Wingnut Wings Rumpler C.IV

Another WNW kit. I'm really beginning to enjoy these and the more rigging I do the more confident I am with it. I'm still having problems with turnbuckle alignment but next time I'll fix the rigging to the turnbuckle then glue to the wing. More of a fiddle but the turnbuckles should then be in line with the rigging. All OOTB apart from the Gaspatch turnbuckles. EZ line for the rigging. I understand that these didn't get too weathered so apart from a bit of dust/dirt from the wheels I'll leave alone. One final thing-I really need to become proficient at bending the Spandau etched brass jacket as solid plastic does detract from the finished result. 

IMG_1422_zpslg3d6n7c.jpg
IMG_1421_zpsjmzylpdd.jpg
IMG_1420_zpsrkh8grmh.jpg
IMG_1419_zps9kmo4l0h.jpg
IMG_1418_zpsoatb0q7x.jpg
IMG_1416_zpszdiw2w4l.jpg

• Like 23

On the verge of buying one or two WNW kits, even though WW1 isn't my thing, the kits look fantastic. Just all the rigging puts me off a bit, although may start with a Roland C IIa or, the one I really fancy, the Hansa W.12.

Don't think I'd bother with turnbuckles though, after much contemplation, a couple of blobs of glue in the appropriate place may suffice.

:goodjob:  and nice one.

Davey.

Beautifully done, Peter, and in the LVG scheme I really like too. As for your turnbuckle problem - here is an easy (although fiddly) solution to make them flexible:

with Gaspatch turnbuckles (I use their 1/48 variety not 1/32 for my WNW as they look more subtle and in keeping with photographs - even though the 1/32 may be "correct" in scale), thread a short length (say, 2cm) of fine copper wire (mine are from 13-strand plastic-sheathed electronics wire) through one of the eyelets, double it back and twist as per Bob's Buckles to form a tidy loop - not too tight though - around the turnbuckle's eye; cut twisted length to about 2mm. This can then be inserted into the pre-drilled rigging point but be careful not to glue the eyelets. Done - nice flexible rigging point, whether you use monofilament or de-stranded Easyline (as I do).

Cheers

GrahamB

Edited by GrahamB
clarity
  • Like 1

nice work. l got a 1/72 l have to finish but l need to know the length of those wing struts as mine are all either too short in the kit or missing completely

19 hours ago, GrahamB said:

Beautifully done, Peter, and in the LVG scheme I really like too. As for your turnbuckle problem - here is an easy (although fiddly) solution to make them flexible:

with Gaspatch turnbuckles (I use their 1/48 variety not 1/32 for my WNW as they look more subtle and in keeping with photographs - even though they may be "correct" in scale), thread a short length (say, 2cm) of fine copper wire (mine are from 13-strand plastic-sheathed electronics wire) through one of the eyelets, double it back and twist as per Bob's Buckles to form a tidy loop - not too tight though - around the turnbuckle's eye; cut twisted length to about 2mm. This can then be inserted into the pre-drilled rigging point but be careful not to glue the eyelets. Done - nice flexible rigging point, whether you use monofilament or de-stranded Easyline (as I do).

Cheers

GrahamB

Hi Graham. Many thanks for the tip. I'll be trying it out on my next build. I much prefer the detail that you get with a WWI kit. The only downside is the loss of my eyesight! Need to get the rigging sorted as I have both the AEG and Gotha on my pile and I need to do them justice.

Thanks for commenting.

Peter

4 hours ago, peterh said:

Hi Graham. Many thanks for the tip. I'll be trying it out on my next build. I much prefer the detail that you get with a WWI kit. The only downside is the loss of my eyesight! Need to get the rigging sorted as I have both the AEG and Gotha on my pile and I need to do them justice.

Thanks for commenting.

Peter

Glad to be of help. I'm also learning and trying out things as I go along with the WNW kits (and other rigging - including 1/700 ships). I'd probably do monofilament rigging in preference to various elasticated threads but find the method of returning the thread through a short length of brass or other tube difficult and I don't like/find unconvincing the final appearance - even in the best examples. What is needed  IMHO is some kind of heat-shrinking plastic tube that squeezes onto the line. The main problem with the Easyline/UvR thread method is getting the knot (simple hitch) at the apex of the eyelet so that the main thread will run off straight ahead. Sometimes a third hand (my wife's!) can be useful to hold both loose ends tight and applying the tiny dab of superglue.

Good luck with your next projects - Gotha and AEG too big (and expensive) for me. Waiting for the bird's nest/cat's cradle of rigging that is the promised WNW Taube!

Cheers

GrahamB