1/144 Roden British Eagle Bristol Britannia G-AOVC

Here is my recently finished Roden Britannia in the colours of British Eagle.

The kit went together very well with the only awkward areas being the props which are fiddly with a joint on the cone right between the blades. Very difficult to finish this off neatly as other Britannia modellers have already noted. Overall I am pleased with this model but wish I'd filled the panel lines as they are rather trench like. I have another one which will be finished in BOAC livery and will definitely be filling the panel lines on that. I normally do fill panel lines then redraw them with a sharp pencil, why I didn't on this one I don't know!

The decals are the recent 26 laser release and went on very well, as expected, and fitted like a glove. I particularly like the curtains behind the windows as I feel this adds to the realism, all that is needed are a few passengers looking out of the windows and some flight crew visible on the windshield decal. I have painted the red areas of the tail because I'm never confident decals will wrap around the curves of the leading edge and top without gaps or, even worse on a laser decal, overlaps. I also repainted the anti glare panel in front of the cockpit light blue as my research showed this to be the colour most British Eagle aircraft wore.

The natural metal areas were Mr Metal Color 218 Aluminium and Authentic Airliners High Shine Silver Metallic decals. I also used these decals for the darker banding around the engines and the areas near the exhausts. These may be a little too dark but I'm happy with the overall effect.

I have added the wire aerials and scratchbuilt the prominent pitots near the cockpit windows and also the 'rails' on the underside of the fuselage as the kit supplied parts were a little chunky.

G-AOVC has featured recently in RFI in another one of it's liveries namely that of Donaldson International which it wore after the collapse of British Eagle in November 1968.

Here is a link to Dave, Skodadriver's G-AOVC http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011172-an-anglo-scottish-britannia-in-1144/#comment-2525520

Enough words, here are the photos. Sorry there are so many, as usual I couldn't choose which to post so I've posted them all!

35710309925_20349865e1_o.jpg

35710310355_08eaf46b94_o.jpg

35710311015_ec0b7e2f5d_o.jpg

35710311355_2eb1c0f1a4_o.jpg

35710311845_3cf22a63e3_o.jpg

35323277090_75390f6b0e_o.jpg

Just for completeness and if anyone was wondering, I achieved the prop blur by using a hairdryer in front of the model to spin the props. I took my inspiration from Mitchem's SAA DC-4 photo's in the recent Airliner III Group build.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
Images reuploaded.
  • Like 54

Beautiful.

As I've mentioned in the discussion over in the Civil section here about this kit, it's my current "favourite" kit and I've got one almost finished in IAS Cargo Airlines colours (26decals) that will sit next to my Transglobe Brit. I was thinking of showing it here but looking at yours, I won't!!.

Did you free hand the white curve masking at the nose or did you cut round a suitable object first?

Thanks for sharing this build, it really is beautiful!

Jeff 

A lovely subject, very well modelled and photographed. I especially like the spinning props and the taxiway display. Well done, can we see any more like this?

What a super job you have made have made of one of the great classics, that really was a golden age.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Cheers Michael.                                           

Wow Ian!  What a fabulous build and brilliant photography.  :clap2:  The spinning props are amazingly realistic (memo to self - must try that sometime) and you can almost hear the whine of the Proteuses.  Photo 8 is my favourite - it looks as if she's just ready to start rolling.  Absolutely inspirational!

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

IAS Cargo Airlines colours (26decals) that will sit next to my Transglobe Brit.

You sound like a Gatwick local from the past?

Martin

Thanks for the praise everyone, I really appreciate it!

Jeff, I used the cap from a Microsol bottle for the curve, surprisingly it was the first thing I tried and it was spot on! Please do post your Britannia's on here I'm sure everyone else would like to see them too! We need more airliners!!

Britman, five Britannia's by my reckoning that's......20 props! You must be losing the will to live! Make sure you post them too, which liveries are they?

Lindan, I should have some more props sometime soon but next up is probably going to have turbofans.

Cheers,

Ian

Absolutely brilliant.  Terrific natural metal finish and one of the most attractive schemes ever to adorn the Britannia in my view.  The panel lines look fine to me.  I think 2-6 Decals have released this kit themselves with Eagle markings amongst others.  Presumably they have some sort of licence with Roden.  There's a big Britannia shaped hole in my collection which this has definitely inspired me to fill.