have you tried spraying with a batch of paint that you know is OK? I realise that you probably know more about airbrushes than I do, but have you checked the usual culprits like the moister taps and that there isn't any damage to the needle or nozzle on the new airbrush?

After fiddling a bit with my airbrush, I managed to get my older one working (though it sounds horrendous, lol) enough to spray. I used the first pot again and it went on fine and Matt, although some of the gloss from the previous coat shined through a bit, giving it a subtle satin finish. But it was definitely the paint coming out glossy rather than anything with the airbrush. I considered it could be a problem with the thinner, but I added the same amount to both and shook them well before use.

Never had this issue in the past with Tamiya paint. Did think some paint had gone wrong once, but turned out I'd bought the gloss over the matt. Double-checked this time, though, and they are definitely both Flat Black.

Gaz

I generally find that a wet layer of Tamiya Matt will dry to a very dull finish if left to do so in its own time. I have had problems with it glossing but that has been down to inadequate mixing and attempts to force dry it. Ambient temperature can have an effect as well; spraying in the cold never seems to be a good idea. I'm not suggesting you've done any of the above but those are the times I've had problems with tamiya. 

• Like 1

Started using Tamiya on the last model. For a Harrier I used light grey XS 53 and XS 82 which is a darker grey.

The 53 came out as satin with a beautiful smooth finish.

The 82 came out matt and not so smooth.

Used up the first two bottles and started the new ones with the same effect. Both colours were well stirred.

Not had any problems with Vallejo Air but I use their flow improver. Tamiya as advised I dilute 20A thinners

filling a new bottle to the bottom of the neck. All the above with an Iwata .35 needle/nozzle.

Laurie

• Like 1